Is the cable that comes with Wii hi def?

lachesis

WiiChat Member
Sep 13, 2006
Bought the Wii, and plugged it in using the HDMI to RCA connections. Is this hi def quality? I know that the graphics aren't as good as the 360 or PS3 but there are a 'lot' of jaggies - just checking if it's normal, or whether I need a true hdmi/hdmi cable?

Cheers

No, I am pretty sure that the cables included with the Wii are just standard cables for standard television sets. You will need to buy HD cables separately.

You will need to buy component cables theyre ~15bucks depending where you get them from, you will also need to change one of the options and set it to 480p. Im afraid thats the best resolution youre going to be getting out of your wii.

Ah thought so, 480 is just SD anyway so not really worth it. Not that I'm bothered.

Had a 360 and borrowed mates PS3. Most of the games that look good are all FPS games, which my PC can handle and I prefer mouse/keyboard. Only really liked the football/soccer games on consoles but it's cheaper to pick up a PC joypad than buy a 360 right :)

I'm enjoying the FPS on the wii like Red Steel and Ressie Evil 4. Bit different and challenging with the new controls. And I have my PC for those games I really want to play like CoD, Pro Evo Soccer etc.

Thanks anyway

My opinion and understanding is that.. (i live in the uk by the way)... UK SD TV's have a max resolution of 576 lines where as USA SD TV's only go up to 480... so personaly i think if your in the UK stick with the bundled cables you wont get a better pic, but in USA grab some component cables to go from 480i to 480P

Thanks. Our settings were still on 576i and I was wondering why the picture didn't improve with the component cables ..

My Olevia brand TV automatically up-converts a standard signal (480i) but doesn't do it with the progressive scan (480p)

So for me buying the Component cables and changing the settings to 480p actually decreased my resolution (because it wasn't being up-converted anymore)

The Wii looked great playing Zelda and the likes with just using the standard cables and 480i.

I would do a few comparisons before assuming which one is better. It was very noticeable on my TV hence I took back the component cables.

Wiis dont have high deff capabilities... if by high deff you mean 1080i or 1080p.

720s are alright, and 480s are not really anything to go nuts about...

Back