Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can you explain the low sales of Hardcore Titles

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by stickmode, Apr 20, 2009.

1. stickmode

stickmode WiiChat Member

Hello, there's some things around the games market that block the good expectations of Third-parties about the low sales of Hardcore mature titles.
    First the low sales of titles like Madworld, HOD: Overkill, Dead Raising and now the low sales of GTA:CTW for DS. These sales shocked the market, but the third-parties need to understand that the sales on Nintendo platforms aren't like the xbox360/ps3, the sales of these platforms are very fast and accustom the third-parties to expect sales reaching the million copies the first or the second week the game releases on every console. In the other hand the Nintendo platform sales are slow and take time to reach these goals, this not means the hardcore mature titles won't reach these sales in less than a year, but generally reach the goal a year or take more time. And now becose the economy down-turn the sales are even more slowly. The third-parties need to know this and accustom to sales on long terms in a Nintendo platform.

2. Twillight Princess

Twillight Princess Master of Fappets

Wii Friend Code: 1337-1337-1337-1337
    1337-1337-1337-1337
    Nintendo doesn't bother showing them off at all, you remember Disaster? They looked proud of it a couple of years ago, then BAM! They tell us its coming out in a month or something, and when it actually comes out, its limited. Its the same with Madworld.

3. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Explainedfor noobs like you

Madworlds low sales
    Mainly due to it looking different to most games
    Norms wont buy a game thats cartoony in look

HOD OK
    I dont think I ever saw a add for it on TV

Dead Rising
    Its crap on the Wii

GTA DS
    Every body that wants the game has downloaded it
    The DSs low games sales is due to this

4. Bio

Bio WiiChat Member

The answer is relatively simple, I think. The audience for Wii is predominantly not hardcore. Those who are in this gamer group have gotten a 360 or PS3 already (and may have even sold their Wiis if they bought one early in the console's life). The result is an upward climb for these third parties to gain the attention of the mainstream and hardcore gamers who have already looked the other way.

It's similar to how multiplatform games usually sell better on 360 than on PS3 in America, despite the fact that PS3 owners are more likely to buy games than 360 owners. The reason has little to do with the games or the consoles...but mainly because more people have a 360 in America. What I'm trying to say is that the problem isn't the product. The actual problem is the current situation with consumers.

#4 Bio, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. CrocoLylee

CrocoLylee mnehh

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Because you keep overrating things and everyone knows that anything you like will be woeful.

6. Godwind

Godwind WiiChat Member

[​IMG]

Some of us are getting tired of the whole "Hardcore" crap that users like you keep whining about. I'll buy the games I want to play.

Madworld = overrated

House of the Dead Overkill- own it, quit bitching. I am not here to drop 200 bucks a month on games for the petty console warz. It would have been worth if it was Sega and we needed to push consoles such as the Saturn or Dreamcast.

Dead Rising = shotty port

GTA: Chinatown Wars- I hate the GTA series.

[​IMG]

#6 Godwind, Apr 20, 2009
  7. Bodine

Bodine Sonic expert

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    :lol: Get'em Godwind

And Madworld was fun. I plan on getting some HOtDOK.

8. Godwind

Godwind WiiChat Member

I found Madworld fun to watch, as opposed to actually playing it.

9. sprinter

sprinter WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8622-4911-2881-8614
    8622-4911-2881-8614
    You must know something nobody else does. Statistically the 360 has the highest attach rate of any console IN HISTORY, meaning per system in use, average per system, more people own more games on the 360, than any other console EVER.

PS3 owners are more likely to buy Blu-Ray movies than games...

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2008/01/28/360-attach-rate-now-7-games-per-console/
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17099
    http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/01/playstation-3-attach-rates-ties-the-wii.html
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18096/NextGen-Consoles-Attach-Rate-Exposed/
    http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...ame-While-Claiming-Attach-Rate-Supremacy.html

I own 130+ games on the 360, and have yet to find a serious enough reason to buy a PS3. My wife wants one for the Disney Movies on Blue-ray, that's probably what will make us buy one eventually... No other Blu-ray player is as upgradeable as the PS3 unfortunately...

Before this turns into a console fanboy war, I'm not trying to go there... I'm just saying, if you want to state something as a fact, make sure your facts are right...

#9 sprinter, Apr 20, 2009
  10. raisinghelen

raisinghelen WiiChat Member

I think that this has been answered pretty well in the posts so far.

So there's not enough 'hardcore' Wii owners to start with and Wii games have a longer shelf life than other consoles games so early sales figures can be deceiving. Case closed.

11. stickmode

stickmode WiiChat Member

There's the point that I want to reach, If you see every person that answer this question is supose to be one of these Wii360 or Wiips3 owners. They only try to find the oportunity to piss the Wii, this forum apears to be a Xbox360/ps3 forum than a Wii forum.
    These people are hungry becose they see more and more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii and try to stop this. Some of these titles will be better on Wii than xbox360/ps3 (Virtua tennis 2009) and making the games of these consoles lose relevance.
    I want the real Wii owners appear, the people that only have a Wii express their opinion, we are the mayority and we can't allow the others consoles piss the Wii, THERE'S A HUGE HARDCORE FAN BASE ON THE Wii the only weak is they purchase slowly their games, becose they want to make sure the game that purchase is good and they like it.

I think, if the real Wii owners will be like me, with almost 80 Wii hardcore games by Wii owner, the Wii and Nintendo already be pissed the xbox360/ps3 and leaved these consoles out the game market today. No, no stupid Wii360/Wiips3 owners the sales of these games will surpass the million mark at the end of the year, and when this happens we will talk about it!!

#11 stickmode, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  12. Lewi T

Lewi T WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I've defended the Wii from day one. I've enjoyed the Wii, a lot. I've put many hours into it, as well as a lot of money. However, what like 3 years down the line are we? I'm definitely not 'hungry' to 'piss the Wii' because I see 'more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii'. There's just the fact that there aren't more remarkable 'hardcore' titles coming to the Wii. Sure, some titles can probably be better on the Wii, Virtua Tennis 2009 is an excellent example. But come on, try and name others. They're just not there. Take Fifa for example. My God that was diabolical on the Wii. That game alone pushed me to get a PS3 back in 2007/8.

So I can't voice my opinion because I have a PS3? There is a hardcore fan base on the Wii, but until more games catered for them and things like online are improved, more and more of them will be moving to the PS3/360 to satisfy their 'hardcore' needs. Too many 'hardcore' games on the Wii turn out to be flops.

The problem is, is that most Wii owners will never be like you with almost 80 hardcore games. That's not who they're aiming at. (I would also like to hear of these 80 'hardcore' games). Uh, sorry I just don't understand the rest of your post. Are you saying that if Wii owners were like you, then that would push Microsoft and Sony out of the gaming market?

#12 Lewi T, Apr 21, 2009
  13. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164

14. Bio

Bio WiiChat Member

Since I was one of those who answered, I assume this is directed at me, among others. If you think I'm some swayed 360/PS3 gamer, you don't know me as well as you think you do. I honestly don't know why you would assume to know my "credibility" in this argument in the first place.

There is nothing in my previous post trying to downplay the Wii at all. Just because I attempted using a 360/PS3 scenario as an analogy to the Wii's hardcore situation doesn't mean I'm suddenly out to belittle the Wii.

All I did was give you an informed look on what might be happening...which is that the Wii's hardcore userbase is too small right now. If this is the reason (and most likely is), then it is just a harsh reality.

#14 Bio, Apr 21, 2009
  15. captainff

captainff slightly amused

Wii Friend Code: 5537-0855-7535-2075
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    I like those people 'casue I can answer their questions :lol:

The low sales of GTA:CTW DS was mentioned in the OP and I'd like to answer that point. The sales of this type of game on Nintendo systems always follow a different pattern than on, say, a PC. Ignoring the illegal copies (on both systems) then look at the growth of unit sales. PC games tend to have a large initial buy in by a fan base and then sales taper off as the next big release happens. DS games (of this type) tend to have a lower, more consistent sales line for many more months. Sure they don't sell as many units in total as their PC counterparts but a suitable analogy would be the tortoise and the hare (except the hare wins:tard:) if that makes any kind of sense.

16. Godwind

Godwind WiiChat Member

I thought the pictures would have helped to explain things to you but no. Time to break it down.

I don't own a PS3 or an Xbox360. I actually love my Wii. I don't go about pissing on it. I happen to go about pissing on you. Your an annoying little bastard. Respect Capitalism. People want to spend their money the way they want.

It's whining people such as yourself that I am starting to hate this forum and move to Giantbomb as my choice of forums.

Good point, but why do you choose to buy utter shoddy ports like Dead Rising. Maybe you shouldn't be buying dumb titles like those in protest of their crappiness.

Suddenly people aren't allowed to be multiplatform? Right now I have my Wii/gamecube, my Dreamcast and PS2 hooked up. In addition I have a Nintendo DSi and Gameboy advance. Packed away I have my Nes, Genesis, Snes, and Nintendo 64.
    Also keep in mind that the Wii can play Gamecube games. Ever thought that some of us are going to older console titles? There are still titles out there that I want that I never played. It is the same treatment I gave to my PS2. I bought older titles for it.

Just shut up. The majority of people have played systems before the Wii as I have mentioned. Rarely will you see people say "The Wii is the only system I own." This isn't Nintendo's first console you know.

Suddenly we all have imaginary Wiis sitting by our TVs?

I am quite happy with 25 titles I own and my expanding collection of other systems. In addition, I am not interested in owning every single title on the Wii. Just the ones I can actually like. I don't have concern for games such as Quantum of Solace or Dead Rising. It isn't about the developer, its about me when it comes to purchasing content for the Wii.

17. raisinghelen

raisinghelen WiiChat Member

The only console that I own is the Wii and I'm pretty 'hardcore' when it comes to my gaming, so I usually defend the Wii to the death.

I don't think that there is real proof of a huge hardcore fan base on the Wii yet, certainly by the sales of some games it seems that there is not. However with the Wii having outsold the other consoles by such a large margin you would think that they should in theory at least come close to equaling the base of the others.

Part of the problem with 'hardcore' game sales is if the game is multiplatform then the multi owners will buy it for the 360/PS3 over the Wii. Until the Wii versions are superior to the others then that wont really change. Hopefully with motion plus that will shift the balance some and there are always exceptions such as Shaun White Snowboarding (although I've seen multi owners still go for the 360 version because it has 'better graphics', despite it actually being a worse game on the 360). It still really doesn't explain Wii exclusives like Madworld not selling, although that could be partly due to the multi owners buying RE:5 instead.

I believe in some of your post you were criticizing the multi console owners for taking sides against the Wii on these forums. I understand if you are because that can be frustrating sometimes. I almost quit this forum because I posted news about a Wii game, only to have it deleted because it was already in the PS3 section. It is supposed to be a Wii forum after all.

18. jeanniepep

jeanniepep Old Lady Noob

Wii Friend Code: 6515-5205-9862-4856
    6515-5205-9862-4856
    I think part of the problem with MadWorld is that it does NOT look cool in still photographs (advertisements, magazine articles) so maybe it's having a hard time getting noticed by people who aren't already looking for it. The black & white color scheme is innovative for sure, but just doesn't print well. I thought it looked godawful until I saw gameplay videos of it on G4, then I realized it does look pretty great after all.

HotD:OK is awesome!

I guess I'm not a "real Wii owner" since we have a Wii and a 360. But, just to throw in my 2 cents...I think people appreciate the Wii games that utilize the unique controls well. We can forgo the better graphics if a game is genuinely better and more fun on the Wii, but aren't real interested in ports that may look and play better on the 360. I like HotD because I am into the light gun controls, period. If it looked better on the 360 I would not be interested because the whole button scheme doesn't feel like as much fun to me.

That said, we do probably buy more of our "hardcore" games for the 360 because my husband takes it with him when he travels, and I'm pretty terrible at playing them by myself. So, I keep the Wii and the games I enjoy here at home.

19. Godwind

Godwind WiiChat Member

Thank you for posting this information. I think this is a reason why people are getting sick of Stickmode. Maybe not you but I don't think he doesn't understand how the rest of us feel.

20. rukus

rukus WiiChat Member

stickmore is delusional. he thinks he is right.