Nintendo USB to Wireless Adaptor Vs. Wireless Router

bobby1211

R.I.P. Digii
Nov 22, 2006
The Magical Land Of Cubicles
Wii Online Code
6278-1240-3243-3822
So the Nintendo WiFi Adaptor is about $45

What I dont get is that you can buy a Wireless router (a good one even) for $45. If you keep an eye out for a deal you might even get one for Free after rebate. I got a Netgear for less then $40 and Staples was having a sale so I got a free Wireless USB adaptor.

Is there an advantage to buying the Nintendo adaptor other then not having to deal with normal wireless issues and setup? I've read about some having issues installing the Nintendo adaptor so that isnt even an advantage.

Am I missing something?

-Bobby

its easy to secure a router plus no one is going to hack you lol plus you can use it any other wireless device while nintendos adapter is limited to ds and wii.

registerednerd said:
No, actually the router is better in some ways. The range on a router is a lot better, but you have to secure it yourself. The Nintendo adapter is naturally secured.

Actually the Nintendo dongle is not secured in any way, it creates an open wireless network that anyone can access.

infernocs said:
Actually the Nintendo dongle is not secured in any way, it creates an open wireless network that anyone can access.

yes and no there is software that shows who is connecting and you have to manual click on each connection to select that they are allowed to connect and only nintendo products can connect to it unless you have hacked drivers

infernocs said:

i wonder why my roommate cant log on to it with his laptop or DS then :crazy:

but yes i have to keep my computer on 24/7... but it always stays on so thats not an issue.

So those of you that have the adaptor, Is it correct to assume that Any nintendo DS or Wii can connect IF it is set to allow in the software? Or do you have to Disallow all the ones you dont want to connect?

It just sounds like thre is 0 advantage (actually many disadvantages) to getting this thing over a wireless router.

Thanks for any info

-Bobby

Why would you want a nintendo proprietary wireless network when you can have an open network for a few bucks more. Seems like a no brainer to me.

usb adapter range

now im very confused because i dont know the range of the adapter so its quite annoying if i have my wii in a room thts not tht far from my computer do u think i will b able to go online with it?

Nintendos official answer it 30 feet to 100 feet without barriers. Any walls will make this go down a bit.

From what I gather from a quick Google search is that they dont have very good range at all. Some poeple even reporting not being able to go in the room next door with ther DS (same adaptor).

Hope that helps

The usb adapter is suppose to be easier to setup/use.

That is pretty much the only advantage. That and if you are rocking the 56k

Back