SSX Blur Review

RivalDestiny

WiiChat Member
Staff member
Dec 15, 2006
Michigan
Wii Online Code
0409-5781-9484-0073
This is my 5th review I believe, the other 4 are DS games. Anyways....today i'll be reviewing a game called SSX Blur. Come and check it out..

Other Reviews
Elite Beat Agents Review
Wario Ware: Touched Review
Brain Age Review
Advance Wars: Dual Strike Review
Meteos Review
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Review
SSX Blur Review
Super Paper Mario Review

Where to Buy:
Current price on this game is $49.99, and can be bought nearly at every store where you find video games.

SSX Blur, The Wii's First Snowboarding Game
5030932055231_cover.jpg

Gameplay, Hard At First
The controls seem to be very simple, what you do is carve (or turn) with your nunchunk. You also have tricks, to do that you must fling the wii mote in a certain direction to pull off a certain trick. This may sound easy but it's actually pretty hard. Carving and doing different tricks takes a lot of practice and can take up to 4 or 5 hours to get used to the controls. There are also tricks called "Uber Tricks", when your groove meter is up to Uber you can draw shapes on the screen which will perform them. This also will take a lot of time to get used to. Uber Tricks perform in solo-mo and gives you more point totals compared to a regular trick.

Even though this game is hard to get used to, doesn't mean that this game is unenjoyable. Once you get all the controls down, it's a blast. You have 3 different peaks to explore and many tournaments you can join. There are things like Races, Half-Pipes, and Slope competitions. As you go along you can also unlock new boards, skis, and the proper attire for your character. I'm taking a wild guess, but I believe there are about 15 characters you may choose from.

ssx-blur-3.jpg

An example of carving (turning) in SSX Blur

Graphics, Good Sign for EA
The graphics and visuals in this game are actually very good for a console like the Wii. Effects play in well, there are some minor glitches though...I'm no big graphic fan so i won't go in depth with this...

Story, Hm?
There really...is no story behind this. There is a career mode you can pick from which lets you play as a character and try to beat all the tournaments and competitions, but there really is no story to it.

Multi-Player, Meh it's alright..
Multiplayer for SSX Blur is a little weak, sure you can race against 4 friends or try to beat them on the slope, but it's just not to the level most of people want today. No Wi-fi for this game really brings in down, but it overall it's alright.

ssx_blur_ubertrick.jpg

This is one of the UBER tricks you can pull off

Replay Value, Very Good
The Replay Value for this game is pretty much endless, it's like playing Tony Hawk. There is no story to it and it's just a good game to play if your bored or something. With new unlockables things like tournaments, costumes, competitions, uber moves, characters, levels, peaks, and other things, you just can't miss out on it..

There are also other SSX Games out there!
SSX (PS2)
SSX: Tricky (PS2)
SSX 3 (PS2)
SSX: On Tour (GC, PS2, PSP, Xbox)

Overall Score:
8.4/10

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I agree with you except on the final number. I'd take about 1 point off of yours just because while nothing seems very wrong nothing is extra appealing or anything.

It was fun to play when I rented but not something to buy imo.

I definately agree, I just got Blur off ebay brand new for $20 and that was a great deal. I've been playing it a lot in the last few days.

i rented it, and it was not really fun. and i love all the other ssx games....:(

Cap'n Crunch said:
i bought this but didnt like it, so i brought it back.

I did the same.
Loved the past SSX's but couldnt get used to this one, especially when a tiny movement of your wrist at the end of a trick can send all those point FLYING.

Back