Links Running Animation

If they could make link jump up and down in this one it would be a great game. But on the other hand it is not better to jump because it is fun find ways around tough obstacles. But it would be cool if he could jump in LOZTP.

Zaine06 said:
If they could make link jump up and down in this one it would be a great game. But on the other hand it is not better to jump because it is fun find ways around tough obstacles. But it would be cool if he could jump in LOZTP.

I too have thought about that, not entirely in the sense of hoping they add manual jumping in TP, but in general why Link can't jump at will.

Although I'm used to it now and dont really notice it, it gave a feeling of being glued to the ground. Only being able to jump when you reach the end of your current plateform takes abit of realism out of it.
True they done it because they haven't yet include puzzles or traps that required you to jump willfully, but if they did they could add a whole lot more in terms of dungeon difficulty. Think about it, the types of traps currently in Zelda give you the sense of urgency if your being chased by a wall of flame and have to clear the plateform to escape it... but thats not really a sense of pressure, because all you have to do is make sure you hold down the analogue in the right direction, because the wall of flame is set at Links running pace, and will only catch you if you falter.

Now run that scenario again but with a spiked pole stretching across the width of the corridor/room at knee hight, and it moves faster then Links running pace. This requires you to run as far as possible untill its right behind you and then time your jump accordingly. That however will sound like a very simple and recycled trap, but that was a basic idea of what im getting at.
You could add to spiked poles at different hights, one at knee hight, the other at chest hight, and you have to run so far across the length of the with them coming towards you from both directions. Here you would have jump and crouch to avoid being hit, and if they were set on a repeated pattern going back and forth across the room it gives the pressure and urgency.

KaDee said:
I too have thought about that, not entirely in the sense of hoping they add manual jumping in TP, but in general why Link can't jump at will.

Although I'm used to it now and dont really notice it, it gave a feeling of being glued to the ground. Only being able to jump when you reach the end of your current plateform takes abit of realism out of it.
True they done it because they haven't yet include puzzles or traps that required you to jump willfully, but if they did they could add a whole lot more in terms of dungeon difficulty. Think about it, the types of traps currently in Zelda give you the sense of urgency if your being chased by a wall of flame and have to clear the plateform to escape it... but thats not really a sense of pressure, because all you have to do is make sure you hold down the analogue in the right direction, because the wall of flame is set at Links running pace, and will only catch you if you falter.

Now run that scenario again but with a spiked pole stretching across the width of the corridor/room at knee hight, and it moves faster then Links running pace. This requires you to run as far as possible untill its right behind you and then time your jump accordingly. That however will sound like a very simple and recycled trap, but that was a basic idea of what im getting at.
You could add to spiked poles at different hights, one at knee hight, the other at chest hight, and you have to run so far across the length of the with them coming towards you from both directions. Here you would have jump and crouch to avoid being hit, and if they were set on a repeated pattern going back and forth across the room it gives the pressure and urgency.

I agree that is true but they are probably make him jump in this one manually? I am hoping not because I like to run around and solve puzzles on the ground.

Zaine06 said:
I agree that is true but they are probably make him jump in this one manually? I am hoping not because I like to run around and solve puzzles on the ground.

I dont mind either way, I have Prince of Persia if I want to swing on poles and slide down narrow crevices.

The way I look at the way they've done Zelda, He doens't manually jump because theres no need unless theres a box/wall/absence of ground, etc, infront of him. When there is such a obstacle before Link the action buttons command changes to suit what is needed to pass, i.e. grab, climb, or he will jump automatically in the case of absence of ground. This way it leaves room on the control layout for other actions amoung the buttons.

As I said it would only add more realism to the game if you could jump willfully, but it wouldn't really affect gameplay that much, unless they actually devised new traps/puzzles to accommodate the free-jumping action.

BlightedArt said:
This'll be a bit off topic, but it's still about Zelda:

Do you think there's going to be sword-locking in this one?

Sword-locking? might just be me but could you elaborate please?

yea, I'd say...you can lock with the arrow and boomerang, and heres a twist; theres a two-part lock system! You need to put your curser over the object you want targeted, and then press another button to lock it...wait, that kinda sounds like the one before...its different though, I think:S

No not that kind of locking.

I mean like you and an enemy (probably a boss) clash your swords together, and you're pushing towards each other:

BuffyDeadThingsLightsabers.jpg

BlightedArt said:
No not that kind of locking.

I mean like you and an enemy (probably a boss) clash your swords together, and you're pushing towards each other:

BuffyDeadThingsLightsabers.jpg

Had a feeling thats what you ment.
You could do it on Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, dont know about this, maybe when fighting the knights :rolleyes: but then you'd have to button mash (simply), because the Wii remote motion couldn't do the work of applying pressure to the opponents weapon.

Flip said:
I care. If I have to watch link running for the ENTIRE game, I want it to look powerful, or at least convincing.

Link is not an all-powerfull being, (well, Oni Link is. =D) but, Link is an elf! Elfs are elegent creatures, and are light on their feet.

I do agree, I don't like the running animation all the much either, and I also prefer the OoT/MM running.

EDIT: Just found a video of link running like in OoT/MM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=03oBhMUzH6k It is the part right after link wakes up, and gets out of the water, twords the middle of the video.

Last edited:
Jenova said:
Link is not an all-powerfull being, (well, Oni Link is. =D) but, Link is an elf! Elfs are elegent creatures, and are light on their feet.

I do agree, I don't like the running animation all the much either, and I also prefer the OoT/MM running.

EDIT: Just found a video of link running like in OoT/MM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=03oBhMUzH6k It is the part right after link wakes up, and gets out of the water, twords the middle of the video.

I thought link was Hylian or something? Regardless, he is still a "Hero", and he needs the Hero's swagger.

Jenova said:

True I have seen him running like that before, but note we've/I've only seen him running like that during obvious cut-scenes, Each time I've seen him running more likened to OoT/MM it was at a part of the game where your not in control. All the other times when someones playing as Link he runs upright, and I doubt its down to the player not pushing all the way down on stick because its just something you do instinctively. The player who was gettin chased by the spider creature at the time would of obviously felt the pressure and urgency to try and run as fast as possible.

its becuse he is carrying a sword an shield the other times. Look at the video with him running from a spider. It is the only video i have seen in game were he is running and someone is in controle. It looks just like the above video. So, his arms hang when he runs carrying a sword and shield. People wanted realistic, now they got it.

White-Wolf said:
its becuse he is carrying a sword an shield the other times. Look at the video with him running from a spider. It is the only video i have seen in game were he is running and someone is in controle. It looks just like the above video. So, his arms hang when he runs carrying a sword and shield. People wanted realistic, now they got it.

You should check out the vids on IGN then, which are quite old, where someones taking a trip through the forest/swamp temple. He runs how he was in the spider video, I'm not talking about when he's got his sword/shield in front of him, I mean when there away on his back, his run is too upright.

I also kept an eye out before and noted his run didnt really change when sword and shield were drawn, which I thought was even worse then when he was running without them in his hands. It gave the impression of him not knowing what to do with them and was merely holding them because someone said, "hey hang onto these for a sec, brb".

I've only seen him running approvingly when its during cut-scenes as I said.

Last edited:
Back