Links Running Animation

Zaine06 said:
Who cares??? I mean do you really have to go into detail about the way he runs. If he aint running like no retard then its ok.

Why post in the thread if your so bothered about its content. People are free to discuss whatever they please about the game... AS you are to protest against it (before you come with a retort), but the FACT is, why bother crunchin down on other peoples fun or imagination if your happy and content on the way things are?

You dont like it then stay clear of the thread. Its like an elderly married couple, the husband tends to agree with EVRYTHING his wife says to save the peace. but you seem to be doing the opposite, why? :wtf:

*EDIT*

I too dislike the current (HOPE its just the current) run animation for Link, and have thought this for a LONG time. I been meaning to join up on forums and discuss it with people in hopes of it being noticed by the games developers and taken into consideration. I saw this thread and thought I would sign up and begin, although its more then likely too late... ah well.

The game it self is shaping up to be one of the best to grace the 'Legend of Zelda' title. Its been said though that the small things do stand out later on, and its true. I would prefer to see link running like he's straight, EVEN if he in fact isn't (no REAL offence towards homosexual individuals). When I 1st layed eyes on the running animation I almost lost interest (jokes), but thats how deeply I took it to heart. You cant build a game world for ZELDA, looking so nice and then miss out the correct or atleast 'better looking' animation for how your going to move around it for the most part :shocked:

*EDIT*

Also been mentioned was the fact that the animation lacks 'feeling/emotion' which I totally agree with. It looks like Link isn't really bothered if he gets caught by the giant spider creature (i say creature cus we all know spiders have 8 small eyes :wtf:) n is more like he prancin n merely looking behing over his shoulder to see if he still being followed, saying "chase me, chase me :aureola:". hence me saying he strolls more so on the limp wristed side of things.. too far for my liking (once again though no REAL offence to homosexual individuals). He's too upright, and needs to lean more forward as if TRYING to reach his destination at an accelerated pace... after giving it more thought he looks as if he's had something BAD happen to his backside in the past and isnt looking to re-experience it anytime soon, so for now I will leave my views open on his sexuality :O

Last edited:
Some good points. Glad I'm not the only one who's seen this, and just thought to myself "Really? That's the animation we have to watch, for 70 hours of gameplay?"

I guess, in the end, it won't bother me to such an extent, as we'll be playing the game, rather than watching the videos. It's like watching Red Steel, or even the bow shooting in Zelda: TP. You just watch the people trying to play, and they miss all the time. Kinda gives me motion sickness when I'm thinking to myself, "Move the gun left! MOVE IT LEFT!" and the player is constantly moving it all over the damn place. Once I get it in my hands, I might be able to overlook the annoying animation.

Flip said:
Some good points. Glad I'm not the only one who's seen this, and just thought to myself "Really? That's the animation we have to watch, for 70 hours of gameplay?"

I guess, in the end, it won't bother me to such an extent, as we'll be playing the game, rather than watching the videos. It's like watching Red Steel, or even the bow shooting in Zelda: TP. You just watch the people trying to play, and they miss all the time. Kinda gives me motion sickness when I'm thinking to myself, "Move the gun left! MOVE IT LEFT!" and the player is constantly moving it all over the damn place. Once I get it in my hands, I might be able to overlook the annoying animation.

True, I think the same at times when watching vids for upcoming games.. BUT you cant help but notice the run, I mean COME-ON! lol. It hurts the sensitive 'gamers' eye, and unnerves the 'gamers' fingers to the point when actually playing you will be trying to find ways in which while running link doesnt look so unemotionaly attached to the task at hand.

Like when I got and played (actually before I got it, and was watching vids, posting in a forum) Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. The regular jump has him looking like he's scared of hights with each bound you make, because his arms flail like he trying to determain whether he's in an oxygen populated atmosphere or underwater :wtf: And so to solve this appauling problem and make him look more HULK like when bounding I would tend to hold down the 'O' button I believe it was. It initiates a pose like he's bounding with purpose, or if he's carrying something/someone he bounds more HULK like.

With Link however I think I've seen him running with a pot above his head or something in a vid and it didnt improve his lower body or upper body movement for that matter :shocked:

"The creators of the game have abandoned me... now there is no hope" (God of War intro speech from Kratos, altered)

Mrjingles_23 said:
lol...yea, I thought it was kinda weird...we can only hope they fix it, or at least hope he stays on Epona if they don't...hahahaha

lol very true :lol:

I don’t think it needs a fix per say. Its not a choppy animation, and it does have its own kind of fluidity, its just not what we are used to, and every zelda game has things we don’t expect/except. tww anyone? TP is as close as any Zelda game is ever going to get to being a fanboys wetdream.

White-Wolf said:
I don’t think it needs a fix per say. Its not a choppy animation, and it does have its own kind of fluidity, its just not what we are used to, and every zelda game has things we don’t expect/except. tww anyone? TP is as close as any Zelda game is ever going to get to being a fanboys wetdream.

May not be what we are used to in terms of a game, but if they are going to attempt to make games likened to real life surroundings, movements, speech, appearence, then they should tune the finer things. I dont personaly see how the animation was considered to be left like that or INTENTIONALY made like that, because as I and others have said it doens't LOOK real. It lacks feeling, not just general poor animated motion.

For a Zelda game, Links run would be the last thing I thought I would have to comment on, because they had no problems in the past. I'm aware however games will always have something not meeting our expectations but bringing it back to the sole fact that there was never a problem before it stands out alot more now.

I have thought though that maybe they are setting Link up for an improvement later on in the game, i.e. Pegasus Boots (ALttP). They said there will be some old and some new weapons, but naturally we would only think of Oot, MM, WW, the recent titles. But maybe they want to ressurect some of the items that are now forgotten in Zelda titles. It was probably the Pegasus Boots that gave them the idea to go on and create more boots for specific situations, i.e. Iron Boots, Hover Boots.
We have seen the Iron Boots alot in the trailers but no reference made to any other type of boot brougth forth from previous games or NEW boots, and with the Hyrule field taking so much time to cover, instead of riding all the time it would be nice to charge up and sprint the length (NOOO not the whole length, just from village to village. Would make it feel more real because if you haven't got any other mode of transport how do we get to places quicker then walking?...) like the running man from OoT.

There maybe be a point where Epona is seperated from you like in MM, and then the boots come into play. Imagine having a sidequest like the Bigoran Sword from OoT, and you have a time limit to run to a certain place. Once you manage to do so your rewarded with Pegasus Boots, and a race track is opened up like the Goran race tracks in MM.

Food for thought. I've been on game forums before for upcoming games and brought forth nice imaginative ideas, that may not be there in the final build but is still nice to share and discuss :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
I will agree, that his movements are alttle strange, but he is an elf, he runs like an elf... but if these are final animations, its still ok. When he runs, it seems like he is really light on his feet.

I also think it’s very possible their will be a speed boost of some sort with a different animation.

Most of these screenshots and videos are from old builds, if the programmers had time to reprogram the controls, what did all the artists do in the meantime? Well they were probably getting out the game wax and polishing things up. Lets hope they didn’t miss a spot.

On a big game like this, if people art working, something wrong. If they have time to fix one aspect, this gives other teams to work on other parts of the game simultaneously, as such it’s not a waste of time.

White-Wolf said:
I will agree, that his movements are alttle strange, but he is an elf, he runs like an elf... but if these are final animations, its still ok. When he runs, it seems like he is really light on his feet.

Running like an Elf light on his feet is one thing, but running like an Elf light on his feet in the face of danger, but merely looking like its a rabbit following him because it saw a carrot sticking out his pocket is another :wtf: lol

Overall I didnt like his run when seeing it throughout dungeons etc, but it really looks out of place in that giant spider chase. He's either not fully aware of what could happen to him if he gets caught by it, or he's over confident and thinks its not worthy of a full pelt run (which I doubt because this link turns from a basic shepard/rancher, to a sword swinging mercenary over night, I assume near reluctantly aswell, had it not been for his village friend being kidnapped and taken into the Twilight Realm). :O

I think that they should show his lack of experience in battle to a certain extent by animating his run in a way alot closer to adult Link from OoT. I'm not saying thats the best run of all ages but it would show that he is new to danger, being brought up in a quiet village untill now. So when an enemy is attacking or chasing and you decide to turn tail and run, it LOOKS as though he is worried (even if not in facial expressions, because it wouldnt suit the part LATER on in the game where he would of grown accustomed to danger) about his health and that he WANTS to live through the incident but still come out triumphant.

Last edited:
MetroidZ said:
i dont really care to be honest. the game is quite big, that make be a reason..

That "make you a reason" what? If you dont mind elaborating a little more

Just to clarify... you think because the games quite big that may be a reason as to why Link runs the way he does?

lol. that just means they dident have the time to make the animation they way they wanted to, and thus it means tp should be delayed. :lol:

Back