Is it worthwhile using the VC

Evanet

NooB
Jul 2, 2007
Wii Online Code
0184-2458-2259-4743
Is it worthwhile using the VC when for most games i would like to play i would need to buy a classic controller (£17), plus pay for points to get the games(£15 for 2-3 games).
Compare this to buying a second hand gamecube off of ebay with 10 to 20 games for £40-£60, it seems i would be better off looking for a gamecube with a games bundle i like the look of ?

Or am i missing something ?

Is this a poll? Because people will have differing opinions.

The Wii plays GC games natively. The VC is for older games.
If you bought the used gamecube on ebay how would you play SNES/Genesis games?

Personally I would download a CD full of emulators/games and use that instead. The only thing you need to buy is the GC memory card adapter or a mod chip.

Last edited:
ciper said:
kinda wat i was wondering, for me i think it was considering it was pretty much gonna cost me the same as buying the nes/snes,ect. with games anyway and i dont have to change consoles and clutter my TV space anymore than it already is lol

wait a minute...

so are you asking what you should buy? gamecube or classic?

i think thats what you're asking...

personally i bought a classic, even though i already had a gamecube, because of button placement

Almo said:
kinda wat i was wondering, for me i think it was considering it was pretty much gonna cost me the same as buying the nes/snes,ect. with games anyway and i dont have to change consoles and clutter my TV space anymore than it already is lol
The emulator disc I mentioned is actually a gamecube game so I guess you could buy a GC and burn them on the small DVDs so that you wouldnt have to mod your Wii or use the memory card adapter?

This just seems like a waste because burnable DVD in 8 cm are hard to find and cost more.

ciper said:
Is this a poll? Because people will have differing opinions.

The Wii plays GC games natively. The VC is for older games.

Personally I would download a CD full of emulators/games and use that instead. The only thing you need to buy is the GC memory card adapter or a mod chip.

Im just thinking about the game's i would like to play, and yeah there's the gaping hole in my argument. Im not so interested in nes or snes (played them all to death a long time ago so im done there) But i was thinking about the N64 games as i never had that. As i never had a gamecube either my question boils down too:

The only older games i would realy like to play are the nintendo own ones. Super Mario, Mario kart, luigi things, Nintendo character tennis/golf/party etc etc.

With that in mind, do you think I would be better off getting a classic controller and wii points or getting an old game cube bundle..?

Ta.

Evanet said:
Im just thinking about the game's i would like to play, and yeah there's the gaping hole in my argument. Im not so interested in nes or snes (played them all to death a long time ago so im done there) But i was thinking about the N64 games as i never had that. As i never had a gamecube either my question boils down too:

The only older games i would realy like to play are the nintendo own ones. Super Mario, Mario kart, luigi things, Nintendo character tennis/golf/party etc etc.

With that in mind, do you think I would be better off getting a classic controller and wii points or getting an old game cube bundle..?

Ta.
IMO id get a classic and a bunch of GC games as you can play those already on the wii, that way you can have your GC games as well as some of the old classics just incase you feel like it, also there are a few good N64 games on VC and im sure therell be more to come

Evanet said:
But i was thinking about the N64 games as i never had that. As i never had a gamecube either my question boils down too:

Ta.
The gamecube cannot natively play n64 games. The Wii can play gamecube discs.

Wii points have nothing to do with gamecube games

I suggest buying a used gamecube controller and a bunch of gamecube games and play them on your Wii and skip VC all together.

Almo said:
IMO id get a classic and a bunch of GC games as you can play those already on the wii, that way you can have your GC games as well as some of the old classics just incase you feel like it, also there are a few good N64 games on VC and im sure therell be more to come

This is almost the perfect answer to your question!! The GC is unneccessary as the Wii will play GC games, although you will still need to buy GC controllers and memory card.

Then you can also download from the VC when something catches your eye!

That is the perfect answer, only thing is game only bundles on ebay tend to be more expensive than console + games bundles.
Anyway, that is a moot point, my wife is better at finding bargains than me so ill get her on the case !

Is there anything the classic controller can do that the gamecube controller cannot ?

Thanks for all opinions

Evanet said:
That is the perfect answer, only thing is game only bundles on ebay tend to be more expensive than console + games bundles.
Anyway, that is a moot point, my wife is better at finding bargains than me so ill get her on the case !

Is there anything the classic controller can do that the gamecube controller cannot ?

Thanks for all opinions
im not too sure, i dont have a classic controller yet but i will get one... im pretty sure most N64 VC games can be played with the GC controller? correct me if im wrong plz

Back