gamestop..

Skippy said:
Routers can be wired or wireless. A LAN is a Local Area Network, which can be either wired or wireless in the generic sense, but in the gaming console context typically refers to a wired connection.

But how is LAN different from a Router?? <-- haha sorry i am so damn stupid...
(i would connect with wires but...like its in my room and my laptop is in the "study" area which is like RIGHT next to each other but the cord would get in the way of things....)
Does anyone know if i coudl maybe get another modem so i could hook it up to something?

Curtain said:
But how is LAN different from a Router?? <-- haha sorry i am so damn stupid...
(i would connect with wires but...like its in my room and my laptop is in the "study" area which is like RIGHT next to each other but the cord would get in the way of things....)
Does anyone know if i coudl maybe get another modem so i could hook it up to something?

A LAN is a concept, not a device. It just refers computers that are networked together within a small area. That could be either through wireless (wi-fi) or wired connection, or a combination of the two.

A router is the device that essentially connects those computers (or game consoles) together (to form a LAN) and also lets them all share the internet connection from a cable mode, DSL, etc. Routers come in two basic varieties: those with wi-fi support and those without wi-fi. The models that support wi-fi have one or more little antennas on them. A wired connection will typically be faster than a wi-fi connection, but it's not always a big difference depending on the speed of your internet connection.

So it would be set up so that your broadband modem (cable, DSL, etc.) connects to the router. Then your computers (and game consoles) connect to the router.

That's the typical situation, and usually presents the fewest problems. There are some other ways to get things connected together with or without wires.

For your Xbox, if you don't get the wireless adapter, then you'll need to run a wire from the router to the Xbox. If you do get the wireless adapter, then you don't need the wire, but you will need a router that supports wi-fi.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
MY STUPID PARENTS
i told them to spend 500 dollars and they spent 500 but they didnt get exavt;y what i wanted.
wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh/

yopu sound like a crybaby. buck up and buy the item yourself.

rukus said:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
MY STUPID PARENTS
i told them to spend 500 dollars and they spent 500 but they didnt get exavt;y what i wanted.
wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh/

yopu sound like a crybaby. buck up and buy the item yourself.

Ahhhhhhhhh, this is for my birthday and christmas combined!!
Ahhhhh i am a single child...
Just shut the hell up ...seriously if your gonna be an asshole just leave...

Curtain said:
Ahhhhhhhhh, this is for my birthday and christmas combined!!
Ahhhhh i am a single child...
Just shut the hell up ...seriously if your gonna be an asshole just leave...
Wow. I mean wow. While I thought that you were whining at first, I suggested a workaround for you. But "i am a single child..."? That's your argument? Wow. Your parent just dropped a bunch of money on you, regardless of the occasion.

rxmxsh said:
Wow. I mean wow. While I thought that you were whining at first, I suggested a workaround for you. But "i am a single child..."? That's your argument? Wow. Your parent just dropped a bunch of money on you, regardless of the occasion.

Ahem....YOU suggested a workaround....while Rukus did it...your not aloud to have duped accounts...

Big_League_Slugger said:
I love that my PS3 has wifi:cornut:

Does anyone think that 4900 kbp/s download
490kbp/s upload speed
will suffice to my gaming needs?!

Off topic:I love that my xbox 360 has tons of amazing exclusives =pp

Haha ok i don't want this to turn into a flame war

Curtain said:
Does anyone think that 4900 kbp/s download
490kbp/s upload speed
will suffice to my gaming needs?!

Off topic:I love that my xbox 360 has tons of amazing exclusives =pp

Haha ok i don't want this to turn into a flame war

I don't take offense. The argument is premature. The PS3 hasn't been out as long and needs time to build its library. Besides the PS3 already has some really good games.

Big_League_Slugger said:
I don't take offense. The argument is premature. The PS3 hasn't been out as long and needs time to build its library. Besides the PS3 already has some really good games.

Yea, the PS3 hasn't even begun to use its processor fully, the xbox360 is gonna be maxed out on gears 2 (most likely) PS3 is gonna have alot more technologically advanced graphics. But the xbox 360 was in the lead for 2 years (about to be 3-4) untill the ps3 comes out with some great exclusives/graphics/online play
cause even tho the PSN is alot less hassle free Live has better play IMO

Curtain said:
Yea, the PS3 hasn't even begun to use its processor fully, the xbox360 is gonna be maxed out on gears 2 (most likely) PS3 is gonna have alot more technologically advanced graphics. But the xbox 360 was in the lead for 2 years (about to be 3-4) untill the ps3 comes out with some great exclusives/graphics/online play
cause even tho the PSN is alot less hassle free Live has better play IMO

It has some great exclusives right now.
Uncharted
Rachet and Clank
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Folklore???maybe

And those have amazing graphics, especially Uncharted.

Last edited:
Curtain said:
Ahem....YOU suggested a workaround....while Rukus did it...your not aloud to have duped accounts...

What? Lost me on this. Yes, I suggested a workaround that costs about 30 bucks. Don't know who Rukus is or if he used my workaround I suggested. I don't have multiple accounts...

Just trying to help you out. I was just surprised at how you handled the other guy who was poking fun at you. Hey - if your parents want to drop hundreds of dollars in you - more power to you. But at least be glad they did, not whine becase they didn't get one piece you wanted. It's not the end of the world. From the sound of it, they'll prolly end up buying you whatever you want/need.

rxmxsh said:
What? Lost me on this. Yes, I suggested a workaround that costs about 30 bucks. Don't know who Rukus is or if he used my workaround I suggested. I don't have multiple accounts...

Just trying to help you out. I was just surprised at how you handled the other guy who was poking fun at you. Hey - if your parents want to drop hundreds of dollars in you - more power to you. But at least be glad they did, not whine becase they didn't get one piece you wanted. It's not the end of the world. From the sound of it, they'll prolly end up buying you whatever you want/need.

EDIT:i am not necessarily mad they didn't get me the adapter, i am just made that gamespot told them it wasn't needed to play wirelessly...i am sick of them giving out wrong information...

Oh bahaha sorry for freaking out on you
I thoguht u suggest me to shut up about my parents getting me stuff and have me buy myself stuff
....Sorry your idea is good. I would look into it but i never trust to buy things from E-bay just a thing about it makes me not wanna buy from there... How much are they brand new??

Curtain said:
EDIT:i am not necessarily mad they didn't get me the adapter, i am just made that gamespot told them it wasn't needed to play wirelessly...i am sick of them giving out wrong information...

Oh bahaha sorry for freaking out on you
I thoguht u suggest me to shut up about my parents getting me stuff and have me buy myself stuff
....Sorry your idea is good. I would look into it but i never trust to buy things from E-bay just a thing about it makes me not wanna buy from there... How much are they brand new??
eh, no worries. I'm not sure how much they are brand new, but I've bought 2 from eBay with no problems.

Back