The Concept of Pride with Ethnicity/Nationality

Hmmm... I wonder whether or not I should get into this topic... Why not? lol.

Ok... so the basic topic is Why are people proud of their religion/ethnicity right? Ok... thats easy enough.

My opinion, and idc if others share this or not, is that people can be proud of their race/religion/ethnicity as long as they have a reason to be proud... not saying every race doesnt have its own right to be proud of itself, but if your one of those retarded folk who push that their race is best SIMPLY bc they are that race and they dont give any factual reason to be proud, then they dont deserve to say they are better than anyone else.

Well put. I have an Italian friend--he's first generation here in America which is quite rare to come across these days. He was born here and all, but when he sees other Italians, he bases them on a certain criteria that most "Italians" would fail. He calls them "fake Italians" and is truly proud of his true Italian culture, not the one altered by the surrounding society and people. Interestingly though, he cannot speak Italian and only understands it a little bit.

Interesting... I am full blood Italian myself. I was born in Florence, but moved here at age 2. I do speak fluent Italian, and am very proud of my peoples accomplishments, yet i still understand their faults.

yup.
i agree...
all races r the same in awesomeness, no matter wut anyone says.

Yea... But thats not the point i was trying to get across. My point is, all races are important, but if you dont even give reason to their importance or know the reasons why theyre important, then said people have no right to preach that their race is best.

Hmmm... I wonder whether or not I should get into this topic... Why not? lol.

Ok... so the basic topic is Why are people proud of their religion/ethnicity right? Ok... thats easy enough.

My opinion, and idc if others share this or not, is that people can be proud of their race/religion/ethnicity as long as they have a reason to be proud... not saying every race doesnt have its own right to be proud of itself, but if your one of those retarded folk who push that their race is best SIMPLY bc they are that race and they dont give any factual reason to be proud, then they dont deserve to say they are better than anyone else.

Well put. I have an Italian friend--he's first generation here in America which is quite rare to come across these days. He was born here and all, but when he sees other Italians, he bases them on a certain criteria that most "Italians" would fail. He calls them "fake Italians" and is truly proud of his true Italian culture, not the one altered by the surrounding society and people. Interestingly though, he cannot speak Italian and only understands it a little bit.

Interesting... I am full blood Italian myself. I was born in Florence, but moved here at age 2. I do speak fluent Italian, and am very proud of my peoples accomplishments, yet i still understand their faults.

yup.
i agree...
all races r the same in awesomeness, no matter wut anyone says.

Yea... But thats not the point i was trying to get across. My point is, all races are important, but if you dont even give reason to their importance or know the reasons why theyre important, then said people have no right to preach that their race is best.

However, why do people feel good about themselves and so proud when they did absolutely nothing to control their history (controlling the past is impossible)? That's what I want to find out, and I have a theory as to what the point is. Just watch the video I put displayed by George Carlin, people will probably understand my point better. Personal accomplishment is what people should be proud of, no something they played zero role in.

PrinceLink, from you're Indian, aren't you? And are you proud of your racial heritage?

The issue here is not just proud whites, because they are just ridiculous as proud blacks and proud Asians. Ultimately, racial appearance should appearance (and thank God that through His might black women were created for their looks), but it shouldn't define who you are, what you feel or your pride. People who are proud of their white heritage are ridculous, because white history has had some very shameful moments, and it's only a skin tone. The same applies for every race. Race is a mere appearance category, much like obesity. And you don't hear obese people being proud of their obesity, do you?

:D

I'm proud of my Indian Culture. And culture follows the heritage and culture of its early people.

But I still get pissed at people saying that they're proud to be white. If they said they were proud to be Swedish or British that would be fine. But not white. Proud White person is a #@$ and a @#$@#$, there mother is also a #$#@.

Good?

PrinceLink, from you're Indian, aren't you? And are you proud of your racial heritage?

The issue here is not just proud whites, because they are just ridiculous as proud blacks and proud Asians. Ultimately, racial appearance should appearance (and thank God that through His might black women were created for their looks), but it shouldn't define who you are, what you feel or your pride. People who are proud of their white heritage are ridculous, because white history has had some very shameful moments, and it's only a skin tone. The same applies for every race. Race is a mere appearance category, much like obesity. And you don't hear obese people being proud of their obesity, do you?

I'm proud of my Indian Culture. And culture follows the heritage and culture of its early people.

But I still get pissed at people saying that they're proud to be white. If they said they were proud to be Swedish or British that would be fine. But not white. Proud White person is a #@$ and a @#$@#$, there mother is also a #$#@.

Good?

People proud to be any color are annoying. People 'proud' to be a race just bug me.

People who are happy and appreciative of the accomplishments of the individuals of their heritage are the ones who will gain the bulk of my respect.

Good?

Fine by me, most white people I know should be degraded to the status of dirt and are generally ugly/stupid/both. I know that's racist, but it's true. The only people I've ever had contention with in my life have been white. Even though I know there is little correlation between the two, it has led me to the exact opposite conclusion of being proud of my race- as a matter of fact, I am ashamed to be white, give me black skin any day.

But this is all just shallow judgement of race, a feature that is nothing more than unnecessary baggage to most people and an accident of birth. Being proud of being British though- that I am.

People who are happy and appreciative of the accomplishments of the individuals of their heritage are the ones who will gain the bulk of my respect.

Racial heritage, no. National heritage, fine.

By the way PrinceLink, being Indian is both a race and nationality. Are you more proud of you nationality or your race?

By the way PrinceLink, being Indian is both a race and nationality. Are you more proud of you nationality or your race?

Hmmmm I'm from the North Part. Punjab to be exact. And we are soooooooo much better than the rest.

Actually we are the richest and most educated part too :p And we don't have as much poverty.

So I'm kinda proud that I'm Sikh and Punjabi. But I really appreciate my roots and my culture. I know it might sound jackass-ish now but I think I feel I have something to be proud of. Like some people would be mad that I'm proud of a religion that isn't theres so I'm taking a stand against them.

Also being from Punjab we have our own style of food, dances, holidays and lots of other things just from their and I'm proud and glad that I have them.

IDK where I'm going with this but ya.

Navarre aren't you proud that your British? I mean no matter what insults I can give you that you are from that wretched island (jk lol) you did do that whole Magna Carta thing. I mean that Cromwell guy was pretty cool.

No disrespect to Britain its just that be proud that your nation, that you are a member of, has a world hero.

When I said heritage I was speaking in terms of nationality. The word just didn't come right away. Still, I don't believe in that sort of 'pride' either. Just appreciation.

Hmmmm I'm from the North Part. Punjab to be exact. And we are soooooooo much better than the rest.

Actually we are the richest and most educated part too :p And we don't have as much poverty.

So I'm kinda proud that I'm Sikh and Punjabi. But I really appreciate my roots and my culture. I know it might sound jackass-ish now but I think I feel I have something to be proud of. Like some people would be mad that I'm proud of a religion that isn't theres so I'm taking a stand against them.

Also being from Punjab we have our own style of food, dances, holidays and lots of other things just from their and I'm proud and glad that I have them.

IDK where I'm going with this but ya.

Navarre aren't you proud that your British? I mean no matter what insults I can give you that you are from that wretched island (jk lol) you did do that whole Magna Carta thing. I mean that Cromwell guy was pretty cool.

No disrespect to Britain its just that be proud that your nation, that you are a member of, has a world hero.

Lol thanks for that comment, it reveals a lot of what I see as pointless or blind, in a sense =D

You see, you truly believe that the Punjab people up north are better than the Indians down south, who are less educated. Ever wonder how the poverty rate is relative to the location you are at? How much tax dollars are spent in certain areas usually play a vital role in determining the crime levels and overall poverty. Less-developed areas are a clear sight of this, not the people themselves. When you feel superior and good about it, you are almost saying that you did something to BE Punjabi and better, and thus have a right to say it. You don't. You could have been born Albanian, supported the Albanian nation with all your heart, and truly believed that it was the greatest and most beautiful country in the world--with your approach.

Lol thanks for that comment, it reveals a lot of what I see as pointless or blind, in a sense =D

You see, you truly believe that the Punjab people up north are better than the Indians down south, who are less educated. Ever wonder how the poverty rate is relative to the location you are at? How much tax dollars are spent in certain areas usually play a vital role in determining the crime levels and overall poverty. Less-developed areas are a clear sight of this, not the people themselves. When you feel superior and good about it, you are almost saying that you did something to BE Punjabi and better, and thus have a right to say it. You don't. You could have been born Albanian, supported the Albanian nation with all your heart, and truly believed that it was the greatest and most beautiful country in the world--with your approach.

Wait what's the question? And what blindness?

I guess I'm just glad that I'm from a good part that had a good history. Mainly why were so successful is the fact that we are Sikh and not Hindi so we left their caste system that eventually hurt them.

And HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA India's government using taxes to help the country. LOL just funny there.

I guess I'm just glad that I'm from a good part that had a good history. Mainly why were so successful is the fact that we are Sikh and not Hindi so we left their caste system that eventually hurt them.

And HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA India's government using taxes to help the country. LOL just funny there.

Well what i meant was there are definitely some more developed portions of India than others--there are FEW and FAR between, most countries have sharp divides of people when it comes to classes (India especially, I mean HELLO Caste system is extremely popular).

Also, when you say you're from the "good part with the good history", I can't help to believe that it is a completely biased statement. I mean it may have been true that Northern India was not occupied nearly as much as the south or that the people were generally richer, but it is based on that person's perspective which will naturally be to raise the status of their own nation/people. It's similar to ethnocentrism (look it up, it's an interesting concept) Being born into a "North Indian family" was not your choice...what makes you glad about it? What can you do/accomplish that you couldn't do as a South Indian?

Well what i meant was there are definitely some more developed portions of India than others--there are FEW and FAR between, most countries have sharp divides of people when it comes to classes (India especially, I mean HELLO Caste system is extremely popular).

Also, when you say you're from the "good part with the good history", I can't help to believe that it is a completely biased statement. I mean it may have been true that Northern India was not occupied nearly as much as the south or that the people were generally richer, but it is based on that person's perspective which will naturally be to raise the status of their own nation/people. It's similar to ethnocentrism (look it up, it's an interesting concept) Being born into a "North Indian family" was not your choice...what makes you glad about it? What can you do/accomplish that you couldn't do as a South Indian?

I wouldn't be in America.....

See you need money or connections usually to get out of India which we all strive for.

Most people who get out are either from Punjab or Gujarat which are the North and East parts. And sometimes the New Delhi region.

So you I'm glad I'm from the North because if I wasn't I wouldn't be having this conversation.

I wouldn't be in America.....

See you need money or connections usually to get out of India which we all strive for.

Most people who get out are either from Punjab or Gujarat which are the North and East parts. And sometimes the New Delhi region.

So you I'm glad I'm from the North because if I wasn't I wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oh I see your point. In the end (I'm not trying to be stubborn, believe me) there are people in the southern region claiming that they are very happy with life and that the people living in Europe and "the west" or even "the north" are actually miserable people. Just saying that is a viewpoint by many poorer regions, and there's definitely some truth to it.

Oh I see your point. In the end (I'm not trying to be stubborn, believe me) there are people in the southern region claiming that they are very happy with life and that the people living in Europe and "the west" or even "the north" are actually miserable people. Just saying that is a viewpoint by many poorer regions, and there's definitely some truth to it.

Nah I've been there. Maybe 1 or 2 people out of the billion there are happy but most want to GTFO.

Back