Special Edition Wii with DVD playback heading to Japan

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Speaking to gamesindustry.biz, Nintendo confirmed there will be a special edition Wii console making it's way to Japan.

Currently planned for 2007, the Wii console will feature DVD playback - a feature that is not currently not included in the Wii.

Sadly Nintendo stated, "There are currently no plans to bring this model to Europe or the US."

Could this new information impact launch sales in Japan, with customers opting for the DVD play back addition instead...?

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20729

AHHHH to bad.....If I got my hands on that I would probably sell it at ebay for 2000 bucks or more!

Gosh, why would Nintendo do such a stupid thing? Seriously, the DVD feature isn't vital to me, but if it's possible in Japan, then it's surly possible in Europe and the U.S.!!!

Same 2 me, I already own a DVD, and I don't need another... maybe a third-party (like pelican) will do it, create the DVD for it...

If it was HD-DVD then maybe it would be interesting but DVD? Who cares? I have 4 DVD players at home I don't need a new one.

:lol:

Joe said:
AHHHH to bad.....If I got my hands on that I would probably sell it at ebay for 2000 bucks or more!
sorry bud, region codes...
anyways, now people that feel sorry for sony have a reason to keep/buy an old ps2 and not feel bad when attempting to pimp it out (ie clearcase, fliptop for the OLD ps2's, anything else) cuz they will be toilet paper moneys worth

Last edited:
I bet with a simple firmware upgrade, the Wii can have dvd playback easily. The Wii disks are already on dvd format, aren't they? So we've already got the drive, now we just need some sort of software to play movies.

I'm sorry I have a dvd player, an xbox that plays dvd's and a ps2 that also plays dvd's...last thing I'm worried about is getting another game console that'll play a dvd, doing nothing but wasting space inside the console that could maybe go to more memory or slightly better graphics

silly people the wii will play blu ray i bet cause it has the blue backglow.
nah but i bet the little "suprise" is that it has dvd playback in the startup disc. thats all i can really think off.
THUS rapping up another wii mystery chris thompson SIGNS OFF.

Back