Dolby Pro Logic II but how?

gamechaser001 said:
two things

1. How do you expect me to take you seriously when you can't even spell impossible correctly? I can tell that it isn't chat slang, it's just a plain misspelling, now listen, I misspell too, a lot of people do, but it was appearent at just a glance that you misspelled twice, if you have to, try using Microsoft Word and look for the red lines, sorry if that came out rude, I didn't mean to be, just saying that people aren't going to take you seriously when you do

2. You still aren't showing me proof, a simple link is all i'm asking for, here's how I see it, if you can't find anything to back you up, you might as well not know what you are talking about

Lets see YOU provide a link.

Both of you are right to an extent but things are getting worded wrong or just confused. I think, people might be confusing a real IMAX theater to some theaters being built today that call a screen or two an IMAX screen. The movies you watch in a multiplex, even if it says IMAX on the side, are NOT the same thing you find at the science museum. At the science museum (and similar such venues) is you where you find true IMAX experience with multi-channel audio that was recorded that way as well.

Dolby Pro Logic is a way (the standard way) to encode audio so that the right equipment can decode the audio into separate channels when played back. The nice thing about Dolby encodings is that they "fail gracefully" in that a standard 2 channel TV or receiver will play all of the sound, but a receiver with Dolby decoding will take the sounds and play them on the appropriate channels when instructed.

To answer the original poster, this is why the Wii (and any audio source using RCA connections) can get away with just a left and right output. The audio really is encoded on just those two channels but using the correct decoding equipment the sound can be expanded to other channels, depending on how the encoding was done.

mym6 said:
Both of you are right to an extent but things are getting worded wrong or just confused. I think, people might be confusing a real IMAX theater to some theaters being built today that call a screen or two an IMAX screen. The movies you watch in a multiplex, even if it says IMAX on the side, are NOT the same thing you find at the science museum.

IMAX is a film format - a large frame film format. If a theater says "IMAX" then it means it is using an IMAX projector to project IMAX film. Some screens used in IMAX theaters are larger others, but that doesn't mean that only the largest are IMAX.

you could try a simple search to find most of this out.. or go here and ask someone im sure they will explain it to you
http://forums.studentfilms.com
you might even learn something about film making

as your basing your own facts on a piece of film strip you were given on a tour and no acctual experience in it, pretty far strech from being an expert... as for my spelling..lol thats your problem not mine ive always had bad spelling but then again im not sending out a report or anything so i really dont care...

there is a difference between an imax theater and an imax film not all films in an imax theater are in imax format.. some are just movies streched to fit the screen.. same way the strech or shrink a film to fit your t.v.

one loop hole i forgot to mention was coax... coax seems to go agenst the trend of "more inputs better signal" only being one rca cable to give you digital sound.. the only difference is coax is made specifically for decoding these signals... so it can get away with it.. one source of audio and the decoder tells it where to go it was made specifically for surround sound... but when using rca's its just pulling this signal out of the standard audio already then converts it to surround sound... its ontop of the basic stereo sound then decoded... where coax is made specific for it...

Last edited:
wezeles said:
there is a difference between an imax theater and an imax film not all films in an imax theater are in imax format.. some are just movies streched to fit the screen.. same way the strech or shrink a film to fit your t.v.
You fail to understand the difference of IMAX and IMAX 3-D, which are both different things, well, they are the same to some standpoint

IMAX is just a big projection and a way better sound system (as you explained before), only IMAX film can run in IMAX projectors, the IMAX film runs faster than normal theater film (I forgot where I heard this, I believe it was something on the Disney channel, I will look for a link), I also think the film size (measured in millimeters) is different so an IMAX projector can't in any form play normal theater film, all films played on an IMAX projector is in IMAX format, just not always 3-D

IMAX 3-D on the other hand uses the same principle as above (2-D version), except there are 2 different filmstrips running 2 different projections (I know this for a fact, I saw the different beams of light when seeing an IMAX 3-D movie), the second filmstrip (usually on top) projects on top of the standard filmstrip creating what looks like a ghosting effect (If you have a bad cable connection, or use an antenna, you know what I am talking about), when you put on the 3-D glasses, the glasses focus the ghost like image to form what your eyes think is a 3-D image

I will look for a link that better explains what I am trying to say

first i thought we were discussing surround sound not video
i thought you were reffering to imax and a film played in imax... for instance i went and saw spider man 2 here at our imax.. it wasnt filmed with an imax camera or in imax audio at all just adapted to fit the film size for imax projectors.. the acctual film of imax compared to a standard projector film is almost 10 times as big... but there are a few different video setups for imax films 2d and 3d like you said and they do run at higher speeds for the frames per second compared to a normal movie.. and the 3d is an interlace of two or more films at once.. if you ever get a chance to go behind the workings of an imax theater its awsome to see in action

eaither way i was talking about the audio not the video part of imax.. and how imax itself has audio recording in true surround...not digitally enhanced to mimic surround sound, so really what type of imax film it is has nothing to do with it.. just the fact that its in "true surround"

Last edited:
Back