New Wii with DVD playback?

Clish said:
Our Wii alraedy plays DVD... i don't get why ppl don't get that.... all the Wii needs to play DVD movies are a firmware update.... i don't get why you ppl don't get that.. i mean... it has been posted several million times....
Because that is a flat out lie.

A Wii cannot play a standard dvd without a hardware update.

every week someone starts a wii dvd topic and its crap its 2007 everyone who a tv has a dvd player even if its in your old ps2 at one time i have a ps2 an xbox 360 and a dvd player in my room plus you will to change the drvie in your wii to make it spin right and a firmware to start it up, the new "dvd wii" if there is one is for people who don't have wiis and are looking to buy one but can't make there minds up

I understand people want the wii to play DVDs so that they can "simplify" their home entertainment set up, but at this point it's just a waste. You'll probably be upgrading to blu-ray or HDDVD before you upgrade to the next nintendo system so there's not much point to getting a wii that can play your Samurai Pizza Cats box set. (Oh yeah, that show isn't on dvd yet. :mad5: )

It's already proven that the Wii does not need a hardware upgrade to play DVD movies. There is already a mod that allows it to play DVD movies and it's already said that the reason the current wii does not play is because of the cost of the license software. Just so everyone knows a dvd drive is a dvd drive no matter if it's a wii, ps2, gamecube, Xbox, PC, or a player all it needs is software to tell what it needs to do. Any IT or programers knows this. Anyway just google if you want to know how to play DVD's on your Wii, but do know that it voids your warrenty.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo was smart with not including a DVD player in the original Wii, even when the first Xbox came out I thought it was a waste and an extra $50 or whatever I was paying for since I already had better DVD players in every TV in my house.

jlspec said:
It's already proven that the Wii does not need a hardware upgrade to play DVD movies. There is already a mod that allows it to play DVD movies and it's already said that the reason the current wii does not play is because of the cost of the license software. Just so everyone knows a dvd drive is a dvd drive no matter if it's a wii, ps2, gamecube, Xbox, PC, or a player all it needs is software to tell what it needs to do. Any IT or programers knows this. Anyway just google if you want to know how to play DVD's on your Wii, but do know that it voids your warrenty.
You dont know what you are talking about.

Do you even know what a mod is? IT IS A HARDWARE UPDATE.

The wii spins game discs in the opposite direction of a dvd disc, and therefore it would need a hardware update to be programmed to spin the dvd disc the correct way.

The wii mod is not a hardware update, it's to trick the system or in other words bypass the seceryty check of the disk. To make this simpler research on how a mod chip works and what's really on the so call CHIP of these MOD chips, you'll find it that it's not a hardware at all. It's more of a onboad bootup disk then a hardware. I could get tech. here but it's a waste of time to write and explain how programing works as it relates to hardware. The funny thing about all this reading disk backwards and stuff is that it doesn't really matter. What matters is how data is written/press onto the DVD. Hell a computer DVD drive does not read backwards but do explain how it is able to read a Wii disk? Oh yeah did I forget, the DVD enable Gamecube is an exact copy but with a larger DVD insert plus DVD software installed (stated by NIntendo plus panasonic) Like I said before if you know anything about programming or how hardware works it's pretty simple.

I wouldn't mind a DVD player on the Wii. I have it set up the main living room and do not have a DVD player because we hardly watch movies in there. We watch our movies downstairs in the basement. Now that my daughter is 2 though, it would be nice to have DVD player ability so she can watch her kids shows while the wife and I cook dinner.

Also, before everyone chimes in with "buy a cheap DVD player", I only have a few inputs on the TV and the Wii is hooked to component and the digital cable box is hooked to S-Video.

Back