Did Zelda basically create RPGs?

Homesrfan

ftw
Nov 1, 2006
Sorry if this topic is completely stupid, but I've recently heard that Zelda was basically the first, or the first major RPG. Is that true? Just wondering. :D

Yea, definitly one of the first MAJOR Rpgs if not first. They definitly started the major franchise in my eyes tho.

euhm, no. there were tons of rpg's before the first zelda, on pc.
Weren't there text-based rpg's in the '70s on computers with the graphical capability of just a few lines of text?

It did start a major zelda franchise :thumbsup:

The Ultima series got started in 1980, many years before Zelda. That was definitely a major series.

In short Zeldas not a rpg theres no leveling up (exept the second one)

I dont think that Zelda created RPGs but they did help to create the world of RPGs i think that the Final Fantasy games pretty much created RPG.

If Zelda is an RPG, then Adventure for the Atari 2600 is an RPG, and that pre-dates Zelda by more than a decade.

And actually, I think it's a stretch to call Zelda an RPG, more just an adventure game. RPGs typically involve multiple character types where your attributes change or improve over time. The line is a bit blurry though, so it's hard to give a definite category. However, even if Zelda is firmly in the RPG category, it is definitely not the first one by a long shot.

Back