Denial of Rights to Rights Activists

JainMark

WiiChat Member
Oct 3, 2007
There have always been challenges for human rights and political activists in all over the world. They are individuals, Civil rights groups or organizations who promote and protect human rights in different ways and in different capacities.

They uncover violations, subject them to public scrutiny and press for those responsible to be accountable. They empower individuals and communities to claim their basic entitlements as human beings. They represent some of the most marginalised civil society groups. However, because of their work they face a range of challenges. They are subjected to threats and torture, persecuted through the use of the judicial system. Unfounded investigations and prosecutions, surveillance of offices and homes, and the theft of important human rights information and documents are some of the tactics used to intimidate them and prevent them from continuing their work.

In a report, the Special Representative of the U.N. Secretary General on the situation of human rights defenders noted that defenders working on land rights, natural resources or environmental issues seem to be particularly at risk of attacks and violations of their rights.

We are living in a hostile environment. The people everywhere is witnessing armed conflicts in which civilian lives and livelihoods are the casualty. It is in such an environment that the work of human rights activists is most needed.

It gives hope that all the cases of attacks on human rights defenders, there is a broader people’s resistance and activists also fight their cases. texans for public justice, an independent organization in America has always been in the forefront of these fights.

did you just join to post this? dont discuss this crap on a video game forum, you wont get any positive/clever replies, such as this one

Well Jay this is pretty much the only place that this kind of topic can be discussed, and to be honest if I was in a less cynical mood I would read all of their post and comment, but right now I'd say things that I don't necessarily mean. As for your claim that they won't get any positive/clever responses, I beg to differ, if Squall comes across this post he always gives insightful and intelligent responses. Also there are other members who contribute to these types of threads. I personally dislike anything related to politics, but I feel that if I have any information or knowledge on the topic I'll post.

blueovalboy7 said:
As for your claim that they won't get any positive/clever responses, I beg to differ, if Squall comes across this post he always gives insightful and intelligent responses.
Thanx.

@JainMark
I've read the link, and I have to say that I'm a little confused. The article seemed to be implying that it's literally a front for Personal Injury Lawyers, and not as the group you implied.

I'll argee with any stance on maintaining human rights around the globe, but I do dislike Personal Injury lawyers for the sole reason that they seem just to be money grabbing and decietful.

I see adverts for personal injury lawyers on TV in the UK, they all claim to do the exact same thing: Fight for you, no win no fee, their fee comes directly from the people you're suing, and there's no mention of the other people losing their jobs because the company itself was no making enough profit.

Also bearing in mind that they seem more like a charity organisation, in relying on people donating money, yet they put a $100,000 cap on political organisation's contributions. But then they have been given a $107,000 but an undisclosed source. I see the value in putting a cap on things, so that you can still act freely without pissing your sponsors off, but shouldn't that be for everybody, not just political organisations?

McDonald did not object to O'Quinn's potential $5 million donation: "The system in Texas is out of whack. The concentration of political money should alarm all Texans, including the ability of one donor to give $1 million or more to a single campaign. But I don't begrudge Mr. O'Quinn from raising money to help the Democratic ticket. It is woefully underfunded compared to the special-interest money Gov. Perry has raised. . . . I'm not outraged." Austin American-Statesman, October 10, 2006.

I'll echo my first sentiments, I'll happily support any organisation that strives to maintain human rights, no matter where they are in the world, but this seems fishy to me. It seems like Personal Injury lawyers are trying to buy into what the TPJ is trying to do in order to make themselves available to those who the TPJ is trying to help, and TPJ is fine taking the money knowing that Personal Injury lawyers would hassle and try to make money out of the victims claims. Now, if the victims would go and search for a Personal Injury lawyer to take up their case, then that would be a different matter...

Also one last point, TPJ, the Texans for Public Justice, are they, as their name suggests, an organisation especially for Texas, or the US or are they more of a Global organisation?

Last edited:
Back