MetroidZ

Only took 4 years to get1
May 20, 2006
London, England Rank: i-wii-sistable
Wii Online Code
1000-0000-0000-0000
Sony Australia talks Nintendo
October 10th, 2006

A few comments regarding Nintendo from Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia…

“(speaking of Aussie price point) Nintendo is a great company as far as games development goes, they have been around for a long time, they know how to deliver an entertaining product. My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point. Even though it’s affordable, at $400 plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I’m guessing you need to spend about $500 to take home a Wii and enjoy it,”

“(discussing the Wii’s unique functions) I’ve heard good things about it. For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry. What we’ve done on PlayStation 2 with social gaming has broadened the audience and we’re glad that [Nintendo is] attempting to do similar things to open up the market to families and never-before gamers. Time will tell. For this Christmas I think the price for what it specifically does as a video games machine is a bit pricey,” said Ephraim, continuing by believing that it’s a long term plan, for which Sony has “great respect for.”

http://aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=5765

Asssssholes. if they try to diss Nintendo i wont buy their ****. unless they stop now.

In Australia PS3 is about $1000 with no games or accesories, yet this Sony guy fails to mention this for some reason, I wonder why , Sony calling Wii expensive is shocking when there console is the highest priced console of all time.

Wii = £180 in UK, with console, wiimotes and wiisports game.

PSP = £190 in UK, no games, cheap accessories i.e. 32mb memory card.. WOW. with a game psp was £220. wii is cheaper and better.

[fanboy rant]

WTF!? That slightly angers me. So you're telling me I'm gonna have to spend close to $500 to enjoy the wii huh? Let's do the math here...

$267.50 for the Wii (Including tax)
$53.50 for Twilight Princess
$42.80 for another Wii-mote (Which won't even be needed for ZTP)
-----------------------------
$363.80

Note: Wii comes with 5 games (in one package, but still) providing a free game, so technically, You can subtract that 53.50 from the Wii.

Now let's do the math for Sony

$642 for the PS3
$64.20 for a game
$31.10 for a controller (Just a guess, giving them some credit)
-------------------------------
$737.30

Shall we throw a high def TV in there too? Then we'll be looking at about $1,800++.

Screw Sony, they're just jealous that Nintendo happens to be getting all of this publicity, and support and are climbing their way back on top.

EDIT: To be completly honest, Sony needs to fire this guy. I'm not against Sony at all, but think about it... Read that article 3 or 4 times, and tell me that he doesn't make himself sound like a fool.

*ALL prices are rounded, and slightly estimated.

[/fanboy rant]

PS. I know those are Aussie dollars, but I'm American, so I'm talking about it here.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to post this for those of you who don't know the facts. This is quoted DIRECTLY from that link that MetroidZ supported us with. This is non-biased, and provides facts more than opinons.

"Aielyn says:
I must say that Sony are definitely trying to spin in Australia.

First of all, he says you will need to spend at least $500 to be able to play the Wii... of course, we all know that the $400 system comes with everything you need to be able to play... there may be things that improve the experience, that you could buy (such as additional games, or more controllers, or component cables, or what-have-you), but $400 will give you everything you need to experience the Wii.

On the other hand, the PS3 will require a game. So, at the very least, you would have to spend $950, maybe as much as $1000, for a rudimentary PS3 experience (based on a game costing at least $100, plus the core package).

Of course, he then runs with this "$500" figure, which indicates that he is somewhat worried about the $400 price-tag. How can I tell? Because this is what we call "spin". PR people spin when they don't have the facts to back them up.

Second of all, he described the DS as "younger, female-oriented"... Well, I suppose that compared to the PSP, the DS is female-oriented, but I must say that I have seen a total of two females with DSes, whereas I've seen more like 5 or 6 males. And I've seen just one child with a DS out of that eight or so (not including myself). And the fact that Brain Training managed to top the DS charts when it was released puts paid to the "younger audience" argument.

Third of all, it is quite comical that he claimed that it takes time for price points, perceptions, and consumers understanding the product takes time. It is comical because at launch, the PSP sold better than the DS, to my recollection, and it has only been recently that the DS has started to really become more popular. Of course, the perception of the PSP at launch was "a handheld that isn't for kids" (Nintendo still had their kiddy image, of course), and the DS was a product that was far harder for the gaming consumer to understand than the PSP. I wonder which of these two products fits the description that this guy gave? I would say the DS is the product that started weak, and grew stronger as perceptions changed and consumers understood the product.

Of course, it is entirely possible that many people before me have made the same response. I admit to laziness, in that I am not going to read through all of the comments made by those before me. So if I have just reiterated what others have said, I apologise."

hmmmmmmm wait a min you need a hd tv to play ps3 right so thats about 900 for ps3 and hd tv 120 for two games so they are wrong it is more expensive to enjoy a ps3 at £1100 you can get about 6 wiis for that price

1 they say that the ps3 is cheaper to enjoy hmmmmmmmmmmmmm well duh your wrong sony £400 + game say 2 £120 = dumb sony £520
wii £180 + 2 games (3 games inc wii sports) £80= smart nintendo £260
the result you have to pay at total amount of £260 more than nintendo thats double the amount of what you pay for nintendo enjoyment hmmm a bit wrong sony maybe your empolies to primary school

Back