Great games, to short games

stickmode

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2009
Hello, there's great games like Madworld or House of the Dead: Overkill, but to short compared to xbox360 games. There's no reason why this happen, becose the Wii DVDs storage media has enought capacitiy from 4.5GB to dual-layer DVDs at 9 GB the same as xbox360's DVDs has.
Madworld only has 8 hours to complete, HOTD has 7 hours, when almost be 20 hours the standard in video games.
SSBB is the only Wii game that uses the 9GB dual-layer DVD and it's from first-party, the third-parties must use these new formats to more long games appear, extended levels, more detailed graphics, more features, more modes...etc.

What you think?

Where did you hear this "20 hours" as a standard for games?

You dont seem to grasp that the Wii cant chuck polygons round like the other consoles can
The length of a game isnt down to the disc size (Disgaea fits onto a DS cart and thats a long game) its down to the developers
Heck even some Master system/NES games are long and there not exactly big on the memory front

On the short games front
Portal was a very short game but was instantly repayable (I think it was a small download)
Resident evil was also short (I think I did it in four hours on the DS)
Even the classic Nights on the Saturn was short (If it wasnt for that rage educing Joker I could do it all in a hour or two) and that had some pretty big worlds

So dont blame it on the storage

Gaming is about the experience...not the length. Its just like movies, some movies are long,boring, three hour snooze fests (Watchmen anyone?), while others are 120 minutes of pure gold. Same with video games. I'd much rather play an amazing 7 hour game than to play a boring 30+ hour long game

Games are made shorter now a days to make sure the game is accessible to more people. They don't want to turn off people after only an hour of game play cause the game is wickedly hard or to frustration for the user.

I've played plenty of short games that were absolutely amazing and worth purchase.

Like people said above me, it's not the size of the DVD that makes the game longer its the developer.

Games are made shorter now a days to make sure the game is accessible to more people. They don't want to turn off people after only an hour of game play cause the game is wickedly hard or to frustration for the user.
Theres also the thing about most people never really completing a game (I mean as in seeing the end sequence)
I am yet to see the End of the sublime Shadow of the Colossus
Thats not due to lack of spare time
Its due to it getting really hard towards the end

Tons of games on the 360 can be beat in or under 10 hours, it has nothing to do with storage.

Developers wouldn't make longer games but better looking titles could be made if the unit was stronger.

Back