Help picking TV - I dont know anything!!

toggle

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
Hiya,

I have a maximum budget of £250 (roughly $500) and I am looking to buy a new tv that will be used for both the Wii, Dvd's and Tv.

I'm looking at nothing bigger than 20" and so far have found a few 20" LCD's that look good. The thing is, they are bordering on my max budget and if possible - i would prefer not to spend this much money.

I have a few questions I'm hoping people can answer:

1) What connection ports will my tv need to connect Sky, Dvd player and Wii all at the same time.

2) Will CRT's become redundent soon? - I heard about the analog/digital thing but don't have a clue what it relates to.

3) Do I really need HDTV?

Thank you

If you have a sams club or costco nearby, but your tv from there. They mark their used tv's down 30%, and they do not have a return policy on them. Meaning you could own that tv for 5 years and return it for cash. I picked up my samsung 47" hdtv for $625. Most newer tv's will have plenty of inputs for a couple of systems, dvd player, vcr, or anything else you can imagine. My tv has a few component inputs, dvi, s-video, and composite.

I live in the UK so I can't go to those shops.

The main things I need to know is if HD is a requirement (or will be something needed deffently in a few years time).

And what is all this analog/digital thing all about?

Well, the Wii doesnt support HD. If you're looking to play regular DVDs, then they're not HD. So you dont need an HDTV, but they're good. I own one and I'm very happy with it.

You should really look into getting an EDTV if you're going LCD. A 20" Sanyo LCD EDTV here in the states runs about $357. If you did your currency conversions right, then you should have plenty for that.

Olevia's 323v is pretty reasonable - a 23" widescreen that will display HD resolutions, but has only an SD tuner.

Technically, you're right, Mmy, but the Wii does do EDTV, which an HDTV will display. DVDs will also do EDTV.

EDIT: just checked pricewatch.co.uk and you guys have horrible prices over there. I wish I knew where to find the deals in the UK. I'm not sure what it would cost to find one on EBay and have it shiopped, but you might look into that.

Last edited:
I was just looking at american prices. For a tv costing about $350 dollar in the states (roughly £160) in the UK would be about $600 (roughly £300)

Its stupid, things are almost double here. Although our prices already include tax - but its still a very large inrement.

I will look on the states ebay. Do tvs have any kind of region locks?

Inspire said:
You should really look into getting an EDTV if you're going LCD. A 20" Sanyo LCD EDTV here in the states runs about $357. If you did your currency conversions right, then you should have plenty for that.

Olevia's 323v is pretty reasonable - a 23" widescreen that will display HD resolutions, but has only an SD tuner.

Technically, you're right, Mmy, but the Wii does do EDTV, which an HDTV will display. DVDs will also do EDTV.

EDIT: just checked pricewatch.co.uk and you guys have horrible prices over there. I wish I knew where to find the deals in the UK. I'm not sure what it would cost to find one on EBay and have it shiopped, but you might look into that.

There are no deals in the UK we get ripped off for everything. Our wonderful government usually adds a load onto the cost of everything although we enver seem to see much benefit from all these taxes.

Back