Face it, Blu-Ray is needed

Shiftfallout said:
Obviously the technology has evolved since 1982's betamax. I mean that betamax as a form of technology is still being used. Thus I mentioned the betacam, which then turned into other forms of "beta" products within the film industry. Surely you must have realized this? nice try though.
That wasn't made clear in some posts (not even sure that they were by you)and could have been misunderstood by anyone who dosen't know much about the history of the Betamax format. While Betacam and Betamax use the same kind of technology they are far from being the same thing, Betamax only had 2 recording heads and recorded in composite video where as Betacam used 4 heads to record in component with improved video and sound quality. Beta SP then replaced Betacam and it is still used today along with further Beta innovations such as the digital Beta stuff. As a lead to the other Beta technologies then i would agree that Betamax was influential but the actual Betamax home format itself was a resounding flop (although not as bad as V2000 was).

Back on the Blueray subject, i dont think it is needed right now except for lazy developers. By the time Pirates of the Carribean 5 comes out then yes it may be needed but thats still a few years away.

If Sony had left out the Blueray and priced the PS3 nearer the 360 then it would have trounced the 360 purely on the strength of the Playstation brand. By including the Blueray they ignored what made the PS1 and PS2 such a success, that being affordability to the average joe.

raisinghelen said:
Back on the Blueray subject, i dont think it is needed right now except for lazy developers. By the time Pirates of the Carribean 5 comes out then yes it may be needed but thats still a few years away.
But what would we do in those few years when it is needed if the PS3 didn't have Blu-ray?

The problem is, is that even if you get an xbox 360 you will end up spending close to or more than the initial cost of the ps3 due to added features, accessories, addons, and xbox live. So for 199$ more you get wi-fi, a better hard drive that is upgradable to any ammount (pc HD), blue ray, blue tooth, free internet service and apps like HOME, the most advance OS for gaming, and a system set up to support homebrew and user generated content for your system. Not to mention the controllers are rechargable out of the box.
Its a good deal for something you will end up charging up anyways on the 360. Its almost like getting blue ray free.

What made the ps1 and ps2 a huge success was a lack of good competition and a huge selection of games. When microsoft came into the picture, the balance of power shifted. Money talks in this industry and microsoft has a lot of it. It can only get more imbalanced when Apple joins the ranks. The ps3 is no more expensive than the 360 if you look at it right, and the 360 is doing great, mainly due to its desireability via game selection and tricky marketing. Sony hasnt really marketed the product well enough in my opinion, but I believe they are saving their campaign till some of their bigger projects finish.

paintba||er said:

But what would we do in those few years when it is needed if the PS3 didn't have Blu-ray?
Well i guess Sony could have offered it as an add-on if and when it was needed. I am sure they would have sold a lot more if the PS3 was closer to the 360s price point or if Blueray was already the HD standard but it is not yet and that may be putting off potential customers.

I totally agree about Sony's marketing of the PS3, it has been awful compaired to their brillance marketing the PS1 and PS2. I would sack the whole PS3 marketing department.

After a few years if Blueray is the HD standard then the PS3 will be seen as being revolutionary in changing gaming but as it is, it risks slipping too far behind the competition to be able to catch up later.

raisinghelen said:
Well i guess Sony could have offered it as an add-on if and when it was needed. I am sure they would have sold a lot more if the PS3 was closer to the 360s price point or if Blueray was already the HD standard but it is not yet and that may be putting off potential customers.

I totally agree about Sony's marketing of the PS3, it has been awful compaired to their brillance marketing the PS1 and PS2. I would sack the whole PS3 marketing department.

After a few years if Blueray is the HD standard then the PS3 will be seen as being revolutionary in changing gaming but as it is, it risks slipping too far behind the competition to be able to catch up later.
But as Shift already said about the 360 most developers wouldn't make use of an add on because not everyone would have it, and they want to market to the widest array of customers they can.
Oh, and Mr.Selfdestruct: Why do you insist on coming into this section? Its obvious you hate the PS3, so just stay out of this section, or read and follow the sticky titled "Fanboyism - Leave it at the door please"

Last edited:
Can I ask a technical question please?

The first is capacity. Because Blu-ray utilizes a lens with a greater numerical aperture (NA) than HD-DVD, the laser spot can be focused with greater precision to fit more data on the same size disc. This allows Blu-ray to hold 25GB per layer (50GB on a dual-layer disc), whereas HD-DVD can only hold 15GB per layer (30GB on a dual-layer disc). Blu-ray has also adopted a higher data transfer rate for video and audio (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps). The greater capacity and data transfer rates for Blu-ray will allow the movie studios to release their movies with higher quality video and audio than the HD-DVD format.

The first thing that I thought when I read this was ' what happens when the system gets a little older and looser? Will it become less reliable in reading discs?'

This is not a question aimed specifically at either Bluray or HDDVD but at BOTH formats. I currently own 3 DVD players. The cheapest of them (£10 Asda special) has the worst picture and sound quality but the best chance of reading a damaged disc, due to the laser being the least focussed of the three machines. Will the tighter focus of the laser in the new formats cause a problem with dirty / damaged discs?

No, i dont hate PS3, i've owned both PS1 waaay back in the 90's and PS2 about 4 months after its release.

Im being realistic about this, i had a choice to get either of 3. I chose not to get PS3 because of the Blu-ray problem, i was told this by numerous tech nerds, not to mention the articles on the net.

I think the 360 is a great system, it just wasnt as fun as the Wii.

Mr.Selfdestruct said:
No, i dont hate PS3, i've owned both PS1 waaay back in the 90's and PS2 about 4 months after its release.

Im being realistic about this, i had a choice to get either of 3. I chose not to get PS3 because of the Blu-ray problem, i was told this by numerous tech nerds, not to mention the articles on the net.

I think the 360 is a great system, it just wasnt as fun as the Wii.
It doesn't matter if you have had a PS1/PS2, you still dislike the PS3 and are very biased against it. So either make sure your posts actually contribute something or don't post them. Don't say that what you post is contributing, because I highly doubt that telling someone to "stick to suckling shifts testicles" is contributing anything.

VERY SIMPLE
blue ray is not needed this gen because only the ps3 has it, but hte other systems are rockzors in their own way too, personally i wouldn't want it on the wii even if it was put in there free of charge

Mr.Selfdestruct said:
Oh sorry, i didnt see your Avitar, i ddint realize you had a mancrush on Wii60.

Sucks to be a mormon.
What are you talking about? My user title says PSWii60 which means having all three consoles. I'm not referring to some guy on the forums. I'm not a ****ing Mormon either. This is why you are disliked around here. You always attack people when they say something that conflicts with something you say or do. Like that time when I asked you if you copied and pasted an article and you freaked out and started calling me a dick.

Back