HD DVD Vs Blu-Ray

Which will succeed?

• HD DVD

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Blu-ray

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What I hate most about these "format wars" is that there is only ONE loser... the consumers like us. We get screwed over for LONG periods of time while these bigwigs battle over format (all so they can grab market share and monopolize the industry). Then, one wins out, and a large portion of society is forced to convert to the "winning" format and spend additional money!

I know in my heart that this will never happen, but if these two media giants really DID care about their consumers instead of making ridiculous profits, we will see universal players that play both formats (devices that have both red and blue lasers) for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats.

This is what occurred (for the most part) with the whole DVD-R/DVD+R issue.

Side question for anyone who might know the answer: WHY IS SONY ALWAYS ON THE REBELIOUS SIDE OF THE FORMAT WARS?? They had the BetaMax, the MMCD, MiniDisc, and now Blu-Ray. Oh god, and lest we forget my personal favorite: Memory Stick Duo!

i cant predict anything but my money would be with hd-dvd as the name makes sense (hd right?) and it is cheaper, and it doesnt have the pretencious sony like smell about it that blu-ray does.

but it could probs go either way, but their can only be one winner!

I say HD DVD for two reasons:
A: money talks... especially to the general american public. Look at how many of them go out an buy the crappiest computer they can because it's cheap... only to replace it a year or two later because it's toasted.
B: blu ray seems to be fairly exclusive to Sony. It's going to become the next memory stick. I'm surprised to see as many movies coming out on blu ray as there is because it's so proprietary right now.

I would want hd-dvd to win, but now microsoft is releasing an addon which will play blu-ray also (seperate from the hd-dvd addon), so they pretty much just screwed themeselfs...

soulchief said:
I would want hd-dvd to win, but now microsoft is releasing an addon which will play blu-ray also (seperate from the hd-dvd addon), so they pretty much just screwed themeselfs...
Whaa? Would be interested in sources if possible.

man...Sony really have a lot of haters on their hands this time around.

But i still think the true fanboys will still buy it even though they diss it

Back