Is learning to play the drums hard ?

Close

幸せ雑&
Oct 13, 2006
Ohio
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Title says it all. Is learning to play the drums hard ?

I wouldnt know, but im guessing it would take alot of practice to get it right.

wow, that has to take the award for oddest question asked in a forum ever...

how do i download romz, was close second

I play guitar now, but for about a month or two, I tried drums. If you plan on using a drum set, rather than being in school band in which you usually are only playing one type of drum, you will be doing multiple things at once. You'll be hitting the bass drum with your foot, the snare with one hand, and a symbol with the other. It's really pretty fun once you get the hang of doing multiple things at once. Unlike some instruments though, you won't be tapping your foot to the beat because you'll be using that foot to play the bass drum. There are also like a million different rudiments, which are just different ways to play the same thing. For instance a para diddle is RLRR (right hand=R, left hand=L). Then double para diddle is, you guessed it RLRLRR. These are more for practice than anything else and getting you to multi task. What personally led me away from drums however, was that it's not a melodic instrument; it percussive. Yeah, I knew that beforehand, but I personally like something I can really play without a band. However, if you don't mind that, then you'll really like it. I don't know whether you need a teacher or not; depends on whether you know how to read music.

Hope that helped.:)

NateTheGreat said:
I play guitar now, but for about a month or two, I tried drums. If you plan on using a drum set, rather than being in school band in which you usually are only playing one type of drum, you will be doing multiple things at once. You'll be hitting the bass drum with your foot, the snare with one hand, and a symbol with the other. It's really pretty fun once you get the hang of doing multiple things at once. Unlike some instruments though, you won't be tapping your foot to the beat because you'll be using that foot to play the bass drum. There are also like a million different rudiments, which are just different ways to play the same thing. For instance a para diddle is RLRR (right hand=R, left hand=L). Then double para diddle is, you guessed it RLRLRR. These are more for practice than anything else and getting you to multi task. What personally led me away from drums however, was that it's not a melodic instrument; it percussive. Yeah, I knew that beforehand, but I personally like something I can really play without a band. However, if you don't mind that, then you'll really like it. I don't know whether you need a teacher or not; depends on whether you know how to read music.

Hope that helped.:)
Yeah it helped thanks for the advice :)

Meh I have no musical tallent

So im gona enter pop idol/X factor

Cant even play guitar hero due to a injury left sholder hurts like hell

god nos how im gona play on my wii

Actually learning to play the drums is incredibly hard, banging and playing really loud is pretty easy.

Learning anything is hard at first. Start basic obviously.

The first exercise in drumming that my Dad gave me (he's played for 20 years), was getting the drumsticks, sitting next to your bed, or a soft surface, and tapping the bed in varying combinations of left and right hands.

Example, R - Right and L - Left, tap the soft surface with the appropriate hand your drumsticks in:

R L R R - L R L L - R L R R - L R L L-
L L R R - R R L L - R L R L - L R L R-

Right hand, left hand, right hand, right hand, that's the order of the first 4 beats. Come up with different combinations.

It sounds weird, but basically the key to drumming, or rather all instruments, is learning how to "separate" your body parts, developing a form of being ambidexterous and tuning it to a beat or rhythm.

It'll be hard, and probably boring too when it comes to learning the fundamentals, but if you get through the first few lessons it becomes incredibly fun and creative.

Back