Medal of Honor Vanguard is looking good

Wiitime

the guy below- HES BACK!!
Oct 15, 2006
Wii Online Code
1405-1695-6567-5492
ign has an article on this game and it sounds good. I am really happy with Ea. They are really doing great so far and it looks like it. Madden is terrific, SS Blur is suppose to be good, this game seems good. Tiger woods too! Ea is doing a good job with everything. ( check out something i bolded which sounds cool, end of the article)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766566p1.html

Electronic Arts kick-started the wartime first-person shooter with its Medal of Honor franchise and now the series is on its way to Nintendo's new Wii console. Medal of Honor Vanguard follows Corporal Frank Keegan, a member of the elite 82nd Airborne Division, which stormed the shores of Sicily and attacked Nazi Germany during World War II. You control Keegan as he first parachutes onto the battleground and then engages the enemy in epic shoot-outs. Like Call of Duty 3 for Wii, Vanguard is packed full of scripted action sequences, from exploding buildings in the foreground to planes bursting into flames and crashing in the background, and as a result gamers will very likely find themselves engulfed in the experience. The version of the title is, naturally, based on the PS2 one of the same name, but features both enhanced graphics and expanded controls tailor-made for Nintendo's innovative remote. We recently went hands-on with two levels from the nearly-finished Wii build and we've come back from the battlefield nearly unscathed with the following report:

Vanguard for Wii utilizes a mixture of live-action documentary-style war footage -- most of it in black and white -- and character voiceovers, to tell the story. The title begins as the 82nd Airborne Division is prepping for battle. Corporal Keegan narrates over vintage video sequences: "For an extra $50 a month, we'd be part of a great American experiment in warfare," he says. The title is comprised of four integral operations from WWII, including Operation Husky, Neptune, Varsity and Market Garden, the latter of which yielded the largest airborne deployment of the war, according to Electronic Arts. As the shooter begins, we're offered a glimpse of some of the intense drops that the 82nd went through so many years ago -- and interestingly, gamers will get to play through the drops themselves.

Each mission opens with a drop -- Keegan and his squad parachute downward and attempt to land safely on the battlefield below. There's more strategy to this seemingly simple task than one might initially consider. While novices will, of course, be able to go from point A to B, which happens to be the ground, without any real skill, pros can an attempt to sway the direction of their chute and land atop drop points, where weapons and other goodies await. Depending on the items gained, each level can potentially be played in an entirely different way.

We've provided first Wii screenshots and video in our media section and we recommend that readers download and look them all over. From the opening real-time sequence, it's clear that Medal of Honor Vanguard employs a much more advanced 3D engine than Call of Duty 3 for Wii, which produced a decidedly washed out, drab look. In contrast, Vanguard boasts deep colors, advanced lighting effects (in darkened hallways, allied soldiers are illuminated with each bang of your gun and it looks amazing) and crisper textures, and in addition it's able to display action sequences with much more going on. This becomes evident from the very first drop into Holland, where players can see groups of other paratroopers floating downward as planes dogfight nearby. It looks very good -- a cut above most GameCube titles, which shouldn't be surprising since Wii is roughly twice as powerful. The game also runs in 480p and 16:9 on Nintendo's console and, according to EA, the Wii build sports improved graphics over its PlayStation 2 counterpart on top of enhanced controls.

The Wii-based parachute controls are intriguing. Gamers hold both the Wii remote and nunchuk facing upward as though they were the straps of the chute. The chute gains speed and effectively falls closer to the ground when gamers push forward on both remotes. If they pull backward, it slows. Meanwhile, it's also possible to operate each strap independently, pulling back on the nunchuk, for instance, and pushing forward on the Wii remote in order to trigger a right angle descent. In our experience it feels spot on -- our only gripe is that the parachuting sequences are usually over in less than a minute, sometimes even less, which barely offers players enough time to appreciate the view before their on the ground.

Once gamers are on foot, the action switches to a more traditional first-person shooter style. Players who battled through Call of Duty 3 for Wii will find many similarities in the control scheme, with the big difference being that Activision's shooter controls just a little tighter than EA's. Gamers move around with the nunchuk's analog stick and aim/shoot with the Wii remote, but Vanguard's bounding box is slightly bigger and therefore the process of turning requires a wee bit more effort. The Medal of Honor team has to its credit, though, offered a variety of control customizations in order to satisfy most needs of players. Just about every facet of control can be tweaked, from overall remote sensitivity to inverted aiming. In addition, EA has included an option that, when turned on, limits novices from accidentally aiming too high or low on-screen and losing sight of their reticule; instead, it keeps most of the action centered. Pros will probably never use the feature, but gamers who sometimes find that they've lost sight of their reticule during first-person games may find it handy. Finally, players can flip on a simulated centered/locked reticule, which on paper is an ideal addition, but in practice it's more sluggish than the standard configuration.

Despite being slightly slower than Call of Duty 3 on overall responsiveness, Medal of Honor bests Activision's shooter in a number of related areas. For example, it's much more intuitive and enjoyable to throw a grenade at enemies in Vanguard. After pressing left or right on the D-Pad, gamers simply aim the Wii remote at their required target and then hold down the B-trigger, which locks the screen; an overhead toss gesture with the pointer then chucks the grenade. Gamers can also flick the nunchuk to the left to execute an instant 180 turn, which is a valuable inclusion. And, best of all, is the true analog lean functionality. After the iron sights (basically, a gun's scope or zoom) are engaged by holding the A button, players can hide behind walls and peak around corners with analog precision -- and it feels absolutely fabulous. Other notable control additions include the option to spring by pressing D-pad up or, when enemies are nearby, to perform a melee move by motioning forward with the Wii remote and nunchuk.
The first level of the title sees players through parts of Holland, running through dilapidated buildings or hiding behind vehicles and shooting it out with enemy soldiers. It's pretty basic run-and-gun gameplay, to be sure, but the scripted cut-scenes add a cinematic element to the experience that is sorely missing from the majority of shooters. And on top of that, scoping in on the bad guys and shooting them down is a lot of fun, even if it's not exceptionally innovative.

The second area shown to us, Der Bunker, takes place alongside an Italian coastal town. It's a brick-laid town with curving architecture and soldiers run amok. Leaning around walls and using the iron sights is integral for players who want to stay alive. We noticed in our play time that enemy AI is not always predictable. Sure enough, some combatants will run forward, guns blazing, Rambo-style, but others lack the guts to do the same. As our forces advanced on the enemy, we saw one soldier tuck tail and run for his very life. One of our squad members called out "We've got a runner" before we pulled out our Thompson and gunned the poor fool down.

Vanguard enables players access to a variety of weapons, from sniper rifles to automatics and MG-42s, but gamers will not be controlling any vehicles. EA said it wanted to focus on the foot missions and so it left vehicular combat out of the equation.

Vanguard does, however, have its competitors beat in the area of a multiplayer mode. Call of Duty 3 lacked one entirely and Medal of Honor boasts a four-player split-screen option completely with traditional deathmatch, capture the flag and king of the hill game types. Unfortunately, the company was unable to showcase these modes during our presentation.

Look out for much more on the game before its March release. In the meantime, don't forget to download new Wii screens and video from our media section below

Yay finally a good shooter game for the wii. The first game i got for the wii was call of duty 3. It was good but it was too short and no multi, so I just returned it and got Wario Ware. I hope that Medal Of Honor will be online.

This has a lot of potential....Can't wait to hear more reviews and see more trailers. And have you see the cover art at IGN!? Its so hot. Way better than Call of Duty 3 and the controls sound so awesome. I pray to God that the graphics are as good as can be but I trust EA will do the best job possible.

Last edited:
if it has multiplayer, and has solid control, i'll think about it.
but even if it only has single player, i'm playing this

when ign/gamespot/whoever suggests in previews that companies should "iron out the kinks" in their games, do the companies never listen, or is it just me? i seriously doubt the game's controls will change at all. stupid companies.

Yeah I think its gunna be the second best game so far, next to Zelda of course. I never bought a real shooter before the Wii just because of the shittay dual analog stick controls but I rented and bead CoD3 and I loved it. I'm not really an EA fan but you know they can do a better job than Activision. I think I'll preorder this game soon.

Back