Mario Party 8 UK - PULLED

vagrant said:
You can play it.

They just had to recall them because some of the copies weren't changed like they were suppose to have been.
yea srry but like however the uk rates video games they gave it a [esrb “e” rating ] and it contained an offensive word could that be a reason they pulled it 2?

gunsnroses said:
yea srry but like however the uk rates video games they gave it a [esrb “e” rating ] and it contained an offensive word could that be a reason they pulled it 2?

Did you even read the posts in this thread?

Actually vagrant I DID read the entire post. I was pointing out another possible cause to the pulling and offensive nature of the game. Perhaps you should take some time and consider your posts before just upping your post count. Some people try to stimulate intelligent conversation while it appears others just want to stomp it down. Perhaps if one of the british members could coment if some people where offended by this aspect of the game or not. I dont think you would be in that loop being from iowa

I read up there that it was dumb because we british can't play the game because of that and our liberties are being eaten away? Would it have been fine if it had just called someone a faggot or ****** in a different situation? Of course it wouldn't it would be recalled in a shot (well never hit the streets at all), they're offensive terms and to be honest spastic is also an offensive term that is close to some people's hearts mainly those who know sufferers, now it's obvious that the useage of the term was meant to be "americanised" I know there's a lot of terms that are completely different over there to what they are here and vice-versa and that's fine but you have to take into account localisation and in this case they hadn't.

Oh and to Vagrant, we call people american or say something is "totally an american thing to do" if we want to insinuate that they're slightly 'special', violent, lacking in moral ethics, complete evangelist nutters or over the top...well...pretty much everything like that "Trust an american to do..." springs to mind.

Heh, you lot can't even swear on your tv programs, or even any of a host of lesser swear terms (yep, my american girlfriend was totally shocked when she came over a couple of weeks ago and heard SWEARING on a non adults only channel XD she looked at me and asked how they could and could children watch it ^_^;) and I know that has nothing to do with the topic I just found it mildly amusing that shows that inject reality using the courser language are thus lessened in impact.

Taero said:
Oh and to Vagrant, we call people american or say something is "totally an american thing to do" if we want to insinuate that they're slightly 'special', violent, lacking in moral ethics, complete evangelist nutters or over the top...well...pretty much everything like that "Trust an american to do..." springs to mind.

I wasn't making fun of the british in general, I was poking fun at the british who felt this word was too offensive.

But since you went there, 1775/1812 GG.

And Shadow, we know for a fact it is the word spastic.

The word spastic is now SCOPE in the UK - see http://www.scope.org.uk/

Spastic relates to people with cerebral palsy, and has nothing to do with political correctness or freedom of speech. The term spastic is offensive within the English language (not US English), it can be likened to the use of the words, ******, Flid and anything else used to offend someone because of their personal appearence or deformities.

I would suggest that the younger members here, do a little research before jumping on the PC / Freedom of Speech boat.

Haz said:
The word spastic is now SCOPE in the UK - see http://www.scope.org.uk/

Spastic relates to people with cerebral palsy, and has nothing to do with political correctness or freedom of speech. The term spastic is offensive within the English language (not US English), it can be likened to the use of the words, ******, Flid and anything else used to offend someone because of their personal appearence or deformities.

I would suggest that the younger members here, do a little research before jumping on the PC / Freedom of Speech boat.

1) Repped for droppin the N-Bomb!

2) We know what the word means offensively, you are like the 5th person to say that in this thread. So congrats on the redundancy.

vagrant said:
I wasn't making fun of the british in general, I was poking fun at the british who felt this word was too offensive.

But since you went there, 1775/1812 GG.

And Shadow, we know for a fact it is the word spastic.

vagrant said:
That's silly. When I was a kid I use to just call people "british" if I wanted to make fun of them!
doesn't look like it was just those finding the word offensive to me, don't you have any words/slang in your language that are offensive?

And I wasn't poking fun at americans at all, my girlfriends american so it wouldn't be taken very well, perhaps I should have said that "we" meant in general as an all inclusive pronoun rather than myself, though it IS odd that when you ask the average american what their roots are they'll tell you everything apart from that they're american, Irish, Welsh, French anything, though I guess technically they're not americans as there were natives there previously.

I can only assume that by 1775 you mean the American Revolution wherein america declared independance from the British Empire, well all I can say to that is GG the countries sure made itself popular with...well...itself though that isn't really the populaces fault at all so don't think I'm having a go at them, I'm not. If we hadn't ceded control without too much contestion then who knows where we'd be :) overstretched to the detriment of all I would imagine :) Mhmm I wouldn't call it a revolution actually as technically nothing revolutionary occurred, there was a war and a distant government was swapped for a local one...wow

Oh and by 1812 I assume you mean the start of the war the US declared on the UK ending in 1815 and based on a trade embargo declared to increase pressure on the French deemed invasive and illegal by the US government (oh and we nabbed some of your sailors as well n.n;;) Oddly enough when we offered to withdraw the trade embargo after war was declared with an aim to end it without major loss of life (and obviously so we weren't at war :p) the offer was refused and the war was turned into some second independance thing.

I will say though since you seem to like quoting numbers 1600/2260, if you were wondering these are the British/American casualties of said war, each a tragic loss of life but as you seemed to be trying to peddle notions of american supremecy over the british in each case I thought you might like it :)

Though the war against the UK actually helped to unite the US to a far more cohesive force than they may otherwise have been and likewise with Canada, it helped their moral that they never ceded to america and as such is known as a victory against invasion for them and strangely as the second independance I mentioned earlier :S odd as they weren't gaining independance from anyone :S

Ah well apparantly American History likes to leave certain things out so I hear from Kayte (gf and second year history student) and aren't actually allowed to teach things though to be fair they have got a lot of native history in their country which is much more relevant than the Irish potato famine or whatnot. I know the UK has messed up it's fair share as well and shouldn't be liked, heck we owned most of everything at one point :p Is it true they're not allowed to show american casualties of the war in Iraq on the news in america by the way? I was told they weren't as it would lower populace moral? How odd.

Jesus this has turned into some kind of essay thing, so to summarise, yes you did insinuate/state that you use British as a blanket term to use as an insult and no it was not limited to those thinking the use of the word spastic is wrong and yes it IS wrong in our culture/language and as such you can't call it PC gone mad or a stupid thing to do.

Oh and to eric lewis :) I assume they will replace it with a new one with the edit so you're not losing anything, except perhaps time. Not like I'll get it though, I've heard bad things, perhaps I'll rent it :)

Taero said:
doesn't look like it was just those finding the word offensive to me, don't you have any words/slang in your language that are offensive?

And I wasn't poking fun at americans at all, my girlfriends american so it wouldn't be taken very well, perhaps I should have said that "we" meant in general as an all inclusive pronoun rather than myself, though it IS odd that when you ask the average american what their roots are they'll tell you everything apart from that they're american, Irish, Welsh, French anything, though I guess technically they're not americans as there were natives there previously.

I can only assume that by 1775 you mean the American Revolution wherein america declared independance from the British Empire, well all I can say to that is GG the countries sure made itself popular with...well...itself though that isn't really the populaces fault at all so don't think I'm having a go at them, I'm not. If we hadn't ceded control without too much contestion then who knows where we'd be :) overstretched to the detriment of all I would imagine :) Mhmm I wouldn't call it a revolution actually as technically nothing revolutionary occurred, there was a war and a distant government was swapped for a local one...wow

Oh and by 1812 I assume you mean the start of the war the US declared on the UK ending in 1815 and based on a trade embargo declared to increase pressure on the French deemed invasive and illegal by the US government (oh and we nabbed some of your sailors as well n.n;;) Oddly enough when we offered to withdraw the trade embargo after war was declared with an aim to end it without major loss of life (and obviously so we weren't at war :p) the offer was refused and the war was turned into some second independance thing.

I will say though since you seem to like quoting numbers 1600/2260, if you were wondering these are the British/American casualties of said war, each a tragic loss of life but as you seemed to be trying to peddle notions of american supremecy over the british in each case I thought you might like it :)

Though the war against the UK actually helped to unite the US to a far more cohesive force than they may otherwise have been and likewise with Canada, it helped their moral that they never ceded to america and as such is known as a victory against invasion for them and strangely as the second independance I mentioned earlier :S odd as they weren't gaining independance from anyone :S

Ah well apparantly American History likes to leave certain things out so I hear from Kayte (gf and second year history student) and aren't actually allowed to teach things though to be fair they have got a lot of native history in their country which is much more relevant than the Irish potato famine or whatnot. I know the UK has messed up it's fair share as well and shouldn't be liked, heck we owned most of everything at one point :p Is it true they're not allowed to show american casualties of the war in Iraq on the news in america by the way? I was told they weren't as it would lower populace moral? How odd.

Jesus this has turned into some kind of essay thing, so to summarise, yes you did insinuate/state that you use British as a blanket term to use as an insult and no it was not limited to those thinking the use of the word spastic is wrong and yes it IS wrong in our culture/language and as such you can't call it PC gone mad or a stupid thing to do.

Oh and to eric lewis :) I assume they will replace it with a new one with the edit so you're not losing anything, except perhaps time. Not like I'll get it though, I've heard bad things, perhaps I'll rent it :)

(Insert Random Comeback To Make It Seem Like I Actually Read The Quoted Post)

Taero;
Excelent, reply by the way. The casualty count of american forces is actually disclosed on a daily basis. What is hidden/obscured from us is the civilian casualties. Then again I guess its dificult to say who is an aggressor and who is a non-aggressor in that situation. What wories me is what the current administration IS hiding from us. In my opinion we are in some really dark and frightening times over here. I'm more afraid of how our goverment tends to screw over the common man because big industry is lining there pockets than I have ever or will ever be of terrorists, Its becoming more blatent and obvious. Well any-who I also heard the game isnt really worth it anyway. I'll rent it one day and decide for myself.

shadowrunner said:
Taero;
Excelent, reply by the way. The casualty count of american forces is actually disclosed on a daily basis. What is hidden/obscured from us is the civilian casualties. Then again I guess its dificult to say who is an aggressor and who is a non-aggressor in that situation. What wories me is what the current administration IS hiding from us. In my opinion we are in some really dark and frightening times over here. I'm more afraid of how our goverment tends to screw over the common man because big industry is lining there pockets than I have ever or will ever be of terrorists, Its becoming more blatent and obvious. Well any-who I also heard the game isnt really worth it anyway. I'll rent it one day and decide for myself.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic.

Back