internet help

dantheman07

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
i bought a wii today and am a little pissed i cant use the internet. i knew i wouldnt be able to before i got it but still... so they dont have the ethernet usb adapter out yet and i was wondering when its coming out. i was also thinking of switching over to wireless but i do not know how it works. some people said that you have to have one of those usb plugs so that the wireless router can pick it up, but i thought i read somewhere that the wii comes w/ one built in, so what do i need for a wireless router to work? or how do i set it up? any input is appreciated

A simple wireless router will work. The Wii even supports encryption. If you don't have a wireless router you can get that Nintendo wi-fi adapter that plugs into a compluter to give wireless access; it's probably cheaper just to go with a router though.

Use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector. It's actually in Nintendo DS packaging and is probably located near the other DS accessories at most stores. I picked mine up today from Circuit City (during my fruitless quest for a nunchuk) for $35 and it works really well. It is about the size of a jump drive and just plugs right in back of a Windows XP computer in an open USB port, has great range, and even works despite being on the other side of a room full of furniture, underneath a table in the corner. I'm pretty sure it only works if you have a broadband connection on your computer. The only problem is that my Norton Firewall doesn't like it, but there are help pages on nintendo.com and it works great when the firewall is turned off.

Last edited:
so you dont need to plug anything into the wii itself if you have a router?

Yes, it will ask you particularly to which connection you would like to connect to when you start the Wii and it starts the settings setup, it takes a while to connect and update so be patient

jeffyjaixx said:
I have it connected to a Linksys WRT54G and it works awesome, updated in like a minute.

Can u tell me the exact settings on your router is, like how the security and all thats set up? I have the exact same router but I can't connect my Wii to it. Im desperate

Back