Gamecube Modem/Gamecube Online

TexasDudeUSA

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
Whatever happened to the Gamecube Modem/Gamecube Online? I know that the modem was sold in stores cause I saw it for sale at Gamestop about a year ago. I saw SSBM Online but it was only an image. What the heck happened?

yes, gamecube had online and system link. but the feature flopped.

the games i immediately think of are Phantasy Star Online, which of course was online. and Mario Kart Double Dash which was sytem link compatible.

Smash Bros was never online. SSBB will be but not melee. what you heard about was a game hacking device that a few ppl made called the "Warp Pipe"

this device allowed you to supposedly put in phantasy star online, then somehow switch to any game (most notoriously Smash Bros.) and play against someone else that was using a warp pipe, search around youtube for videos about or related to the "warp pipe" cuz some ppl made videos of it supposedly working. but i say it never worked. all evidence of the Warp Pipe letting you really play any GC multiplayer title online is very weak. and the few videos that are out there actually prove this point. they are all low quality, poorly made, and never actually show this elusive "Warp Pipe" so i say it doesnt work.

but yes, Phantasy Star and 2 other titles were online for gc. there was another one that was a Japan exclusive also.

There was probably many games that were system link compatible but the only one that i knew was enjoyable through system link was insane 8 player mario kart.

hope this helps,

-=Brandon=-

Last edited:
There were only 2 games for Gamecube Online from what I remember.
Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2 and then the Phantasy Star Online 3 which was card based.

Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 were bundled together for the GC release.

@Stranger War pipe would only allow system link games like Mario Kart DD and that Kirby racing game that I never bought and 1080, it was an app that runs on the PC and you had to link your cube to your network.

I would not allow use of non system link games to go online, also worth noting that it never even allowed PSO to go online.

I played with the software years ago but it’s still worth looking into if you have a GC BBA.

It was very laggy though.
Also there was another project called XB connect that would allow you to go online with Halo.

Back