ESRB Rating Distributions for ALL

Bliss said:
OMG big deal i got the numbers wrong..numbers still low no matter wat.. but still u didnt answer wat i said...would u want the ratio that low?????????
That isn't what you asked. You asked if I would expect that. I wouldn't expect 15%, thats too high for something from Nintendo. I did expect the ratio to be that low. It isn't extremely surprising that Nintendo consoles don't have M rated games. I would prefer that the ratio was higher, but that doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon.

Gamasutra, also known as Gamedeveloper Magazine publishes the most accurate info on the game industry. It's a great place to learn the top 20 all time highest selling games. Enjoy guys.

1. Mario (Nintendo): 193 million
2. Pokemon (Nintendo): 155 million
3. Final Fantasy (Square Enix): 68 million
4. Madden NFL (Electronic Arts): 56 million
5. The Sims (Maxis/Electronic Arts): 54 million
6. Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar): 50 million
7. Donkey Kong (Nintendo): 48 million
8. The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo): 47 million
9. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega): 44 million
10. Gran Turismo (Sony): 44 million
11. Lineage (NCsoft): 43 million
12. Dragon Quest (Square Enix): 41 million
13. Crash Bandicoot (Sony/Vivendi): 34 million
14. Resident Evil (Capcom): 31 million
15. James Bond (Various Companies): 30 million
16. Tomb Raider (Eidos Interactive): 30 million
17. Mega Man (Capcom): 26 million
18. Command & Conquer (Westwood Studios/Electronic Arts): 25 million
19. Street Fighter (Capcom): 25 million
20. Mortal Kombat (Midway): 20 million

No surprises here. Now that I'm 18, I pay no attention to the ESRB rating because I don't care. If a game is good, I'll buy it. I'm not superficial enough to worry about whether a game is M-rated or not because ratings don't show the whole picture. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is rated E-10 (I think) yet it's a pretty mature game. But someone who was shallow would judge FE10 as "kiddy". Zach and Wiki is rated E but the gameplay and difficulty is suitable for mature gamers. Metroid Prime 3 is only rated T (the same as Brawl). No More Heroes, rated M, looks as fun as hell.

So yeah, I don't care. Probably the reason why games on Nintendo consoles are mostly E-rated is because the shovelware are rated that.

cool pie charts explains a lot but ratings dont matter to me unless a game like GTA was a E

RedProdigy said:
No surprises here. Now that I'm 18, I pay no attention to the ESRB rating because I don't care. If a game is good, I'll buy it. I'm not superficial enough to worry about whether a game is M-rated or not because ratings don't show the whole picture. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is rated E-10 (I think) yet it's a pretty mature game. But someone who was shallow would judge FE10 as "kiddy". Zach and Wiki is rated E but the gameplay and difficulty is suitable for mature gamers. Metroid Prime 3 is only rated T (the same as Brawl). No More Heroes, rated M, looks as fun as hell.

So yeah, I don't care. Probably the reason why games on Nintendo consoles are mostly E-rated is because the shovelware are rated that.
I agree mostly, but sometimes you just want to go blow the **** out of something, and that obviously isn't going to happen in an E rated game.

paintba||er said:

I agree mostly, but sometimes you just want to go blow the **** out of something, and that obviously isn't going to happen in an E rated game.

But you could easily get to go blow **** up in a T game. You don't need a game rated M to go destroy stuff.

largedarry said:
But you could easily get to go blow **** up in a T game. You don't need a game rated M to go destroy stuff.
Ya, but its not as satisfying. In T games it will most likely be some fictitious creature that fades into the ground when it dies, or something with fruity purple blood. In a M rated game you can kill something that actually exists, (humans) and watch little pieces of them splat on the wall. :)

paintba||er said:

Ya, but its not as satisfying. In T games it will most likely be some fictitious creature that fades into the ground when it dies, or something with fruity purple blood. In a M rated game you can kill something that actually exists, (humans) and watch little pieces of them splat on the wall. :)

finally something i can agree with u on :lol:

First off I would like to thank Bliss for the presentation of ESRB ratings breakdown. I don't think there was ever a doubt that Nintendo has got a primary focus on E rated games, much the same as Disney has for G rated films. I applaud Nintendo for the commitment and as a parent I feel much more comfortable allowing my daughter access to the Wii. I know that the games she will be playing, for the most part, will be acceptable for her.

Now with regard to Sony and Microsoft I am glad to see that both of their platforms support a good balance of games for all age ranges making them more well rounded.

cgbolton1 said:
First off I would like to thank Bliss for the presentation of ESRB ratings breakdown. I don't think there was ever a doubt that Nintendo has got a primary focus on E rated games, much the same as Disney has for G rated films. I applaud Nintendo for the commitment and as a parent I feel much more comfortable allowing my daughter access to the Wii. I know that the games she will be playing, for the most part, will be acceptable for her.

Now with regard to Sony and Microsoft I am glad to see that both of their platforms support a good balance of games for all age ranges making them more well rounded.

Your welcome, glad i can help u see which console is right for ur children

"When I stopped being a child, I put away childish things, including the fear of being thought childish, and the over strong desire to be grown-up"

A quote many could learn from.

One of the core problems in Gaming, at this time, is that many gamers feel like they aren't allowed to enjoy 'kids' games. If you like Pokemon and you're over 12 something is wrong with you, If you like animal crossing something is wrong with you, if you like games where the conflict is friendly something is wrong with you.
They have this mind set that, somehow, only games with gritty content, games that center around Hard Conflict, have merit. Mario is just a silly game, but in Halo/Medal of Honor/WWII game #489845/Grand Theft Auto:Newark I'm fighting for my life/honor.

So, consoles that don't show a decent presence of M and high violence T games get looked down on, because many gamers are just to insecure to say, "Yes, I'm 27 and I play Pokemon, because it's fun".

Edit: This is not to say that I don't LIKE M games. I do. I love crashing my Vespa into all parts of Vice City... I love head shots that pop people like balloons. I'm just saying that, contrary to the attitude of many of my 'peers', a game doesn't need to be violent to be good.

Last edited:
TiwazTyrsfist said:
Grand Theft Auto:Newark I'm fighting for my life/honor.
".

:lol: i like that title..maybe Brooklyn instead on Newark :lol:

No but i agree with that but there are times when u need to unload, esp. after a hard day of work or school for some of u and u just wanna relax have a beer and blow someones head off..

i have nothing against E rated games...its just that i feel now as i am growing older i feel nintendo should grow with me that all..

Nintendo has always had a sort of negative stance on the M rated games. Years ago, when the first Mortal Kombat was released on consoles, the SNES had the worst one. Not only was their no glorious red blood, but it just sucked to play overall. They've always been like this, trying to keep things somewhat "kid-friendly".

See, this is the thing: If you want the M-rated titles, look at the pie charts. They tell you what system to buy and what not to buy. When I bought the Wii, I knew it wasn't going to be a bloodfest. Well, trying to get a Wii can be a bloodfest, but that's a different story. I wasn't looking for M-rated games. Can we all just agree that Nintendo titles aren't and shouldn't be geared toward mature? Playing the Wii is like a little slice of childhood, and it's good that way.

Maybe when prices drop more I'll consider a PS3 purchase, but I still haven't seen enough games to interest me. Until then, let each company and each system play their respective roles. That's the great thing about these consoles--if you like a certain thing, you always have the option, the choice, to buy the console that matches your likes. And face it--some of us are just going to need more than one console to truly be happy.

Back