Differences in hardware between White, Black and Red Wiis

AussieDave

WiiChat Member
Dec 14, 2010
Hello, I'm looking to join the Wii family but I'm on a bit of a budget so I'll likely be buying a second hand one for $150 AU. This will be a white one of a couple of years old.

I just want to check if there is any difference in the hardware in the old white Wiis vs the new red and black Wiis? I know that Wii motion plus comes in the black Wii (addon) and the red Wii (built into the controller) but I could just buy that in addition anyway.

I know there haven't been drastic improvements like HD graphics or anything but has a single thing changed in the hardware that is noticeable?

i doubt it, there might be differences in firmware updates but once you've done the online update, all should be the same.

if you're buying second hand be sure you're offered some sort of warranty as something might go wrong.

I'd recommend a New console, because many Used Wiis end up hacked or have mod Chips in them. A hacked or Modded Wii tend to keep users from doing things they want like they cannot update, you may not be able to play Wii Discs, or be able to Download VC/WiiWare Games.

Gamestop might have some decent used systems (That aren't hacked or Modded).

No improvements in hardware. No change.

Last edited:
I'll be buying it from EB games so it has a 12 month warranty and I'm pretty confident that it won't be modded. Cheers fellas, I'll buy that then!

Back