Jerry Lewis drops "F" bomb

blueovalboy7 said:
Good points, I'm just saying what about those who are educated with the "full-blown" details and still does not feel they should accept it?
It's debatable, but sometimes when you have all the info, you will automatically be enlightened, unless you choose to disregard things because it doesn't fit in with your views, in which case, one has to question whether he should be in a position to say that in front of cameras at all.

I think we should show them where and why their beliefs are flawed, but if they still choose to keep their ideals what then? I agree if we have problems with people of a certain "group" there should at least be some attempt made at talking with them and at least trying to resolve the differences, but it doesn't always work out.
Well, I don't think its as black and white as that. Some Christians believe that it's ok. Some homophobes are aetheist. When people put their own beliefs over the freedom of others, perhaps they shouldn't be on TV or in the media anyway.

By no means is being ignorant a way out of punishment, if anything it requires some sort of "backlash" as you said. Also I agree that the offended should have the right to say whatever it is they wish to say to their offender, but we generally hope that the offended will be the "more civilized" of the two parties, and from what I've noticed they usually are. Which in turn puts more negative spotlight on the offender which is not a bad thing at all; some how they need to be shown they are in the wrong, but whose call is it for what punishment to be administered.
I agree but then surely the idea of "civility" is one from a priviledged background anyway. What if the response was not civilised, would Jerry be justified? Regardless, with homophobia happening regardless of the actions of homosexuals, it still doesn't equal out.

I can't quote the last paragraph in your post because I'm on the Wii, and it won't have anymore space.

Squall7 said:
It's debatable, but sometimes when you have all the info, you will automatically be enlightened, unless you choose to disregard things because it doesn't fit in with your views, in which case, one has to question whether he should be in a position to say that in front of cameras at all.
Yea I just don't see how we could have known that, unless (going back to the paragraph you couldn't comment on) you invade their private life, or if it has been displayed before. I mean I'm sure the producers did not think he was going to go there, but what if they had and were ok with it, what do we do now?

Well, I don't think its as black and white as that. Some Christians believe that it's ok. Some homophobes are aetheist. When people put their own beliefs over the freedom of others, perhaps they shouldn't be on TV or in the media anyway.
Well I'm not saying in regards to religion alone, I meant as, essentially, society we should not be putting our beliefs before those of another person just because we have the spotlight, we should confront the "problem" in a less hostile manner IMO.

I agree but then surely the idea of "civility" is one from a priviledged background anyway. What if the response was not civilised, would Jerry be justified? Regardless, with homophobia happening regardless of the actions of homosexuals, it still doesn't equal out.
Very true, it most likely will never work out how "it should" or needs to, but we can hope right?

I can't quote the last paragraph in your post because I'm on the Wii, and it won't have anymore space.
Haha alrighty, well I really enjoy having an actual conversation with someone on this site, not just the OMFG YEA! NO WAY! kind of nonsense.

Comparing suicidal tendancies to someones opinoin is the most ridiculas thing i have ever heard off.
the man is going to cark it soon, no worries.

Gaz said:
Comparing suicidal tendancies to someones opinoin is the most ridiculas thing i have ever heard off.
the man is going to cark it soon, no worries.
How is it the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard of? It is their opinion that what they're doing is correct and ok within their beliefs.

blueovalboy7 said:
Yea I just don't see how we could have known that, unless (going back to the paragraph you couldn't comment on) you invade their private life, or if it has been displayed before. I mean I'm sure the producers did not think he was going to go there, but what if they had and were ok with it, what do we do now?
To be fair, I doubt many producers would want to marginalise their audience, especially a fundraiser.

Although I do see your point.

Well I'm not saying in regards to religion alone, I meant as, essentially, society we should not be putting our beliefs before those of another person just because we have the spotlight, we should confront the "problem" in a less hostile manner IMO.
Indeed, but then we have to balance hostility with effectiveness. Boycotting is a good example of protest, but without significant support from people that can and will also boycott, you don't get anywhere.

Of course there is another option, schooling. Enlightening young people about sex will help them understand it. You just have to get over the problem of the parents.

Very true, it most likely will never work out how "it should" or needs to, but we can hope right?
We can hope. Other than that, we can make sure that the next generation on knows that homosexuality doesn't need to be looked down upon.

Haha alrighty, well I really enjoy having an actual conversation with someone on this site, not just the OMFG YEA! NO WAY! kind of nonsense.
Yeah, it's always good to have an intelligent discussion. Less inclined to resort to aggression too, unless one side is ignoring the other.

@Gaz, I was challenging the idea that personal opinions and feelings are sacred and shouldn't be challenged. I wasn't comparing, it was a tangent.

Also, what if he passed on his ideas of homophobia. The problem doesn't just die out, look at young people joining the BNP for example.

meh at least he didn't pull a micheal richards.....he accidentally said it

and what happened to micheal richards? nothing just made a public apology....and maybe he lost his already-washed away career, but he's probably rolling in the dough from seinfeld right now

Squall7 said:
To be fair, I doubt many producers would want to marginalise their audience, especially a fundraiser.

Although I do see your point.

Indeed, but then we have to balance hostility with effectiveness. Boycotting is a good example of protest, but without significant support from people that can and will also boycott, you don't get anywhere.

Of course there is another option, schooling. Enlightening young people about sex will help them understand it. You just have to get over the problem of the parents.

We can hope. Other than that, we can make sure that the next generation on knows that homosexuality doesn't need to be looked down upon.

Yeah, it's always good to have an intelligent discussion. Less inclined to resort to aggression too, unless one side is ignoring the other.

@Gaz, I was challenging the idea that personal opinions and feelings are sacred and shouldn't be challenged. I wasn't comparing, it was a tangent.

Also, what if he passed on his ideas of homophobia. The problem doesn't just die out, look at young people joining the BNP for example.
I think we pretty much covered all we can on this one, and I appreciate your comments, and as for the BNP only thing I know about it is what someone posted earlier and it will take a lot of time and effort to educate today's youth on ignorance and accepting contradicting ideals, but we have to try.

blueovalboy7 said:
I think we pretty much covered all we can on this one, and I appreciate your comments, and as for the BNP only thing I know about it is what someone posted earlier and it will take a lot of time and effort to educate today's youth on ignorance and accepting contradicting ideals, but we have to try.
I agree.

There's a thread in The Lounge section named Britain. It was created by a BNP kid, and you'll soon begin to see that these people almost seemed "programmed". It can just be a bit hard "de-programming" them, especially over the internet. I have to say though, it's essential that we try though.

It's at www.wiichat.com/lounge/35881-britain-your-views.html

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
I agree.

There's a thread in The Lounge section named Britain. It was created by a BNP kid, and you'll soon begin to see that these people almost seemed "programmed". It can just be a bit hard "de-programming" them, especially over the internet. I have to say though, it's essential that we try though.

It's at www.wiichat.com/lounge/35881-britain-your-views.html
I did a little reading and yea I see what you mean. That one would take a lot more than just some online educating, might need to wipe him clean and start over from scratch :smilewinkgrin: just goes to show that people will choose ignorance when they know no better. We have the same type of problem here as well, but it isn't as pronounced here in California, but in the "old south" I know racism and intolerance still runs rampant. We have the KKK and other white supremest groups who choose to be ignorant and unwilling to change. It is a worldwide problem that needs to be dealt with, but I have my doubts on that ever happening.

blueovalboy7 said:
It is a worldwide problem that needs to be dealt with, but I have my doubts on that ever happening.

This got me thinking: things have improved, but will there always be some discrimination to any difference in people?

Here we're using sexual orientation as an example, and in the Britain thread we're using race. It's not only on these "larger" differences, though. For example, people with red hair still get a few loose insults shot at them at my school.

Human tolerance of difference is a strange topic.

AndThen? said:
This got me thinking: things have improved, but will there always be some discrimination to any difference in people?

Here we're using sexual orientation as an example, and in the Britain thread we're using race. It's not only on these "larger" differences, though. For example, people with red hair still get a few loose insults shot at them at my school.

Unfortunately, I believe so, there are some groups that are essentially pre-wired to hate, and to break would take decades if not centuries to break, IMO.

I understand there are more than just the "big" issues to deal with, the smaller ones just don't get the attention the larger problems do. Generally ignorance is the root of it, and if we can educate then we can solve the problem, the only issue is just that, educating them. I know most will not want to listen because of their ignorance, but we have to try right?

Not so much strange, there are just so many different views and opinions that it is difficult to combat it all with one plan of attack. (If that makes sense)

AndThen? said:

I think it depends. Atm, hatred is something that can be passed down from parent to child. It's also a case of bullying through difference. You will get bullies no matter where you are, inner-city or small village schools. Theres always something people pick on, hair colour, surname, glasses, race, sexual orientation, size etc... What we have to do is make sure the cycle gets broken, the victim doesn't become the villain. It's strangely similar with sexual abuse victims, Chris Langham for example.

Breaking the cycle can only be done (imho) through understanding (not just councilling), explaining that what was done to them was wrong, and that they have to make sure they don't do it to anyone else.

Easier said than done. The other alternative is a Clockwork Orange style programming with American History X, My Beautiful Laundrette and This Is England...

Back