Nintendos' E3 Press Conference Discussion Thread

Back in the day the NES ruled because most of its games were completely innovative,

Can I pick up on that one line?

The problem with creating new video games is, as I see it, that after 20+ years of home based systems there are very few new ideas to explore. Sure devs can make another FPS or another driving game that is more accurate or better looking than it's predecessors but it will still be a driving game or a FPS.

Bringing a whole new style or genre of game to the market becomes harder each year purely because of what has come before. The NES had much less history to compete with than the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 do.

Madworld didn't sell a lot SO FAR but IT SOLD ENOUGH according to SEGA. Some people just don't like the black and white graphics and the length is too short so it's actually doing pretty well under the circumstances.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3356

Hardcore games can make some pretty good sales on the Wii. Red Steel, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, Brawl, Metroid Prime, Star Wars: FU, HOTD: 2&3, COD:WAW, etc. Even No More Heroes sold well enough for them to create a second version. The Conduit is going to sell well also guaranteed.
Red Steel sold a bunch because it was the first major FPS for Wii.
RE4 is a port.
UC, you're counting that? It's an on-rails shooter. Sold well, but its a spin off and sold because it had Resident Evil on it.
Brawl, yes, but this is Nintendo's IP.
Metroid Prime, even though it's Nintendo's, it still sold relatively poorly.
Star Wars.. huh? Still, it didn't sell that amazing, but it's a bad game, not original and a movie IP.
HOTD: 2&3, didn't sell that well, again, on-rail shooters and ports?
CoD:WaW sold relatively poorly.
No More Heroes sold 'well enough', a fair example.
Mad World sold poorly, regardless of what Sega wants to tell themselves. Fact is, other developers aren't going to look at MadWorld and say: "Oh boy, we should try to make a hardcore ground up game for the Wii too!"

Were looking for Wii's Gears of War, Left for Dead or Assassin's Creed. New IPs that sell amazing to very well. These are the games that set examples for other developers to embrace.

IMO, it all means not much until The Conduit comes out, then we will see the true fate of the Wii.

Last edited:
Red Steel sold a bunch because it was the first major FPS for Wii.
RE4 is a port.
UC, you're counting that? It's an on-rails shooter. Sold well, but its a spin off and sold because it had Resident Evil on it.
Brawl, yes, but this is Nintendo's IP.
Metroid Prime, even though it's Nintendo's, it still sold relatively poorly.
Star Wars.. huh? Still, it didn't sell that amazing, but it's a bad game, not original and a movie IP.
HOTD: 2&3, didn't sell that well, again, on-rail shooters and ports?
CoD:WaW sold relatively poorly.
No More Heroes sold 'well enough', a fair example.
Mad World sold poorly, regardless of what Sega wants to tell themselves. Fact is, other developers aren't going to look at MadWorld and say: "Oh boy, we should try to make a hardcore ground up game for the Wii too!"

Were looking for Wii's Gears of War, Left for Dead or Assassin's Creed. New IPs that sell amazing to very well. These are the games that set examples for other developers to embrace.

IMO, it all means not much until The Conduit comes out, then we will see the true fate of the Wii.

Call of Duty Wii sold over a million which is surprising because it's WWII and Treyarch half-assed it on the Wii. This alone proves that games for hardcore gamers can sell on the Wii as long as it's not too short and not in black and white.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=23991

Metroid Prime 3 also sold over a million. Why do you think a remake of Prime 1 & 2 and Metroid Other M are being released this year and the next?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6969

If a game sells well enough or even better on the Wii that means that developers and publishers made a profit out of it. Which means that they will most likely make sequels or games similar to them. That's why the Conduit, Grinder, Red Steel 2, Metroid M, No More Heroes 2, Sin & Punishment 2, Silent Hill, Gladiator, etc. are all being developed for the Wii and the Wii only (excluding Silent Hill). Do you really think Red Steel only sold because it was the 1st FPS on the Wii? Why would Ubisoft be making Red Steel 2 if they thought Red Steel was just luck? Do you really think Red Steel 2 wouldn't sell over a mil? That game alone makes me want to get my Wii fixed but I'll probably get it fixed really soon cuz WiiMotion Plus games are coming out.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 3 also sold over a million. Why do you think a remake of Prime 1 & 2 and Metroid Other M are being released this year and the next?
900,000 of those sells were Metroid fanatics. It didn't break through to the casuals.

And they're doing remakes because it's ridiculously cheap, takes very little time, people will buy them because there's nothing else to buy for Wii, and because they don't have anything else to put on the market right now.

Can I pick up on that one line?

The problem with creating new video games is, as I see it, that after 20+ years of home based systems there are very few new ideas to explore. Sure devs can make another FPS or another driving game that is more accurate or better looking than it's predecessors but it will still be a driving game or a FPS.

Bringing a whole new style or genre of game to the market becomes harder each year purely because of what has come before. The NES had much less history to compete with than the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 do.

Disagree. We have technology we didn´t have then, so logically it follows we can innovate things we couldn´t have back then, and we also have a different environment and experiences that we didn´t have before. It´s like saying writing as an art will die at some point because after more than 2000 years of history people should run out of things to say.

That´s not the problem, the problem is that the market is so saturated that great, novel games drown while games that have a name (shovelware included) are sold because of the name. Think of The Wolrd Ends with You, it was great, but you don´t see a lot of people talking about it, because it just wasn´t something you´d recognize. Also happened to Zack and Wiki, and even Okami, which to a degree was better than Zelda, but sales were mediocre in comparison.

900,000 of those sells were Metroid fanatics. It didn't break through to the casuals.

And they're doing remakes because it's ridiculously cheap, takes very little time, people will buy them because there's nothing else to buy for Wii, and because they don't have anything else to put on the market right now.

This dosent make any sense. I thought the idea of whats wrong with the Wii is it has no games for the core gamer. Now they sell some good games and your point is the people that bought it were "Metroid fanatics"? So it dont count? Are you for real? There is PLENTY of stuff on the Wii for the casual gamer, they dont need a core game like the MP's. Besides, dosent it say something for the MP series that they have so many "fanatics"? I dont see anyone discounting Halo 2 and 3 because they only sold to fanatics.

Please stop grasping at straws when someone points out holes in you logic.

Also, they are remaking the MP games because the Wii controls are WAY better than DA, in my opinion, i know others like DA but this is the way i feel. The Game Cube controler was the main reason i never got into the MP games. Thats ganna change now.

I see your point on the remakes but you forgot about the brand new Metroid coming out so does the Metroid Other M project look rediculously cheap to you? Why do you say that they don't have anything coming out when they just released Excitebots, Punch-Out, and soon to be released Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, and Super Mario Bros. for the holidays? There could still be even more that's still unannounced. Can you explain why Call of Duty sold over a mil on the Wii? Please don't tell me because of Call of Duty fanatics or I will totally lose hope in you.

This dosent make any sense. I thought the idea of whats wrong with the Wii is it has no games for the core gamer. Now they sell some good games and your point is the people that bought it were "Metroid fanatics"? So it dont count? Are you for real? There is PLENTY of stuff on the Wii for the casual gamer, they dont need a core game like the MP's. Besides, dosent it say something for the MP series that they have so many "fanatics"? I dont see anyone discounting Halo 2 and 3 because they only sold to fanatics.

Please stop grasping at straws when someone points out holes in you logic.

Also, they are remaking the MP games because the Wii controls are WAY better than DA, in my opinion, i know others like DA but this is the way i feel. The Game Cube controler was the main reason i never got into the MP games. Thats ganna change now.
Amazing, you completely ignore the majority of his post to pick on one statement..

Yes his first statement was a little off, I believe what he meant is Metroid Prime sold to the people who were already into Metroid, there wasn't a new market break-through that showed over developers that the Wii had an untapped market.

Amazing, you completely ignore the majority of his post to pick on one statement..

Yes his first statement was a little off, I believe what he meant is Metroid Prime sold to the people who were already into Metroid, there wasn't a new market break-through that showed over developers that the Wii had an untapped market.

At least he knows that Metroid sold well. What Metroid showed to the developers was that if you make a HIGH-QUALITY hardcore title on the Wii it will sell. That's why Treyarch made Call of Duty: WAW for the Wii and it sold over a mil. That's why HVS is making the Conduit and it will sell well. That's why Ubisoft is making Red Steel 2. That's why HVS is making the Grinder. That's why........I'm tired of typing.

Red Steel was such a mediocre game, you have to be a fool to deny that it only sold as much as it did because it was a launch title.

CoD: WaW had a huge series backing it. Not much it had to prove for it to sell.

New IPs, let me repeat this, NEW, are the true tests. The ones that sell based off of nothing except how good they are and how much the audience wants them.

Red Steel was such a mediocre game, you have to be a fool to deny that it only sold as much as it did because it was a launch title.

New IPs, let me repeat this, NEW, are the true tests. The ones that sell based off of nothing except how good they are and how much the audience wants them.

Ok new IP's need to sell well on the Wii for it to be good?

I dont know about that. I can see what your saying and i respect the argument, i just dont agree.

Hopefully the Conduit will sell well and i have to admit that would be a big boon for the system.

But it still looks like anti-Nintendo people are just looking for reasons to say the Wii sucks. Maby thats the case with some and not with others its just how i feel. First he Wii dosent make core games, then there core games dont sell, now its because there core games arent new IP's.

Like bruceleroy im tired of typing, at least about this.

Red Steel sold cuz it was a launch title. Metroid sold because it was made by Nintendo. Resident Evil 4 sold because it was a port. Call of Duty sold cuz it had a huge series backing it. Star Wars sold because it was a movie. Resident Evil:UC sold cuz it was on-rails. No More Heroes sold cuz ??? If the Conduit sells well, what's your excuse for that one? Because it had aliens and aliens don't count?

Red Steel sold cuz it was a launch title. Metroid sold because it was made by Nintendo. Resident Evil 4 sold because it was a port. Call of Duty sold cuz it had a huge series backing it. Star Wars sold because it was a movie. Resident Evil:UC sold cuz it was on-rails. No More Heroes sold cuz ??? If the Conduit sells well, what's your excuse for that one? Because it had aliens and aliens don't count?

Let's break it down with logic.

Company A, Company B and Company C

Company A makes an original, mature, IP, Madworld, it sells poorly
Company B makes shovelware like Carnival Games, it sells like hot cakes

Now, if you were Company C, based on the history of Company A and B, which business model would make more sense to follow?

Back