F1 Spying

Foxy

Super Ninjarator
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
3881-9484-9041-5848
The F1 team known as Mercedes McLaren have been hit with point deductions and a record $100 million fine. This is all a result of the spying incident which has been going on between Ferrari and Mercedes McLaren.

From Sky Sports Website:

"The FIA has hit McLaren with an unprecedented $100 million fine and docked the team its constructors' championship points for the current season after finding them guilty of spying on rivals Ferrari.

However, after both drivers gave evidence in the case, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso have escaped sanction, meaning they are free to chase this year's world drivers' title.

"The WMSC (World Motor Sports Council) has stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructors points in the 2007 FIA Formula One world championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season," the FIA said.

"Furthermore the team will pay a fine equal to $100 million (£49.2 million), less the FOM income lost as a result of the points deduction."

The WMSC has also withheld a decision regarding next year's constructors' championship until the team's 2008 car can be scrutinised to see whether it uses Ferrari intellectual property.

"The WMSC will receive a full technical report on the 2008 McLaren car and will take a decision at the December 2007 meeting after what sanction, if any, will be imposed on the team for the 2008 season," it added.

Hamilton leads Alonso by three points in the drivers' standings with just four races - including Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix - remaining.

The team had originally been found guilty of fraudulent conduct in July, after Ferrari's former head of performance development, Nigel Stepney, allegedly handed information to suspended McLaren designer Mike Coughlan.

However, on that occasion, the FIA decided there was insufficient evidence that McLaren had actually used the information to its advantage.

FIA president Max Mosley then referred the case to a Court of Appeal, but after fresh evidence surfaced - purported to be an email exhange between Alonso and test driver Pedro de la Rosa - a second WMSC meeting was instigated. "

From the official F1 website:

"McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 constructors’ championship and fined US$100 million following Thursday’s FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing in Paris. Drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have not been penalized and are free to continue their fight for the drivers' title.

"The WMSC have stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructor points in the 2007 FIA Formula One world championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season,” said an FIA statement.

"Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM (Formula One Management) income lost as a result of the points deduction.”

The penalty follows McLaren’s admission that the team was in possession of confidential technical data belonging to rivals Ferrari, who are now all but assured of the 2007 constructors’ title."

Discuss.

I was dying to hear the outcome of this spying scandal. I'm glad Hamilton and Alonso are allowed to continue fighting for the championship because I really want Hamilton to win. But as I always have done I prefer the team of Ferrari, it's just it'd be nice to see a rookie English driver win it! So I guess I'm glad that McLaren have been kicked out of the constructors. I just wonder what will happen next season. Apparently there's been doubts whether they'll be able to continue, then my ideal situation of Ferrari picking up Hamilton could, and probably would come to life!

I reckon Alonso is pretty made up, I think he wants out of McLaren. I'd love to know what was in the email he sent to de la Rosa! I guess all action will be back to the track now though, the last four races are sure to be very interesting.

Yea I heard about this on ESPN earlier today, my ass he had the info and didn't use it. 100 million is effing insane though. Makes the Patriots coaches fine look like change you find in the couch.

that an wopping amount of money, bmw use to be my fav. team until juan pablo montoya went to mclaren, then i loved mclaren, so its huge important news for me, its too bad montoya went to nascar

zapasant93 said:
that an wopping amount of money, bmw use to be my fav. team until juan pablo montoya went to mclaren, then i loved mclaren, so its huge important news for me, its too bad montoya went to nascar
You can have montoya back, we hate him in NASCAR, he's just a ***** of a driver in every NASCAR series he races in. I mean the SOB wrecked his own teammate, what kind of sh*t is that?

Back