Mini-Review of MP-8 from a more adult gamer...

cleoent

WiiChat Member
Nov 6, 2006
I'm not super old (25) but have a wife and kid and am old and decrepid so I count as an adult :)

Picked up this game today even after reading all of the bad reviews. My wife and I who have never played mario party games before this spent some time playing tonight after the munchkin went to bed. We love it!

It took about 15 minutes to kind of understand wtf was going on, but boy did we get competitive and have a great time.

Graphics are good, this isn't suppose to be a Gears of War competitor. They are colorful and there are good animations. It really SUCKS that there is minimal widescreen support, i dont think there is any excuse for that.

The support for the wii-mote is almost perfect. There are a couple of games so far that we've been a bit upset with the moves not registering properly but overall, GOOD.

I have a feeling this will be an outstanding party game for our families (mom's and dad's both love wii-sports) and our friends to play.

That's all.

Thats promising, I'm still not 100% sure if I'll get it, I have really enjoyed Mario Party mulitplayer in the past which is always a plus. Do you mind giving it a score out of 10? :)

Well I've only got about an hr into it, but i would give it a 7.5 out of 10. 1 point gets docked for widescreen, .5 point for goofy control problem, and 1 point because the computer beat my wife and I the first time and it was set to easy!

i got the game yesterday, i really enjoyed it, but i didn't have anybody to play with me. the only thing i didn't like about it was all of the talking you have to wait through. and i know most people don't play single-player, but it sucks when you have to wait for two other computer players to duel in a minigame. but patience is a virtue, right? the controls were great, it made me laugh a few times, and it's addictive. good game.

im sure its good for mario party lovers and partygame lovers. Its just not the type of game for basement dwellers is all :p

Kenji510 said:
Does one of the minigames have the wii sports in it like the tennis, baseball and bowling as well?
I dunno, but I was watching "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" just now (maybe a re-run of yesterday night), and I saw Paul Pierce playing a basketball mini-game in Mario Party 8 against one of the hosts.

Kenji510 said:
Does one of the minigames have the wii sports in it like the tennis, baseball and bowling as well?

Not that I have saw. They have like game extras you can open that have table tennis, bowling. They do have a homerun mini game but not like wii sports.

I think IGN's score is a bit unfair, they rated it against its predecessors. I think the gist is that if you've played other mario party games this won't be a must have but if you're new to mario party I'm sure it isn't bad. I was a maybe until IGN's review, I probably won't get it though. After buying spiderman I've told myself no games unless they have amazing reviews all around. I'll stick to computer games.

Back