Links Running Animation

Flip

WiiChat Member
Sep 25, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Wii Online Code
6487-0727-1500-1514
I've been watching videos of Zelda: TP for a while now, and I am extremely excited about it. I just can't wait. I am a little, i guess upset, by what I've seen in a way. Links animation when he is running seems a little, lack-luster. Does it look to anyone else like he doesn't seem to be running very hard. In OOT & MM, he was running like there was no tomorrow (no pun intended).

I'm sure they won't do anything about it, but what do you guys think? It just seems a little weak. Maybe I'm worrying too much about nothing, but I can't say it doesn't make me worry.

While I'm here, I suppose I'll ask, does anyone also notice that whenever you strike an enemy with your sword, the game seems to freeze for a second. I think this was the same in WW, and probably the N64 ones, but it does irk me a little.

Anyway, don't want to scare anyone into not buying it. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Video - Watch the video More Battles (E3 Wii Off-Screen) (05/11/2006)

Last edited:
the sword issue is done on purpuse. I think this is coverd on the faq for zelda on this site even. Its done to make it feel more like you have hit the enemy. now the animation, well i will look at it some more and get back to you. It would help if you had a video link that shows it clearly though.

Ok, i looked at some video, and you may have a point, but i think he is almost walking, and i think that thier will be a speed boost of some kind with a diffrent animation. The reason he looks like he isent running very much is becuse he is running without moving his arms back and fouth. Its possible this has changed, becuse in the time most of the videos have been made or captured, the controles to the game have already changed. so thats to say they still had time to get a new build of the game out and that would mean its still possible for the animation to have changed. well link runs like a fairy or elf but then again he is one, soo... i dont think its too bad.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was going to put a video in but my net dropped while I was looking for one. Then I forgot about it :). I'll look at getting one now.

I knew about the sword issue already, but I just wanted opinions on it. Really, I'm not trying to complain. Just a topic for discussion.

Mii thinks that Link's running is gonna change coz that vid is of the E3 build and no the final version. I really do hope that they change it

I mean it really doesn't matter how he runs. All it matters is how much fun and satisfaction when you beat the game. I really don't care how he runs.

^yeah but if the running is really done poorly, like if it shows hes not really running thats it just kind of weird
but yeah the game has changed quite a bit since E3 so either they changed that or hes just not running at all, more like a brisk jog, or fast walk
=P

I actually found in OoT, the older and younger links weren't sprinting at all. It was more like a fast jog (apart from young links arms flailing out to the sides), even so it looked very smooth and convincing. I'm downloading one of the battle video's now, so I'll edit my post later after seeing his "new run".

Edit: I see what you mean. The lack of arm movement and torso twisting really kills the kinetic feel of him running. I'd prefer the OoT/MM runing over this. Also can someone tell me if on the Battle Video (top right vid in the link on the OP), that when Link is fighting, the B button displays a sword?

I'm aware this is the E3 vid, and that since then they've announced the Wii Mote will be used to swing the sword.

Last edited:
I have only seen one video with the new controls, It was on youtube, and it was take from behind the guy playing the game, and you couldn’t see the game that good, and I don’t have a link, plus it was very very short, but that’s the only video I know, that is of a newer build then the e3 build. I don’t know what the animations looked like though. Really the animation is prancy, and we all know the origin of link being the creator loved forests and the idea of fairies, maybe having link move like this isn’t so bad. The animation is done well, its just a-typical, but its kinda neet. I would have to see the actual game, to say if I could stand seeing the animation all the time or if it would get annoying soon, because I think that’s really my biggest concern, is not being able to stand to see link move.

I come from art school with a animation major and I am going to say, don’t worry about it, and I’m a pretty picky guy when it comes to game art. I also think that their will be a full out run cycle, but the ones we have seen lack a special ability to make link move faster. The animation we see is done well. How, well his arms may not move much, but he feels very light on his feet. I think he might even extend the balls of his toes before the heal just a tad.

In mm link had a very heavy run animation but when you got the bunny mask, the animation didn’t change, he just sped up along with the animation. I would love to see an implementation when link moves faster, that he does a full on striding charge. This will also make him feel like he is moving a lot faster from his normal trout.

Again we are just going to have to wait until the game comes out to see if it really works or not.

Yes, but remember the game has been in production for a heck of a long time, just post-poned because they wanted to apply the Wii controller. I doubt they'd change the run-cycle now as it apparantly has no negative or positive influence on the Wii-Mote. The only thing they changed in this regard is flipping the game horizontally for links left-hand/right hand swordplay.

Meaning the run-cycle animation was probably already finalized before E3, I hope I was wrong.

The running is a bit weird yeh but I can live with that but his jumping... What da hell?!?!?! He jumps and his elbows stay aginst his body and his hands just sort of sit there weird

Take a look(sorry its not very clear):
Jump.jpg

well at some point, the little things over take the big things. The animations are apart of the game. What parts of the game make a good game and what parts dont. If the animation dident matter, would it be ok for him to just stand in place and move around, like quake? They do matter, as its part of the game. The color matters (btw the color is some of the best i have seen in a game, not best graphics, but best... "art"). The gameplay matters, everything thats in the game makes the game and thus is importent.

In this case, i dont think its a problem and im really picky about my games. especily with the animations, but the animations seem to suit him.

When you say the game was mirrored, does that mean the maps too? exactly what was mirrored? if the null on the sword for codeing perpuses wasent mirrored, but the animation and model was, that would be messed up. i hope the mirror fix wasent too wonky to effect gameplay

IIRC, the entire game is mirrored. Including maps and dungeons and what-not. This is because most people hold the Wii-mote in their right hand. I don't think that will matter much, except for maybe Speedruns of the game.

Zaine06 said:
Who Cares??? Like I Said Before It Doesnt Matter How He Runs Or Jump!!!

I care. If I have to watch link running for the ENTIRE game, I want it to look powerful, or at least convincing. What I've seen so far somewhat unnerves me, because I just can't see the emotion of the character. If it was a character like Zelda, it wouldn't matter so much, as you won't have to watch her for the entire game, but when it's the main character you should probably put a lot more effort into it.

As a comparison, look at some of the videos of Epona in Twilight Princess. When she is sprinting hard, she really feels like she is sprinting hard. It has great weighting built into it.

Flip said:
IIRC, the entire game is mirrored. Including maps and dungeons and what-not. This is because most people hold the Wii-mote in their right hand. I don't think that will matter much, except for maybe Speedruns of the game.

I care. If I have to watch link running for the ENTIRE game, I want it to look powerful, or at least convincing. What I've seen so far somewhat unnerves me, because I just can't see the emotion of the character. If it was a character like Zelda, it wouldn't matter so much, as you won't have to watch her for the entire game, but when it's the main character you should probably put a lot more effort into it.

As a comparison, look at some of the videos of Epona in Twilight Princess. When she is sprinting hard, she really feels like she is sprinting hard. It has great weighting built into it.

Who cares??? I mean do you really have to go into detail about the way he runs. If he aint running like no retard then its ok.

Back