Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii Chess Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by JT., Sep 8, 2007.

1. JT.

JT. A glitch in life

Wii Chess is coming out this winter, but no one knows what it is...

Though it needs it's own thread, so that people can suggest what Wii Chess is. Maybe it'll be the first Wiiware game?

Source
    It's there in the list, in bold, with a release date of "Winter".

If you happen to find any info on it, post it in this thread, and I'll update this post with the new info.

Update 1:
    Wii Chess is part of the Wii series (Wii sports, Wii play, Wii Fitness, Wii Music,...). Source

#1 JT., Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. LeWaffles

LeWaffles CUSTOM

i don't have any info nor do i like the game of chess, but i decided to help you out with this bump.

3. JT.

JT. A glitch in life

I don't really like chess either, and it isn't very poular, so I don't get Nintendo's logic behind this, unless they make some uber pimped version of chess!

4. Tairusu

Tairusu WiiChat Member

I have a feeling this one will be free.

Sounds silly, I know, but considering how I can type "Chess" into google and get about 100 free online chess sites I can't imagine any one paying good money so they can play with nintendo themed chess pieces.

But how is chess NOT popular? It's one of the biggest games in the western world, and just about every city on the planet has a chess club where you can meet and socialize with other players for a very modest fee (Usually $10 a month.)

As a disclaimer, I'm not a chess fan and if this service costs money then I'll just chuckle to myself as it fades into obscurity... if it does end up being free though.. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for Wii Go! :D

#4 Tairusu, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  5. Eagles

Eagles WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5207-2685-9420-8549
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    I really like chess, but I wouldn't buy a chess game. I much prefer to play it in real life with someone especially if it's a round of strip chess with my GF lol ;)

6. blueovalboy7

blueovalboy7 They call me Hammy!

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I can honestly say I've never heard of/thought about that, wow, so that would require an intellectual girl as well as a girl that is comfortable with herself, score one for you bud.

7. Eagles

Eagles WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5207-2685-9420-8549
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    Thanks, she's quite a keeper and I'm better then her at chess lol which makes it even more fun ;) Moving back on to Wii chess, had a look around and couldn't find any more info for you, quite a mysterious title! :)

8. JT.

JT. A glitch in life

Well, I made an update. Figured I ought to see what info's on wikipedia. Found a tiny piece of info, which suggests it won't be a Wiiware title, but you'll actually have to buy the game. And it'll be interesting how they get enough depth in the game, seeing as simply chess won't sell. Maybe we'll get yet another accessory with it?

9. blueovalboy7

blueovalboy7 They call me Hammy!

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    If they really plan on marketing this as a normal game they better be giving us another accessory, but I really don't need another Wii remote, so maybe Wii points?:D

10. Tairusu

Tairusu WiiChat Member

Well, I'd take the wiki with a grain of salt considering it's working off the same information every one else has right now. Honestly, there's not enough here to make speculation, unless nintendo is going to do to chess what they did to soccer it's destined to flop (if they charge money for it.)

11. JT.

JT. A glitch in life

What if they released an external hard disc, and it came bundled with wii chess? Now that would be cool!:yesnod:

12. ScuzzBuster

ScuzzBuster WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8112-1897-2331-9869
    8112-1897-2331-9869
    Yes, it's amazing how incredibly unpopular chess is. Nobody plays it at all. Nobody buys the millions of chess sets produced each year, goes to the hundreds of tournamants around North America every year, or reads any of the several periodical magazines devoted to the game.

Why would anyone ever play this game that has simply been phenomenally unpopular for hundreds of years now?

I mean, if I DON'T LIKE IT, it must not be popular...right?

Geez...virtually every console dating back the Atari 2600 has released a stand alone chess game. No, they don't outsell Zeldas and Halos, but Chess stands as the most popular board game of all time...

#12 ScuzzBuster, Sep 15, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  13. Warrior

Warrior WiiChat Member

This sounds ok, board games on the wii would be awesome online! But i think they should have given it another name, so they could include Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Cards, etc, etc.

That would be great, id buy it i think.