Is the person with the higher ball possesion the better player?

busterblut

WiiChat Member
Sep 12, 2007
Would you all say that the person with the higher ball possesion percentage reflects the better player? If the person who had the lower possesion % won, do you think that they have worse passing skills and tactics and are just lucky? Just interested what you all average as far as possesion goes.

absolutely not. the player with the higher possession percentage just means that they were able to take the ball more than his/her opponent, as well as keep it for a longer period of time. this does not equate to being a better player. and no, those with lower possession percentages who still come out victorious does not necessarily mean their passing skills are under par, nor does it necessarily mean they are lucky. on the contrary, it could mean that they are just more proficient at scoring when they do have the ball. For example, consider this hypothetical situation: In a match, Challenger A scores each time he/she has possession of the ball. Challenger B, on the other hand, scores only once out of three possessions of the ball. If Challenger A comes out the victor, he/she would, mathematically speaking, have the lower possession percentage. As you can see, Challenger A was not lucky in this particular case (even though he had the lower percentage and still won), but was victorious because he was more proficient in scoring. This demonstrates, then, that victors with lower possession percentages may not always attribute their wins to luck and poor passing skills. I hope this helped.

dodabird said:
absolutely not. the player with the higher possession percentage just means that they were able to take the ball more than his/her opponent, as well as keep it for a longer period of time. this does not equate to being a better player. and no, those with lower possession percentages who still come out victorious does not necessarily mean their passing skills are under par, nor does it necessarily mean they are lucky. on the contrary, it could mean that they are just more proficient at scoring when they do have the ball. For example, consider this hypothetical situation: In a match, Challenger A scores each time he/she has possession of the ball. Challenger B, on the other hand, scores only once out of three possessions of the ball. If Challenger A comes out the victor, he/she would, mathematically speaking, have the lower possession percentage. As you can see, Challenger A was not lucky in this particular case (even though he had the lower percentage and still won), but was victorious because he was more proficient in scoring. This demonstrates, then, that victors with lower possession percentages may not always attribute their wins to luck and poor passing skills. I hope this helped.
Well put, I was expecting to come into this thread and throw around some scenarios. I agree that when I play I usually have less possession % because I score quickly, if I do end up with the higher possession % it is generally because I stole the ball a lot. I'm not saying I'm good or anything that is just usually how my stats end up. So to answer your question, no, not always is the person with the higher possession % the better player.

Ive been playing the striker cup today, and won the brick wall and golden she award with my brother. we usually had a higher ball possesion, but trust me. another team could have; for example, 30% and still win the game. we actually beat Mario with 65% possesion and he was only one point behind. ROUGH GAME!

so i believe that ball possesion does reflect control of the ball, and if your mostly in control of the ball, you have a better chance to score, naturally. but just because you lead in possesion doesnt mean you WIN the match. such i learned earlier today.. im about to fight Petey Piranha for the second time today, this should be fun.

Back