Memory Card Question...

coolg35748

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2006
United States
I am new to the whole memory card thing. I have a 360 and dont need a memory card but will I need one to save games on the wii or does the wii have a larg amount of memory?

coolg35748 said:
I am new to the whole memory card thing. I have a 360 and dont need a memory card but will I need one to save games on the wii or does the wii have a larg amount of memory?

You'll be able to save a lot of saved games on the Wii - I have over 2000 blocks, and my Wii sports save takes up 2 of them... I think my Zelda save is the same.

Remember that you also have to use this space for new channels and downloaded virtual console games, so an SD card would be a good investment if/when Nintendo update the firmware to allow saving direct to SD.

Nope - each save game uses "blocks" - think of blocks like space on a disk.

Blocks can be used by saved games, VC Games, new channels (such as the web browsing channel), and pictures/MP3s/Videos on an SD card.

So each game takes up 2 blocks and the wii has 2,000 blocks on the console.... what about a 1 gig memory card does it have 1,000 blocks that are on it?

I am just speculating that each save game takes 2 blocks - I know my Wii sports save does, and I *think* my Zelda does (although it could be 5). When I popped my empty 1GB SD Card in, it told me there were something like 7000 blocks available from what I can remember - it was late! I'll confirm all of this and post a little later on...

Okay...

Wii memory - 2101 blocks

SD 1GB - 7554 blocks

Wii sports save - 2 blocks

Zelda save (1 save slot used) - 1 block

TG16 game - 4 blocks

thisisgil said:
Okay...

Wii memory - 2101 blocks

SD 1GB - 7554 blocks

Yowza, that doesn't make alot of sense to me...

If the Wii Memory is 512 MB... Then.. Shouldn't it be half of the 1GB SD card?

Or does the Wii itself use some of the memory for other things besides saves and such?

Trulen said:
Yowza, that doesn't make alot of sense to me...

If the Wii Memory is 512 MB... Then.. Shouldn't it be half of the 1GB SD card?

Or does the Wii itself use some of the memory for other things besides saves and such?

I don't believe the system is counting blocks that is reserved for firmware and other system needs. It subtracts it and shows whats free for the user to use.

Back