England Smoking Ban

CCScandalus said:
did y'all even read my post???

Gaz, a lot of wrong things are generally accepted... how about a thousands of years ago when everybody thought the earth was flat? it was a generally accepted fact. the people who said otherwise were made fun of.... now it's the other way around. experiments aren't always accurate... especially studying rats and such who are just a little bit different from humans. and medical journals post results of experiments... some being very accurate, and others not so accurate. its for people to study, QUESTION, and learn from. not to accept blindly.

Brandon... i never said that smoking wasn't bad for you. i'm talking about second-hand smoke, and if you didn't realize that, you should use some common sense. i KNOW that smoking is bad for you. i'm not an idiot, despite what you may think.

i'm tired of the ignorance...

There are still some people who think the earth is flat, you haven't explored these forums much have you? There's basically a conspiracy for everything. It also cannot be a mere coincidence that the children of smokers are most likely to smoke in their lives, because they have had some effect of nicotine in their system.

Today is advanced, we generally know what we are doing, we have laws, we know what ethics are. We know that passive smoking harms. You can detect it when you enter a room with a smoker and start coughing.

You must be tired of your own ignorance.

yall are really being idiots and keep changing the subject. none of your points have disproved my points. i know passive smoke can be unpleasant for people... but, a lot of things are unpleasant for people that aren't illegal. there are a lot of reasons children of smokers are more likely to smoke... they're available to them to steal easily, nicotine passed on in the blood of the mother during pregnancy, they think it's more acceptable...

and frogger, i may be ignorant in some things, but this is an instance where i know my ****.

yall aren't even considering my points... and i'm tired of typing the same thing over and over again because yall keep bringing up the same points.

it's ridiculous to ban smoking in bars. nobody goes to bars for their health anyway.

CCScandalus said:
yall are really being idiots and keep changing the subject. none of your points have disproved my points. i know passive smoke can be unpleasant for people... but, a lot of things are unpleasant for people that aren't illegal. there are a lot of reasons children of smokers are more likely to smoke... they're available to them to steal easily, nicotine passed on in the blood of the mother during pregnancy, they think it's more acceptable...

and frogger, i may be ignorant in some things, but this is an instance where i know my ****.

yall aren't even considering my points... and i'm tired of typing the same thing over and over again because yall keep bringing up the same points.

it's ridiculous to ban smoking in bars. nobody goes to bars for their health anyway.

I find you absolutely pathetic. You're denying a fact, how can you not call that ignorance?

CCScandalus said:
it's not a fact.

you find me pathetic because my point of view is different than yours?

that attitude is all that is wrong with the world.

Open your eyes.

What is passive smoking?

Simply, breathing in other people's tobacco smoke. This is made up of "sidestream" smoke from the burning tip of the cigarette, and "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then exhaled by the smoker.

Sidestream smoke accounts for nearly 85% of the smoke in a room.

What's in the smoke?

Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemicals in the form of particles and gases.

The particulate phase includes tar, nicotine, benzene and benzo(a)pyrene.

The gas phase includes carbon monoxide, ammonia, dimethylnitrosamine, formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide and acrolein.

It has been estimated that tobacco smoke contains as many as 60 substances which cause - or are suspected of causing - cancer.

And many irritate the tissues of the respiratory system.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the USA has classified environmental tobacco smoke as a class A carcinogen - ranking it alongside asbestos and arsenic.

What effect does it have on the passive smoker?

Breathing in other people's smoke can cause eye irritation, headache, cough, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. Just 30 minutes exposure can be enough to reduce blood flow through the heart.

There is also evidence to show that people with asthma can experience a significant decline in lung function when exposed.

Whether or not passive smoking can trigger new cases of asthma is a hotly debated issue.

What about in the longer term?

Non-smokers who are exposed to passive smoking in the home, have a 25% increased risk of heart disease and lung cancer.

Researchers from London's St George's Medical School and the Royal Free hospital have recently found when you include exposure to passive smoking in the workplace and public places the risk of coronary heart disease is increased by 50-60%.

A major review in 1998 by the Government-appointed Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) concluded that passive smoking is a cause of lung cancer and ischaemic heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a cause of respiratory disease, cot death, middle ear disease and asthmatic attacks in children.

There is also some evidence to suggest that passive smoking may affect children's mental development.

SCOTH has looked at the data since 1998 and concluded secondhand smoke is damaging.

However, it is true that the health risks of breathing in other people's tobacco smoke are much smaller than those posed by actually smoking.

And the pro-smoking lobby, including the campaigning group FOREST, argue that the case against passive smoking has never been properly proved.

They point to a study by the University of California published in the British Medical Journal which found that the link between environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

This in turn, is disputed by the anti-smoking lobby, which points out that after considering the BMJ study, the UK Government's Committee on Carcinogens and SCOTH still concluded that environmental tobacco smoke is carcinogenic, and responsible for several hundred deaths a year in the UK.

How widespread is passive smoking?

Of course, anybody who regularly frequents pubs or bars is inevitably going to breathe in a significant amount of tobacco smoke.

However, a survey by the anti-smoking charity ASH in 1999 found that about 3million people in the UK are exposed to passive smoke at work.

And it is also estimated that almost half of all children in the UK are exposed to tobacco smoke at home.

One study found that in households where both parents smoke, young children have a 72% increased risk of respiratory illnesses.

Research also shows that children whose parents smoke in the home are more likely to be admitted to hospital for bronchitis and pneumonia in the first year of life.

More than 17,000 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital every year because of the effects of passive smoking.

you kids in the uk are tainted by the liberal media

get over yourselves and leave the smokers alone. the outdoors is HUGE AND AIRY.

kindly walk away its that simple we don't harass you for your choices so well worry about our own lungs

frogger stop acting like your so omnicient. its annoying and you act like a snot about it :rolleyes:

you guys can thank my state new york for starting the smoking bans years ago so im all too familiar with the rules and regulations

Last edited by a moderator:
The_Loose_Cannon said:

kindly walk away its that simple we don't harass you for your choices so well worry about our own lungs

frogger stop acting like your so omnicient. its annoying and you act like a snot about it :rolleyes:

thank you.

The_Loose_Cannon said:

you guys can thank my state new york for starting the smoking bans years ago so im all too familiar with the rules and regulations

Well, if I was I'd correct all of your spelling mistakes, but, no.

Anyway, the media tell us the correct message, that smoking is bad for you. If you want to promote it, then so be it, I like being in the UK because of our laws.

Frogger said:
Well, if I was I'd correct all of your spelling mistakes, but, no.

Anyway, the media tell us the correct message, that smoking is bad for you. If you want to promote it, then so be it, I like being in the UK because of our laws.

don't flatter yourself child im typing on a wii and this isnt a formal coversation where spelling and punctuation matter

your laws are unrealistic just like your media defence.

you shouldn't believe everything you read and here little girl. when youre older you'll understand

The_Loose_Cannon said:
don't flatter yourself child im typing on a wii and this isnt a formal coversation where spelling and punctuation matter

your laws are unrealistic just like your media defence.

you shouldn't believe everything you read and here little girl. when youre older you'll understand

So aliens exist? So God isn't real? So the world is flat? There's questions that people can't answer, but there are answers that people choose not to believe.

Our laws are perfectly realistic, more so than yours, we have regards for life. I direct you to the Welfare State.

frogger, you're not making any sense.

anyway, the smoking ban originated in the u.s. hell, my little ole home town in mississippi started a smoking ban a year or two ago.

Frogger said:
So aliens exist? So God isn't real? So the world is flat? There's questions that people can't answer, but there are answers that people choose not to believe.

Our laws are perfectly realistic, more so than yours, we have regards for life. I direct you to the Welfare State.

welfare state? please you'd like to believe that wouldn't you? when you get out of that liberal bubble of yours and experience the real world then just then you'll know what welfare really means

for the record, aliens exist, god is false (imo), we know the world is round from travelers and technology OH! and so were clear. youre barely established and still a child! i just like to point that out youre barely even old enough to TOUCH a ciggerette

Back