NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

KaDee

Intellectual Visionary
Oct 16, 2006
Wii Online Code
6267-1290-5033-7224
Has anyone used any battery types besides Alkaline? I would like to know if anyone has done so and experienced bad side affects to the Wiimote because of it.

JoeTheZombie said:
I've used NiMH since the US launch and have had no problems.

And out of curiosity, how many hours on that set of batteries?

I've already killed the sets that came with both my wiimotes, and changed them after about a week. This is why i'm anxiously waiting for the docking station, but on the same set of plans, I was considering using my NiMH batts (as you're doing) from my digi, I've got a few spare sets kickin' around that I could use.

There are untold hours on my rechargeables. I have 16 AAs that are used throughout the house in all my remotes, toys, flashlights, tools, and now the Wii.

If you are asking how long the rechargeables last in the Wii, I don't know... I've never timed it. I would guess I charge them every other week. I usually have a couple already charged in the drawer with the charger, so when a device looses power, I just swap the charged ones in, then charge the dead ones. It takes like 15 minutes to fully charge a set.

JoeTheZombie said:
I've used NiMH since the US launch and have had no problems.

Thanks for the response, I just bought my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and a NiMH Duracell Charger set (got my Wii yesturday hence me only just purchasing such things). The manual states that only Alkaline batteries should be used with the Wiimote, but I personally felt that wouldnt/shouldnt be the case, thought I would ask and confirm 1st though.

I was wondering the same thing but have come to realize the Wii remote just needs an electrical Charge

Alkaline, NiMh, Li-Ion are just technology to store and release the electricity

wondering if Anyone has tried Li-Ion batteries they could possibly give you weeks of juice maybe even month or so since Li-Ion have the longest life.

Energizer E2 are great in my Digi Camera
get 600 clicks with Li-Ion
compared with 400 on NiMh
and 50 or so with Alkaline

I am thinking Nintendo tells you not to use rechargables as it probably cuts into their shares with the Battery companies they purchased just before launch. heheheh

Last edited:
nyk0n said:
...I am thinking Nintendo tells you not to use rechargables as it probably cuts into their shares with the Battery companies they purchased just before launch. heheheh

LOL yep, it puts them out of pocket somewhat when we get more for our money, I mean I just downloaded Donkey Kong Country (SNES) and really they points should be less, considering how old the games are. You could probably pick it up for about £1-£2 in the Pre-owned section of a game store now.

nyk0n said:
wondering if Anyone has tried Li-Ion batteries they could possibly give you weeks of juice maybe even month or so since Li-Ion have the longest life.

Well, Li-Ion batteries produce the same energy as NiMH battery but weighs approximately 25% less. That's why they are nice for portable devices. Another reason Li-Ion batteries have become so popular is that they do not suffer from the "memory effect" at all. Other types of rechargeables can develop a memory that causes them to not fully charge after a lot of use over a length of time. They are also environmentally friendly because they don't contain toxic materials such as Cadmium or Mercury.

When buying rechargeables, look for the mAh rating. The higher the number, the longer the cell will last between charges. Mine are 2500mAh.

Last edited:
I have heard that the newest technology (organic batteries) will offer obscene charge capacity. That's probably what you were thinking about.

Li Ion batteries have to have complex internal circuitry included though to prevent them from quite literally exploding. They have strict working conditions that they must stay within. That is why they will probably never come in regular battery sizes.

NiMH batteries are really much safer in comparison, and not that much worse in capacity. NiMH is even better than Alkaline for many uses, such as digital cams where Alkaline's quick loss of voltage makes them seem to become dead a lot faster. NiMH has a much smoother voltage curve (starting lower though).

Rechargeables shouldn't be used in devices that will totally drain the batteries though. Flashlights, for example. Electronics just stop working at a certain voltage whereas flashlights are just resistors that will drain everything out of the batteries.

My nimh batteries seem to last about 20 hours before they show 1 or 2 out of 4 bars, at which point i recharge them. I'd assume this could be extrapolated to an expected life of 30 hours - they are 2000mAh.
All manufacturers tell you not to use any type of rechargeable batteries because I guess there's always the chance that you're an idiot who'd use batteries that are not handled well and are corroded or leak over time, and then would try to blame them for your stupidity. As far as I've ever been told, there is no risk to using NiMh batteries as long as you're properly taking care of them.

nyk0n said:
I was wondering the same thing but have come to realize the Wii remote just needs an electrical Charge

Alkaline, NiMh, Li-Ion are just technology to store and release the electricity

Amen brutha! Wondering why the question was even asked. A AA battery is a AA battery. Some will just last longer (more mah.) (I realize some are better than others, but you get my point.)

I highly suggest one of these to keep your NiMH batts in good shape.
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c9000-battery-charger.php

Last edited:
There is one difference actually and this is the reason why they say don't use them - they get hotter.

They're just covering themselves as they don't get super hot, but they do get hotter and so there is an increased risk of damage to the device they are in.

I wouldnt' worry about it though, as its not a massive difference and they should be fine.

Back