New Wii, problems with Gamecube games

Richt2705

WiiChat Member
May 19, 2009
Hi all, just joined the forums hoping for some help or ideas.

I just picked up a Wii finally. My kids loved the Gamecube and still have a ton of discs for it, so the Wii being backwards compatible was a huge motivator to get the latest nintendo system.

I am having an issue with Audio on any GC disc I play on Wii however. I can put in any GC disc, and the disc loads fine, I see the Gamecube emblem and the tones..and this also sounds fine.

However once I click start on any GC game...I can hear a sound like static, or popping in the sound. It is constant. I still get the games audio, so I guess I could turn it up to try and mask this. Just wierd that it doesnt start making the sound before I hit start on any of the GC games.

If I remove the disc, hit reset and put in a Wii disc the sound is fine. It's only GC games in the Wii that are giving me issues. I'm not really sure what to do, I dont want to hook up the Gamecube again, and didnt think I would need to with the Wii around.

Any ideas?

Nope, no ideas. My Wii plays all my games fine. Whenever I hear a static sound from my games it usually turned out to be my tv. You know when you plug in av cords and plug them out a lot they start getting lose and then eventually the video messes up and soon does the audio and then you have to jiggle the chords a bit to get it to work fine but then you just get fed up and buy a new tv....

edit:
looked it up myself and found that some people had a similar problem but on the wii menu. i read that a system update fixed it up. have you updated your wii?

Last edited:
Nope, no ideas. My Wii plays all my games fine. Whenever I hear a static sound from my games it usually turned out to be my tv. You know when you plug in av cords and plug them out a lot they start getting lose and then eventually the video messes up and soon does the audio and then you have to jiggle the chords a bit to get it to work fine but then you just get fed up and buy a new tv....

The whole setup I am using the Wii on is new. The TV is about 4 days old now, and the Wii is 3 hehe. I think Ive only plugged and unplugged the cables 2-3 times trying different ports to fix the issue. Also the wierd thing is that it is only GC games running through the Wii.

Everything else on that TV (PC media center, Xbox...and regular Wii discs) all work woithout any sound issues. Its only the Gamecube discs when run through Wii.

Would a better quality component cable possibly help?

edit:
looked it up myself and found that some people had a similar problem but on the wii menu. i read that a system update fixed it up. have you updated your wii?

When I hooked it up for the first time over the weekend, it did say an update was available. So I took that update.
I dont know if the GC games worked before the update or not, as I hadnt played anything yet. Took the offered update immediately after seting up the unit.

Is it all Gamecube games or only a certain few? It might be the game itself as you mention the Wii games runs fine. If all else fales you can always return it and get a new system as long as you didn't buy anything off the Wii online store yet. You could always try a new compenent cable which I assuming your using the default supplied cables. With the compenent you'll also get a slightly better visual as the games can now run in 480p.

Is it all Gamecube games or only a certain few? It might be the game itself as you mention the Wii games runs fine. If all else fales you can always return it and get a new system as long as you didn't buy anything off the Wii online store yet. You could always try a new compenent cable which I assuming your using the default supplied cables. With the compenent you'll also get a slightly better visual as the games can now run in 480p.

It seems to be all of them sofar. My kids have about 30 GC games collected, and I've tried about 10 so far...so I cant definitely claim all of them...but out of about 10...theyve all had the static/popping sound in the audio.

I do have some component cables coming tomorrow in the mail to replace the standard ones that came wiht the unit..so Ill try those. If it doesnt work out..I may look into exchanging my Wii. Maybe I just had some bad luck.

I had originally thought maybe the GC discs were just too dirty/scratched...so I wasted money on a cleaner device..only to find out it didnt fit GC discs lol. But cleaned a couple real well by hand..and still no go.

Really dont want to waste a space on the shelf for the GC with the Wii right next to it if I can help it....but the kids will absolutely freak out if they cant play the GC games lol. It really stinks as the games load, look fine and the sound works...just has that buzzing/popping running through the audio..really kills it.

Dad is stuck in a jam on this one.

That just sucks, hope the compenent cables fixes the issue. If not, just do the swap and hope that fixes it, good luck and do keep us updated on the progress.

Well,
I tried the component cables..and they didnt help.

So I exchanged the unit, and now everything works just fine.

So either I had a flaky Wii, and some bad luck..or maybe it was the update? I chose not to take the update this time..as I was scared to do so. I remember it was one of the first things I did during setup the first time.

So one of those 2 things was the cuplrit. Right now though, I can play all the GC games and my new Wii games..no issues with audio or video. And those component cables I got are going to good use also.

To all who responded and tried to help..Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking your time to read and try and help out.

That just sucks, hope the compenent cables fixes the issue. If not, just do the swap and hope that fixes it, good luck and do keep us updated on the progress.

It has nothing to do with cables as he mentioned the regular Wii games work fine.

Call Nintendo customer service they are amazing.

If in U.S. 1-800-255-3700

EDIT: whoops replied too soon. Saw that you resolved the issue. Will still leave post up for others looking for info though.

So either I had a flaky Wii, and some bad luck..or maybe it was the update?

It's not the update. Don't be afraid to update your system. You're problem is VERY rare, you should feel lucky.

Last edited:
Back