Got a Wii for under the tree. What else will I need Christmas day?

zekmoe

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
I got a Wii for the kids(and me) for Christmas. I bought the basic setup and 3 games. What else will I need to get it functional that day? Does it come with component cables? I'll probably need an additional controler. WHat about the internet set up? I have high speed cable connection, but not a wireless router. Will I need that, and if so, any particular one? Best performance choice. What do I need to get the complete, everything's available , package?
Thanks.

Depending out what games you have i would say get Mario party or Warioware im sure the kids would love it

zekmoe said:
I got a Wii for the kids(and me) for Christmas. I bought the basic setup and 3 games. What else will I need to get it functional that day? Does it come with component cables? I'll probably need an additional controler. WHat about the internet set up? I have high speed cable connection, but not a wireless router. Will I need that, and if so, any particular one? Best performance choice. What do I need to get the complete, everything's available , package?
Thanks.

Alright, what games did you get?

For you (I assume you're a casual gamer, as you're asking lol): Trauma Center, Brain Age, Sports, DDR?, Guitar hero?, Excite Truck

The Kids (and you): Warioware,Mario party 8, Movie-licenses titles, My niece and nephew LOVE bowling.

Component cables, if you have an ED or HD tv, then I'd recommend them. And even if your TV can't do 480p, you'll definitely see a difference. You'll be able to enjoy the wii greatly with the included cables though.

You can invest in a router, which would allow you to add other devices in the future, but you can get the nintendo branded lan adapter. One plugs into your cable modem, and the other usb end goes to the wii. Your wii would have to be fairly close to your modem box though, and it's 30 dollars. A router would be like..50...

There is the USB dongle....but we'll just leave it at that. :cool:

Edit: whoops, you can play games that trade-off the remote, (bowling), but mostly, you'll want at least one more controller set, I'd recommend getting 3 more to round out your set. With the kids, I'd make sure your remotes have the new, stronger straps, and enforce it well lol.

An SD card should be bought to back up game saves and downloads/channels. Look on Newegg.com for a 2GB for about $20

Edit2: my final opinion, give your kids the wii for early Christmas..... Unless you plan on playing it, then repacking it into the box on Christmas eve:p

Last edited:
Since you mentioned component cables, Im assuming you would actually be able to use them. If so, and you can spare the extra cash, you'll be pleased with the improved video quality. (btw the wii comes with composite cables- "RCA")

For your wireless, you should get a Linksys 54 b/g wireless router. If youve got money to spare you'll see other higher grade versions, but this one will be plenty for any wii use. An earlier post mentioned getting the Wii wireless lan adapter, but this can cost the same as a wireless router, but is not good as a router for multipupose/computer safety reasons.

As far as controllers, depending on how many kids you got, or will be togather for family gathering, you'll need at least 2-4 controllers and 2-4 nunchucks. There are many 4 player games that dont use the nunchucks, so dont be in a hurry to buy those. If you look on the top right corner of game cases you'll see a pic that tells how many and what kind of controllers the game supports.

You dont need a memory card unless you have OCD and need unneccesary backups. And if you get one please dont buy the "official" nintendo ones as they are no different than other sd cards and marked up in price.

I think that will all mentioned you will be ready to go. If you want game recommendations let us know their ages, or interests.

Last edited:
KyleForMe said:
Since you mentioned component cables, Im assuming you would actually be able to use them. If so, and you can spare the extra cash, you'll be pleased with the improved video quality. (btw the wii comes with composite cables- "RCA")

Just to be picky, "RCA" connectors are just a type of connector at the end of a wire. Both component and composite audio/video cables use RCA connectors.

yes it is that bad BELIEVE IT!!!!. stay away from the dangle at all time because the thing breaks to easily, has way to many glitches/problems, and it cost $40.

Lots of reports of weird happenings. It works for the DS, but the wii just needs a router..... Maybe if the dongle cost a LOT less than $30

Brawny said:
NO! I FORBID YOU TO BUY A DONGLE!

:sick:
I agree. Avoid the Dongle at all costs. There have been waaay too many reports and complaints about this product, so it is much better to just purchase a Wireless router instead.

It's not a good plan to get the dongle, not just because of bad reports because why would you pay that much money for a product that has such limited uses? For a bit more, you can have a full wireless router setup that you can use with any 802.11 device. It's just far smarter.

I chime in on an extra controller or two. Consider getting a wii points card as a stocking stuffer, a classic controller if not two for SNES/N64 games.

I'd also consider rechargeable batteries or a charge station

Back