Future U.S and Europe DVD playback confusion

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Seems there is some confusion over exactly what regions will be able to get their hands on a Wii with dvd playback functionality.

Apparently despite a worldwide agreement with Sonic Solution to provide its CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator, Japan is the only confirmed Country on the list.

According to a Nintendo UK Spokesperson:

"We have previously confirmed that an enhanced version of Wii capable of playing DVD's would launch at some point in the future in Japan. This release simply confirms Sonic as the partner in that venture and that the new version of Wii will come to market in the second half of 2007. It does not confirm where it will launch. We are simply not making any further region specific announcements at this time."

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70040

I don't see why anyone would really care if the Wii was able to play DVDs, the majority of people have at least one DVD player nowadays, its not like with the GameCube when they weren't very common and including it would have made the console more popular. I hope they don't release a DVD-Wii unless it has a lot more added to it, because I think most people wouldn't buy another Wii just because it now has a DVD added. But if all that is required is a software download then I think they might as well release it at some point.

Back