Need SSX Blur review from average gamer

KyleForMe

Don't believe his lies.
Dec 13, 2006
IL, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Wii Online Code
5710-8093-1849-3803
Ok so maybe the title is a little deceiving, but what I mean is that I would like someones opinion who has played this game but was not really a fan of snowboard games before.

I haven't really gotten into them since way back when on ps1, and fear I will get board of this game too quickly for the price. Also I have not been into Tony Hawk games since early PS2, if this helps.

Does it have a decent variety of gameplay? Enough for someone who leans more towards games like GTA, Zelda, Mariokart, etc...

And yes I searched and read reviews on and off this board.

I don't think it's what your looking for.
The courses are to strict on your traditional real life mountain courses (with insane obstacles and ramp set-ups though...)

Not enough variety like in Tricky.
And they eliminated the characters speaking which added a lot.

The quality of the game is pretty good, especialy graphics and controlls (besides uber-moves) but it just isn't that fun...

7.5-8.2 I'd say... So I wouldn't reccommend it. But there arn't many games yet so if you despretely want something you might as well get it.

I never owned any snowboarding games. This is the first I've ever bought, I really enjoy it. I also love games like zelda and mario kart. Closest thing to snowboarding was a Tony Hawk game I played on a the computer a while back which I really liked, can't remember which it was. As far as the games that are out right now I think its one of the better ones. I can see myself getting bored with it eventually but I've played it a ton since I got it a week ago.

Variety-wise there are five types of events. Slopestyle (tricks on course), Half pipe, Race, Slalom, and Big Air (tricks off a couple big jumps). There are also challenges and collecting of tokens to unlock uber tricks.

I love races and slalom, half pipe I also enjoy for the most part. Big air is fun when the mood strikes. I don't like slopestyle too much.

Some have said that the peaks are similar to other SSX games, but I haven't played those and to me they are huge and lots of areas I still haven't explored on the slopes. I've gotten first in all of the events though. It'll be a while before I fully learn all the peaks and such.

Last edited:
Skorp said:
I never owned any snowboarding games. This is the first I've ever bought, I really enjoy it. I also love games like zelda and mario kart. Closest thing to snowboarding was a Tony Hawk game I played on a the computer a while back which I really liked, can't remember which it was. As far as the games that are out right now I think its one of the better ones. I can see myself getting bored with it eventually but I've played it a ton since I got it a week ago.

Variety-wise there are five types of events. Slopestyle (tricks on course), Half pipe, Race, Slalom, and Big Air (tricks off a couple big jumps). There are also challenges and collecting of tokens to unlock uber tricks.

I love races and slalom, half pipe I also enjoy for the most part. Big air is fun when the mood strikes. I don't like slopestyle too much.

Some have said that the peaks are similar to other SSX games, but I haven't played those and to me they are huge and lots of areas I still haven't explored on the slopes. I've gotten first in all of the events though. It'll be a while before I fully learn all the peaks and such.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Sounds convincing.

I have one more question for anyone, would you buy this game if it were on xbox/ps with traditional control styles?

The reason I bought SSX was because I played a snowboarding minigame on super monkey balls that I really liked. There is also a sledding type portion in Twilight Princess which I was psyched about. I realized that I really enjoy that type of game and so decided I'd buy it.

I've never played anything similar on xbox/ps that I can remember so I'm not sure how the experience is with traditional controls. I'm sure it would still be fun, but the tilting of the nunchuck for carving and the drawing of shapes for uber tricks makes the Blur experience very unique and enjoyable. Another reason I picked it up is because its the first game besides Twilight Princess that has been universally well recieved by people on these forums. If there were more must have titles on the Wii right now I'm not sure if I'd have bought it, I'm definately glad I did though.

EDIT: Now that I think about it the snowboarding in zelda didn't incorporate any tilting for turns or anything, just used the analog stick. I did find it enjoyable still.

Back