Initial thought's...

DBloke

An ancient one, banner of over a thousand acunts
Staff member
May 30, 2006
Super Mancyland
Wii Online Code
8041-7231-3447-6164
Well to me I was never really a massive fan of Golden Eye as it had some quirks, but to me thats all they where. Just quirks. Its mission structure was good, but I like my games with a bit of imagination in the weapons department so spent most my time on Turok. The game its self dose not hold up in the multi player any more as it has been bettered ever since.
Having played the newer version for over a hour or so at R3play the other weekend(bloody people manning the demo pods kept mithering my to play Multi player with them and thats not fun when you don't know what you are doing from the off). I can say this...
Its become like every other shooter out now, over use of in game FMV type things, but what do you expect from a FPS these days. Its probably more for those COD/MOH fans.
I probably might get it my self when I have the cash for it (or can get it cheap), but until then I will still look forward to Duke Nukem Forever.

Over to you lot what are your initial thought's on the game that most of you have been waiting for?

Dprinny, I've always respected your opinions on games. In my opinion of the New GoldenEye 007... is f***ing stupid, f***ing short, a f***ing waste of my time, and why in the hell does my character always glitch on Wi-Fi? Did anybody else have a problem where your character tried to shoot his d:{ K off during Multiplayer? Seriously, I couldn't regain control. Maybe someones already hacked the game.

I only picked it up because I never played the N64s version, wanted a 007 game, and was hoping to enjoy the Wi-Fi. Now its back at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Here is my opinion. I like the campaign. Even though it uses Craig, you only see him for a few seconds in FMVs. The story is a darker remix of the Goldeneye plot from the movie. I enjoyed it, but as campaigns go, they are hard to replay.

As for the multiplayer, it is disappointing but playable. It is a COD clone (thats what happens when you make an FPS with Activision) but it is slower and maintains that unique gameplay with the WiiMote and Nunchuck that is only on Wii CODs. I like how when crouched behind cover, you raise up a bit when ADS which is very nice since you don't have to keep pressing the button to use that cover and the Nunchuck-sesitive lean is also very useful.

The cons is that match-making is still very bad when it pits you, a low-level, with high-levels, who tend to have better perks and weapons than you. I try to even things out by picking up their weapons and it seems to work well. The spawn system is very bad where I'll spawn and get killed or spawn on a grenade literally. There is no voice chat, so teamplay and objective-based modes are limited unless you use a chat program on the computer. I'm sure there are hackers but I haven't noticed any. Lastly, and this is a general FPS issue, a lot of players have that "wanna-be sniper and worship KDRs" mentality and because of the small maps and non-destructible environment, it is hard to take campers out if they position themselves right. In fact, the only games that balances this issue are large-map games like Battlefield and Operation Flashpoint.

Also, the variety of control options are nice, but it isn't balanced. WiiMote and Zapper styles are very accurate but it cannot rotate fast without changing the sensitivity and can get disorienting if not use to it. The controller styles will rotate fast and easy to control but it lacks the accuracy and unique feeling of Wii FPSs

I would rate this game 7/10. The single-player is very good but the multiplayer is average and it has the problems that comes with all IW Engine games.

(My definition of accuracy is how efficient the technology is when used for aiming. For example, Mouse & Keyboard along with the Wii's "Point and Shoot" are more accurate than Thumbsticks.)

Last edited:
I have found that this game is truly meant as the Wii's answer to CoD.
The twist in the main storyline were great, and the splitscreen is as fun as ever.
As an avid player of the original, I think they did a great job bringing this into the current generation.
Yes it does have issues, but I have found the amount of fun I have playing quickly puts those to rest.

CoD clone yes., although I would much rather play this than CoD.
But what do I know? I'm just a zombie.

GoldenEye

I havent actively played video games since 007 first came out way back when.

Having said that, I think the game itself is pretty damn fun and very addicting! There are problems that I frequently encounter:

Host Quitting in the middle of the round- annoying!

Glitches- I am a camper, I like to settle down and snipe, unless i am playing the facility. But it is very hard to aim when the game gets jumpy. :(
there is no better felling than smoking someone that has a screenname like silent assassin or DR Death when they have no clue where you are. Sniping makes this game fun!

XP points- it will take a while to get to level 50, and I play daily. Maybe I suck, but it seems like a ton of work. ( i am now level 25) The good part is that it keeps you interested by seeing what you will unlock next.

Overall, it was worth the money, since all of my bros from back in the day are on. Nostalgic.

Dprinny, I've always respected your opinions on games. In my opinion of the New GoldenEye 007... is f***ing stupid, f***ing short, a f***ing waste of my time, and why in the hell does my character always glitch on Wi-Fi? Did anybody else have a problem where your character tried to shoot his d:{ K off during Multiplayer? Seriously, I couldn't regain control. Maybe someones already hacked the game.

I only picked it up because I never played the N64s version, wanted a 007 game, and was hoping to enjoy the Wi-Fi. Now its back at Wal-Mart.
Like I said
I only played it for a hour and not online (bleh online).
I also played in on a pad. Balls to Wiimote control

N64 007 games are cool, still have mine..somewhere..But GoldenEye is crap in my opinion..and I am a COD/MOH fan. I think in my opinion the game is 2/10 or 0-1/5 however you wanna look at it. Still crap.

I've had the game for over a month and enjoy is because aiming is easier than in COD (I suck at aiming). However, I am disappointed in the lag on wi-fi (I have a strong connection) and hate how jumpy the players are when you look at them. It makes it hard to shoot someone unless they are standing still or running directly towars or away from you. I also hate the simultaneousness kills, drives me nuts.

Does Nintendo have any plans to fix wi-fi issues?

Why people think this game sucks is beyond me....Its a very good shooter. I can see someone making a decent argument for why the game is overrated (IGN's 9/10 is a bit of a stretch) however I cannot see anyone coming up with a strong argument as to why this game SUCKS. I'm done trying to defend a perfectly good game, so I'll just keep playing it and you all can do whatever you like.

Well as far as multiplayer goes, the game is ages behind other games that came out before Goldeneye. The server is just awful and the game play is mediocre.

As far as the missions go, they are ok but I am not a big fan. Maybe it's the extremely long cut scenes. It also doesn't seem as "Free" as the N64 version goes. I feel like when I do missions on the Wii version its just a B-Line to every check point, when in the N64 version I was running around having fun. Maybe it's just that I am older and don't have the patience to enjoy the game as much.

Back