New Wiimote and sensor bar info

NateTheGreat said:
Yeah, that's correct, atleast for the games that came from previous consoles like the NES, SNES, and N64 games. However, there will be new franchises created for VC by independent developers, which could use the sensor bar.

I thought the sensor bar was already smaller than that?

Here's a pic posted on this site of the sensor bar:

131-new-up-close-wii-images-barrita_personalizado.jpg

Isn't that smaller than two pencil's placed end to end?

Maybe they mean in width, like two pencils glued side-by-side :confused:

i0n said:
Maybe they mean in width, like two pencils glued side-by-side :confused:
Yeah...or two pencils that have been sharpend down...a lot?:D

Hopefully they were just describing it poorly and it's gotten smaller than how it's pictured, not that that's a bad size, but the smaller, the better.

Also, I think it would have been a really smart move by Nintendo if they had allowed you to save your controller settings for every game in the controller's memory so you could just bring your controller over to your friends how and be ready to play, rather than having to recalibrate. Maybe they will after all or maybe, later on, they'll release a wiimote that has more memory storage? It can't be that difficult!

Last edited:
So... 60 Mins Without The Sensor Bar... How WOuld You Play Without It? :confused:

Thats 60 HOURS not MINS and it'd be used for example in the VC games where there isn't any rumble, sensor use, speaker use etc and instead you're just powering the bluetooth wireless in the controller. Though I agree with previous posters about the battery issue and I also think they'll release their own rechargeable ones that take the place like you can get on remote control cars/boats/whatever.

in touch with the wii said:
:rolleyes: well acording to ngamer mag it 4 inchs and the remote has 60 hours if you dont twist shake or tilt it well that woul be dull to save batteries:rolleyes:
:nono: :rolleyes: hello plp read my posts they contain good information (sometimes) you could never use the wii mote with out the sensor

Um actually you can use the wiimote without the sensor bar. In Virtual Console games, which can be either the original games for the NES and SNES you'll only be using the face buttons (the N64 games will probably require the Classic Controller shell because the N64 used a joystick, which the wiimote lacks). That's why the Wiimote is shaped the way it is; when turned sideways the wiimote's buttons are layed out just as the NES were.

*EDIT* Just realized you also will be able to play Wii racing and flying games or basicly any Wii game that doesn't have an on-screen cross-hair because the sensor bar is only used to figure out where the wiimote is pointing on screen and how far away from the TV it is.:hand:

Last edited:
I sure hope the Wiimote doesn't use two AA batteries especially when the life expectancy is only 60hours. That won't even last a week! They go for about a buck each...so thats like 2bucks every week for one Wiimote. And if we game a lot with friends then we're going to be spitting out money to buy those batteries!

Chynkinese said:
I sure hope the Wiimote doesn't use two AA batteries especially when the life expectancy is only 60hours. That won't even last a week! They go for about a buck each...so thats like 2bucks every week for one Wiimote. And if we game a lot with friends then we're going to be spitting out money to buy those batteries!

So you play 8-1/2 hours a day, 7 days a week? That is ridiculous. I think an average of 3 hours a day, 7 days a week is more realistic - thats still 21 hrs a week (or half of a standard work week) that should last your almost 3 weeks.

And why would you buy new batteries every time. Spend 10 bucks the first time, get 4 rechargeables and a charger. They even sell 2900 mah batteries now. I read somewhere that standard duracells have 2850 mah (essentially the same) So one charge should last you the same as a regular battery - and all you pay is the cost of electricity from the wall, which isnt really that much. Make sure you get NiMH batteries, you can recharge them over and over again without reducing the life like you see in a cell phone battery

Back