Hook up Wii to surround sound?

Beonaam

WiiChat Member
Apr 19, 2009
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

So, I'm trying to hook up surround sound to the Wii and my girlfriend's house. The problem is, I'm not too familiar with how surround sound is set up and it seems on her setup, surround sound only works when they play a DVD since that's what the surround system is hooked up to (the DVD player).

I'm wondering if there is a way to hook up surround sound to both their regular tv and the Wii as well?

If anybody could help, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Oh, and if anymore information is needed, please let me know.

Definitely one of the best things you can do to improve your gaming (after hooking up your Wii to a big screen and using component cables!)

The Wii outputs sound in Dolby Prologic II which will give you 5.1 channel sound. If your surround sound decoder doesn't support DPII, you'll probably get Dolby Prologic sound, which is decoded to 4.0 sound (left, right, center and surround, although your amp will probably do bass management to your subwoofer but let's not get too complicated!)

It's very easy to hook up the Wii to your amp / decoder - simply connect the left/right input on the amp to the left/right output on the Wii.

Then you'll need to select the input source on the Amp to the one you just connected (maybe labeled TV or VCR), and enable Dolby Pro Logic.

If your girlfriend's surround sound amp is part of the DVD player, then it might be more difficult to connect, unless you can find some inputs on the back of it...

Hope this helps!

Neil

If the TV is newer, and the DVD player is NOT part of the surround sound unit itself, the tv *should* have all the inputs you need. I plug all my stuff into the TV, then run the audio out of the TV into the stereo. Everything is in surround sound, all I have to do is turn the stereo on or off, the TV handles all the switching and the volume level.

This was the simplest method, to allow my wife to figure everything out when I am not home. Since everything the TV does, switching inputs etc... is on screen, she just had a far easier time coping with all the gadgets in this manner...

Back