Problems with Wi-Fi Connector and TCP/IP

anderwoo

WiiChat Member
May 27, 2007
We have a wired AOL (stop laughing) broadband connection with a BT Voyager 105 USB modem running on Windows XP Home edition.

A few weeks ago, a little icon appeared in the system tray constantly saying "Local Area Connection 2, Speed - 2.2Mbps, Status - Acquiring Network Address". The status does not change, it is constantly trying to acquire a network address.

Now, my internet connection still works fine, I've had no problems with accessing and browsing the internet at all. However, I recently bought a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector and that fails to install when it tries to configure the Internet Connection Sharing settings, saying there's been an "Internet Connection Sharing Error (6)". If I try to configure the settings manually, I can't remember at which point I get the error, but at some point it says "RPC Server Unavailable".

I don't use the AOL software when trying to install it, and even uninstalled ZoneAlarm completely as was recommended by Nintendo.

I think the problem lies with TCP/IP. When I view Hidden devices in the Device Manager, under Non Plug & Play devices, NetBios over Tcpip, it says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)" and the current status is Stopped. If I click on Start, it says "Net BT...The specified driver is invalid".

If I look in Computer Management, DHCP Client is not started, and if I try to do so it comes up with "Error 1068 - The dependency service or group failed to start". I checked the dependencies and they are as follows:
- AFD Networking Support Environment
- NetBT which expands to TCP/IP Protocol driver which further expands to IPSEC driver
- TCP/IP Protocol driver which expands to IPSEC driver

I get the same 1068 error if I try to start the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper from here.

afd.sys, tcpip.sys, and netbt.sys are all present in the sytem32/drivers folder.

If I do a Command prompt on IPCONFIG/ALL it shows the following:
- Description: GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
- DHCP Enabled: Yes
- Auto Config Enabled: Yes
- IP Address: 0.0.0.0
- Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
- Default Gateway: (Blank)
- DHCP Server: 0.0.0.0
- NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

Apologies for the very long message but I've tried to list everything that I've attempted in the hope that someone can please help me!! So please do...

Thanks

Back