modding the wii!!!

thank you potatowedgie, your my new friend. Moneys money. Wii's are wii's, now if I was putting a new heart in my mother, then i would worry about warrenty :)

PotatoWedgie said:
I don't know how people could expect to install a mod chip and not void the warranty. Yes a Freeloader's coming out someday, but there's nothing stopping Nintendo from releasing a firmware update to disable it. The advantage of an upgradeable modchip is that it's pretty much guaranteed to work forever (just don't update until a new firmware's been released).

And if the manufacturer stops releasing firmware updates, it'll be picked up by the community.

Oh, and I paid full price for my Wii. Little solder ain't gonna hurt, and if it does...it's only money ;)

The Freeloader is a simple disc, I doubt there would be a firmwire update to block that, while as for the Modchip, you can continue on your "upgrades", but they'll just keep updating the firmwire until these "upgrades" become too expensive for your pockets, then you accidently cut a wire here and there, and your left with a faulty system. You know for a fact Nintendo will not stop releasing Firmwires, unless the Wii becomes obsolete and they focus on their next gen system.

unggoy said:
thank you potatowedgie, your my new friend. Moneys money. Wii's are wii's, now if I was putting a new heart in my mother, then i would worry about warrenty :)

Yep, great minds think alike ;)

Kamikaze said:
The Freeloader is a simple disc, I doubt there would be a firmwire update to block that, while as for the Modchip, you can continue on your "upgrades", but they'll just keep updating the firmwire until these "upgrades" become too expensive for your pockets, then you accidently cut a wire here and there, and your left with a faulty system. You know for a fact Nintendo will not stop releasing Firmwires, unless the Wii becomes obsolete and they focus on their next gen system.

It'd be a lot easier to block a specific software than to block a chip which (for all intents and purposes) offers the same data to the Wii as if the chip wasn't installed. To be honest, I'm not sure how Nintendo would detect the chip in the first place, but if it does happen, that's what upgrading's for.

Regarding that, the modchip upgrades are offered for free on the 'net as ISOs. You burn them to DVDs and insert them into your Wii to overwrite the modchip's firmware. Free :cornut:

doesn't matter

doesn't matter, I am still going to buy that wii mod kit when it comes out... I wanna pay less for games and play just as well!! w00t w00t

unggoy said:
doesn't matter, I am still going to buy that wii mod kit when it comes out... I wanna pay less for games and play just as well!! w00t w00t

I'm probably gonna wait on mine for a while, because one of the big reasons I want to play is because I'm trying to learn Japanese, and I can't think of a better way than by playing Japanese games ;)

My Japanese isn't up to that level yet though, so I probably won't be modding my Wii for a few months.

mushi mushi! i took japanese way back in high school.. im 24 now and could barley remember it

My Wii Is Now Modded!!!

so i am in california for training for mal-practice insurance class, I brought my wii with me. I went shopping in LA, and stopped at a videogame store right outside LA and they MOD wii's so I brought my wii in the next day after I got out of the training and they kept my wii for 3 hours, paid, and now my JAP version of PLAY WORRRKKSSS!!!! w00000t w000000t, they say its the first customers wii that they modded, saaaaweeeeeeet. So when I come back to Orlando, I will be the first I believe to have a modded wii!!!!!

EDIT: THEY TOLD ME IF I KNOW ANYONE THAT NEEDS A MODDED WII to refer them to. They say if out of state it would take 1 week total, so if you want your wii modded, and can hold off for playing for a week PM me and I will give you the information to call them. THANKS!

Last edited:
unggoy said:
so i am in california for training for mal-practice insurance class, I brought my wii with me. I went shopping in LA, and stopped at a videogame store right outside LA and they MOD wii's so I brought my wii in the next day after I got out of the training and they kept my wii for 3 hours, paid, and now my JAP version of PLAY WORRRKKSSS!!!! w00000t w000000t, they say its the first customers wii that they modded, saaaaweeeeeeet. So when I come back to Orlando, I will be the first I believe to have a modded wii!!!!!

EDIT: THEY TOLD ME IF I KNOW ANYONE THAT NEEDS A MODDED WII to refer them to. They say if out of state it would take 1 week total, so if you want your wii modded, and can hold off for playing for a week PM me and I will give you the information to call them. THANKS!

unggoy,

I wanted to confirm with you, after you have modded your Japanese Nintendo Wii, is it mean that you can have English Language system later? I own a Japanese Wii too but only Japanese Language available. : (

Back