New Super Mario Bros.

phimuajedi69

WiiChat Member
May 9, 2006
NC/SC, US
Blurb from Nintendo:

Twenty years after Nintendo’s biggest franchise was born, the Mario Bros.® return in a dazzling, all-new platformer sure to set players’ fingers twitching. Fans from Mario’s classic days will see their dreams answered in this return to the Mushroom Kingdom, while a new generation of Mario™ players will learn what true platforming greatness means.

Features

* Jump, bounce and power-up through visually stunning side-scrolling worlds filled with Mushroom Kingdom madness. Mushrooms make Mario ultra-tiny or ultra-huge, and new items like the Blue Shell (which transforms Mario into a spinning shell that wipes out enemies) will keep players on their toes.
* The worlds are swarming with classic enemies like Goombas and Koopas, but watch out for new foes, big bosses and unbelievable challenges.
* As Mario and Luigi, two players can battle for stars on specially designed levels over local wireless. The game won’t end until one bro. reigns supreme.

This game will be released on May 15.

This game is gonna be awesome, check out the vids on http://mario.nintendo.com if you don't believe me!

Best of all its coming out soon (no disrespect to the wii, but I hate waiting....)

I new platformer mario is exactly what the doctor ordered. The sales for this game should be high in demand. I dont own a DS but Im sure those of you who do will go and pick this title up.

got this game last night, didn't put it down until i was through the first world....really sweet.

my impressions:
1) great nostalgia: the first two levels begin as exact clones of the original (only for like two screen widths, then it gets mixed up to the new game
2) nice blend of old, current, and new elements: all the original powerups work exactly as you remember, some more recent ideas are incorporated (red coins that appear for a fixed time and give a 1up if you collect all 8, and huge coins (kinda like the yoshi coins from smw), 3 per stage, that you can use to unlock different places on the world map)....finally the new, super huge and really tiny mushrooms add a new twist to the gameplay and interesting puzzles
3) graphics: mario never looked so good....the look is very reminiscent of smw only updated in 3D which gives better control over the animations (fireballs now create a splash and ripple effect in water and the enemies 'dance' to the background music)
4) 'dancing' enemies: i was a bit freaked when the goobas started jumping to the mario theme in the first world and the fish in the first water world would spin while travelling forward
5) # of levels: ok, so the first world was pretty easy, but it always is...it had 6 (i think) regular stages, 1 unlockable stage, 1 tower (mini-castle), and 1 castle. in addition to 4 (maybe?) mushroom hut locations with bonus games to earn 1ups or powerups and a cannon thing that i can't get to yet.... so for seeing 1/8th of the game i'd say the little ds cartridge is packed
6) minigames: similar to sm64 on the ds, most of the games that come pre-unlocked are direct copies but there are a couple new fun ones, not sure yet if there are more that become unlocked later
7) multiplayer? don't have anyone to try this out with yet, but went through the menus and there is an option to play with some who both does and doesn't have the game
8) oh yeah....the flags are back: once again hop on a flagpole to end the level, if you jump high enough (i did it once with the mini-shroom powerup) you can even earn a 1up (though i should have flown over the flag :(, maybe you can't do that anymore)

all in all, this game is classic mario goodness! i would say 5 stars (excuse the pun....)

phimuajedi69 said:
got this game last night, didn't put it down until i was through the first world....really sweet.

my impressions:
1) great nostalgia: the first two levels begin as exact clones of the original (only for like two screen widths, then it gets mixed up to the new game
2) nice blend of old, current, and new elements: all the original powerups work exactly as you remember, some more recent ideas are incorporated (red coins that appear for a fixed time and give a 1up if you collect all 8, and huge coins (kinda like the yoshi coins from smw), 3 per stage, that you can use to unlock different places on the world map)....finally the new, super huge and really tiny mushrooms add a new twist to the gameplay and interesting puzzles
3) graphics: mario never looked so good....the look is very reminiscent of smw only updated in 3D which gives better control over the animations (fireballs now create a splash and ripple effect in water and the enemies 'dance' to the background music)
4) 'dancing' enemies: i was a bit freaked when the goobas started jumping to the mario theme in the first world and the fish in the first water world would spin while travelling forward
5) # of levels: ok, so the first world was pretty easy, but it always is...it had 6 (i think) regular stages, 1 unlockable stage, 1 tower (mini-castle), and 1 castle. in addition to 4 (maybe?) mushroom hut locations with bonus games to earn 1ups or powerups and a cannon thing that i can't get to yet.... so for seeing 1/8th of the game i'd say the little ds cartridge is packed
6) minigames: similar to sm64 on the ds, most of the games that come pre-unlocked are direct copies but there are a couple new fun ones, not sure yet if there are more that become unlocked later
7) multiplayer? don't have anyone to try this out with yet, but went through the menus and there is an option to play with some who both does and doesn't have the game
8) oh yeah....the flags are back: once again hop on a flagpole to end the level, if you jump high enough (i did it once with the mini-shroom powerup) you can even earn a 1up (though i should have flown over the flag :(, maybe you can't do that anymore)

all in all, this game is classic mario goodness! i would say 5 stars (excuse the pun....)

Wtf... I reserved it and it said it was coming out the 21st >>

i don't think anyone except nintendo knew when it was actually coming out, best buy had tuesday the 16th pegged, walmart had the 17th (which is where i got mine on the 15th, hmm....) but nintendo and some gaming sites on the web said the 15th and there it was

Nice... finally an actual Mario platform game for the Nintendo DS...

Umm... has it already been released?

Love the game, on lv3 now and it's getting interesting, seeing how twisted the characters can be, and how their moves change as the worlds move on is very interesting, keeping the game play alive throughout. I'll have to agree, 5/5 on this title as well.

finished it yesterday! man even after a week of play this game is still awesome, now i'm going back and unlocking everything....gotta agree with the critics on how disappointing it is that two of the worlds are completely optional (and hard to get to), but on the bright side there is even more mario after you beat the game

but I am trying to get all the coins and as many 1ups as possible in each level.

yeah i was at first, then i got fed up with the powerup specific ones and decided to get as many as i could and finish the game, then go back and explore to unlock everything (world 4 is pretty sweet, 7 is a bit harder to get to haven't managed to unlock it yet :()

as for 1ups i finished the game with 70 lives left over and i wasn't trying to collect them so you'll probably be ok in that department

Back