How do i connect?

harriet-87

WiiChat Member
Aug 1, 2007
I've read through a lot of the threads posted, but they don't appear to be related..

I'm on tesco broadband.. (SpeedTouch 330) modem. its a ADSL modern..

I've bought a Wii Lan adapter.. believing that is what i needed..

the instruction booklet says i also need a Lan cable.. which there is two types of.. crossover and patch..

Its confussed me.. I don't even know now if I'm heading in the correct direction..

Is it even possible i can connect my wii to the net?

The easiest suggestion would be to get a wireless (compatible) router for the Wii. If you're not willing to spend that money, then keep the LAN adapter, and hook it up to your wired broadband modem. You'll also need an ethernet cable. When that's hooked up (make sure everything is assembled correctly), go to the Wii setting/ options and go:

Wii Settings > Internet > Connection Settings > New Connection >Wired Router

Thw Wii will then initialize a connection test. Hope it works.

I also have a question about the LAN adapter (which I don't have yet).

I'm a noob when it comes to networks and even computers in general so anyone who can answer the following simple question would be very helpful. I have a LAN network at home and all the rooms here have internet ports in the wall (or whatever you call those boxes). Is it okay to just connect the LAN adapter to the little box in the wall?

Fredvdp said:
I also have a question about the LAN adapter (which I don't have yet).

I'm a noob when it comes to networks and even computers in general so anyone who can answer the following simple question would be very helpful. I have a LAN network at home and all the rooms here have internet ports in the wall (or whatever you call those boxes). Is it okay to just connect the LAN adapter to the little box in the wall?

Assuming the other end of the cable running through the wall plate is connected into a router/modem then yes its fine. Those wall-plate jacks just have standard ethernet cables behind them. The only thing you need to worry about is the other end connected to where it needs to be.

harriet-87 said:
I've read through a lot of the threads posted, but they don't appear to be related..

I'm on tesco broadband.. (SpeedTouch 330) modem. its a ADSL modern..

I've bought a Wii Lan adapter.. believing that is what i needed..

the instruction booklet says i also need a Lan cable.. which there is two types of.. crossover and patch..

Its confussed me.. I don't even know now if I'm heading in the correct direction..

Is it even possible i can connect my wii to the net?

Hey man,

its perfectly do-able to use a wired connection to get into your adsl with your wii lan adapter.

I'll assume that your ADSL modem is connected to your computer via USB. In that case theres no need to get a router as you'll have to route through your computer anyway, might as well route straight to your wii.

You'll need a standard Network Interface Card (NIC) that is ethernet enabled. To go from your computer straight to your PC you're going to need a cross over patch cable. Best bet is to go to the local computer shop and buy a cat5 crossover, they are usually yellow.

Then you connect the wii's lan-adapter to your NIC in your PC.

Once thats done in windows open

start -> control panel -> network connections.

From here you'll want to right click on your ADSL connection and bring up its properties.

Select the advanced tab and enable (allow other users to connect to the internet via this computers connection)

apply and close properties. Now right click and pull up the properties on your wired nick card.

In the General tab you'll want to scroll down to where TCP/IP is and bring up those properties.

There select the radio tabs (use the following IP address)

ip: 192.168.3.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

leave default gateway empty.

Select use this DNS, and set that to the ip address of your adsl modem, (use documentation from your modem to figure it out, or call your ISP and ask them what thier DNS ip address is.)

In the wii you'll want to set up a static IP. I'm not sure how to navigate the menus as I dont use this method for my wii, but this is just standard internet connectivity. It will work on anything ethernet enabled.

the ip address settings for your wii should be

IP: 192.168.3.100
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.3.1 (note this is the address of your computer)

DNS Servers: (your adsl or ISP's dns).

Then you should be good to go.

Back