Loads of help needed please

iang

WiiChat Member
Feb 14, 2008
Hi. First time poster here.
Having several problems here - which might need several people to assist us.

First problem is getting connected online. I am getting a very strange error code. Now this was the case when I was with Sky Wireless. I have now changed over to Virgin Media, and am getting similar problems. Virgin Media is not through a wireless router and is cable. I think I am going to need a cable. Is this connected from the phone socket? Which cable do I need? The engineers did say that because it was cable I did not need one of the splitters that go between the socket and the line. Can I use my Sky Wireless Router anywhere here? I have had my Sky subscription ended now, so am not sure wether i is just the modem that will not work or the router as well. I am a bit of a technophobe. I need an idiots guide to what I need to be able to usemy Wii to get onto the Internet, and also to be able to log onto te Wii channel and download games. The Wii was purchsedin Germany in December, but is working fine. Will this mea a change in the configuration settings?:confused:
Can anyone / any people help?
Thanks in advance.

You need to buy a lan adapter. It will come with an ethernet cable. I am using it for my wii. and i connected it to my wii into the router.

Are you saying that I need a LAN adaptor just to access the IIntendo weather and News channels on the Wii main menu screen?

no. It will give you online so you can do that and much more like shopping on the wii shop channel and playing online.

At the moment I cannot even get onto the Wii shopping channel..... (I did say I was useless!)

As you've been already told, if you don't want to or can't use the built-in wireless of the Wii, then you need to buy the USB LAN adapter for the Wii. This will allow you to use a regular network cable to hook the Wii onto your home network.

If you don't already have a home router to then plug the Wii into, you'll need to get one of those too.

More info here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

Well, you *have* to have an internet connection of some sort for the Wii. Either a wireless network to connect it to, or an ethernet cord plugged into the aforementioned adapter.

I'm not familiar with Sky Wireless, so I don't know what the router they gave you can offer for you. If it is a wireless router, and can be used with a different internet service provider's network (maybe call Sky Wireless and ask), then it should be able to get your Wii online. If not, then you'll either need a different wireless router or access point, or the aforementioned adapter.

You won't need a "cable" (like a cable television cable--called coaxial) to connect the Wii. If all you have is the Virgin cable modem, you'll need a router so that you can plug in more than one device to share the internet service. If you're really a non-techie, and can afford it, it'd probably be easiest to get a router (wouldn't have to be wireless) and the adapter.

First what the heck is a sky router? I would just get a regular cable modem with a lan adapter or (the better option) a linksys or netgear wireless router

pantherfan: this thread is over 2 weeks old and long dead. Please don't bump old threads.

Back