Linux Live CD for the Wii?

Interesting... I'd love to try something like this out... and considering they're making it so simple with no installs required (or mod chips... yet) it makes it even more interesting! Keep us updated! :)

tuned said:
Interesting... I'd love to try something like this out... and considering they're making it so simple with no installs required (or mod chips... yet) it makes it even more interesting! Keep us updated! :)

There has been live os cds for years.

Linux runs fine on the Xbox 1 so I don't see why not on the Wii. Even better, install Xwine(windows emulator) and play older PC games on your Wii. It's crazy how people can play Diablo 2, StarCraft and even Quake 3 online on their Xbox.

Linux is for nerds. But this sounds pretty cool. An OS on the Wii is pretty damn sweet even if it is the ultra nerdy Linux.

Linux is a complicated operating system like WINDOWS, its mainly used by programmers... and its bug free.. harder to get viruses/trojans

Homesrfan said:

:lol: :lol: Come on man. I simply speak the truth... it may offend some, but hey, someone's gotta do it.

ABC said:
:lol: :lol: Come on man. I simply speak the truth... it may offend some, but hey, someone's gotta do it.
Heh, I was just messing around. I wouldn't say it's for nerdy people but more computer literate. I, personally, don't use Linux, but I really would like to. I'm no nerd... maybe a bit of a computer geek.

Homesrfan said:
Heh, I was just messing around. I wouldn't say it's for nerdy people but more computer literate. I, personally, don't use Linux, but I really would like to. I'm no nerd... maybe a bit of a computer geek.

Dude, I am an audio engineer. I follow every peice of equipment that is released and that has ever been released and I can read signal flow charts and electronic schematics... if I'm not an audio geek, than I don't know what is.

Become a Beta Tester

If you guys wanna help the WiiLi project, go to the WiiLi forums and post to the "Questions about beta testing" thread (err well don't do it now, since they just switched servers and they've disabled the forums for now because of high load). I did and I think I'll be one of the first (hopefully) to try WiiLi out. That would RULE and OWN and all other words describing awesomeness.

There's also another Wii Linux project out there known as, surprisingly enough, Wii-Linux. Check out the blog site at http://www.wii-linux.com. I'm curious to see which group will manage to get Linux running on the Wii first. I'll test out both.

If someone could hack the Wii to allow Mac OS X to run on it, now THAT would be awesome. *is a Mac user, so shoot me if you must*

White-Wolf said:
if it boots without a mod chip, thats awesome. Im not so much interested in the wii as a pc, but I hope this means added dvd support, that nintendo wont add because of economic politics with the owners of dvd regain codes. . Also this may let people play jap games.

The only way that would work would be if you had a USB dvd drive b/c disc in the Wii drive is being used to run the Linux OS.

Nintendo just isn't adding DVD support because they realize it's a waste of time since the majority of people own a DVD player already; DVD support would also cause more broken Wii's cause the laser head would get out of alignment way sooner.

csiguy4u said:
The only way that would work would be if you had a USB dvd drive b/c disc in the Wii drive is being used to run the Linux OS.

Nintendo just isn't adding DVD support because they realize it's a waste of time since the majority of people own a DVD player already; DVD support would also cause more broken Wii's cause the laser head would get out of alignment way sooner.

Wrong. The OS is booted into memory. After boot it does not need the disk. This will allow you to play DVDS IF the OS comes with DVD drivers and a player. This will also allow the sought-after USB hard drive IF the drivers for said specific USB hard drive is included in the OS.

-Bobby

bobby1211 said:
Wrong. The OS is booted into memory. After boot it does not need the disk. This will allow you to play DVDS IF the OS comes with DVD drivers and a player. This will also allow the sought-after USB hard drive IF the drivers for said specific USB hard drive is included in the OS.

-Bobby
then how would you get it back into Wii mode if everytime you boot it after inserting the DVD it goes to linux?

bobby1211 said:

-Bobby

Good luck loading the whole OS into memory. They'll probably have to do page swapping with the flash memory to keep it all running.

Back