Nintendos' E3 Press Conference Discussion Thread

ok, I've absorbed pretty much all E3 info by now, and my one great comment is: epic FAIL.

No, I don't agree with all these close-minded fans who cry about wii not having some uninspired FPS like Halo or Call of Duty, because the reality is that HVS is probably going to make up for it, and so will Red Steel 2.
I also don't agree Nintendo Wii is going to die, because this year Third-parties have been doing a groin-grabbingly good job.
What really annoys me is that all these so called designers and game creators and such have seemingly no creativity left what-so-ever. All companies seem to rely on big franchises like Mario, Zelda and Metroid(Nintendo), Final Fantasy, God of War, Metal Gear, Left 4 Dead and Halo (the other two), and so on and so forth for most the other companies. They expect to sell because of the name, not because of innovation. Meanwhile, they sit on their big piles of cash while we wait for people like 2D Boy, who did World of Goo, to really do something new.

Seriously, this E3 seemed to focus entirely on catching up from last E3, and that stands for all major companies. Nintendo tries to make Metroid hard core, Microsoft tries to get attention with Natal (big surprise...*facepalm*) and idk wth sony is doing 'cause theirs bored me. Also, what's the deal with this Milo crap? are we supposed to have conversations with our consoles now, or is it some big scam for microsoft to mine even more of our personal information?

Where's creativity gone to? especially nintendo, there's so much they can do. They release a game like Brawl that shows in splendor the great franchises Nintendo has a hold of, and they focus only on three and leave the rest to gather dust? Lame.

if you ask me, golden sun was the one big thing Nintendo said. I would have been glad to see Sin and Punishment, Pikmin, F-Zero, Starfox, a goddam Kid icarus game that could easily become Nintendo's God of War, Luigi's Mansion which would work wonders with motion plus, etc. Let Mario have some coma rest so that people begin to miss him a little bit more. Same goes for zelda, let the franchise rest before sending link on a choo-choo quest.

Meanwhile, Miyamoto-san is happy talking about some island in wii fit.

/end rant

Please see my post in the Super Mario Galaxy 2 thread.

Where's creativity gone to? especially nintendo, there's so much they can do. They release a game like Brawl that shows in splendor the great franchises Nintendo has a hold of, and they focus only on three and leave the rest to gather dust? Lame.
I do agree with that, Nintendo has such a mass amount of franchises that they have yet to touch for years including F-Zero, Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong (nothing really substantial in a while), Kid Icarus, Earthbound. All of these series are crying out for a reboot. There is no need to continue to rely on these safety crutches like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Although all those games are awesome I really wish they would bring back some classic franchises. They could use Wiiware as a way to make some inexpensive "test-runs" of these games in order to get some crowd response.

Well, there are reasons for EarthBound... but let's not get on that subject. :D

Last edited:
ok, I've absorbed pretty much all E3 info by now, and my one great comment is: epic FAIL.

No, I don't agree with all these close-minded fans who cry about wii not having some uninspired FPS like Halo or Call of Duty, because the reality is that HVS is probably going to make up for it, and so will Red Steel 2.
I also don't agree Nintendo Wii is going to die, because this year Third-parties have been doing a groin-grabbingly good job.

What really annoys me is that all these so called designers and game creators and such have seemingly no creativity left what-so-ever. All companies seem to rely on big franchises like Mario, Zelda and Metroid(Nintendo), Final Fantasy, God of War, Metal Gear, Left 4 Dead and Halo (the other two), and so on and so forth for most the other companies. They expect to sell because of the name, not because of innovation. Meanwhile, they sit on their big piles of cash while we wait for people like 2D Boy, who did World of Goo, to really do something new.

I dunno, Sony's ModNation racers was pretty original. The Last Guardian isn't particularly being paraded for its brand name (in spite of Team ICO being well-known), MAG stood out for its unrivaled ambition, Uncharted 2 isn't exactly feeding off a big franchise just yet (more like a niche franchise in transition), and although their Wiimote knock-off wasn't innovative, it's applying the concept where it has its potential.

Even though there were many tried and tested franchises in the keynote, they backed it with a bunch of incoming content that will be fresh to the industry like Heavy Rain, Hannah Montana PSP stuff, the PSP-PS3 functionalities, and so on. In the end, Sony hardly made me feel like they were entrusting themselves in big names to sell their console...more like they had a bunch of stuff on their agenda, and just happened to showcase many of the big names for wow factor.

Last edited:
What else is being 'bashed' if that's what you want to call discussing.

Though, is a 'discussion' thread suppose to be everyone saying: "OmG it was awesome. Everything was perfect!"?

Doesn't sound like there's much to discuss there.

My point was the 08 E3 was bad...the 09 E3 was good.

People are bashing the 09 E3 arent they? Am i in the wrong thread?

There is no discussion here. Some people here are stating there opinions like there fact and talking to us like were some stupid child for thinking the way we do. We like the Wii you hate it. Discussion over.

Seriously, this E3 seemed to focus entirely on catching up from last E3, and that stands for all major companies. Nintendo tries to make Metroid hard core, Microsoft tries to get attention with Natal (big surprise...*facepalm*) and idk wth sony is doing 'cause theirs bored me. Also, what's the deal with this Milo crap? are we supposed to have conversations with our consoles now, or is it some big scam for microsoft to mine even more of our personal information?

if you ask me, golden sun was the one big thing Nintendo said. I would have been glad to see Sin and Punishment, Pikmin, F-Zero, Starfox, a goddam Kid icarus game that could easily become Nintendo's God of War, Luigi's Mansion which would work wonders with motion plus, etc. Let Mario have some coma rest so that people begin to miss him a little bit more. Same goes for zelda, let the franchise rest before sending link on a choo-choo quest.

Meanwhile, Miyamoto-san is happy talking about some island in wii fit.

/end rant
Unfair to claim that L4D is selling by name, because its such a new game still. But there's plenty of new games like Prototype, Infamous and DJ Hero.

And Milo, from what I understand, is just a complex tech demo, to show off of all the features of NATAL.

Point is.

Nintendo are RAPING the other companies profit-wise. We all know this.

It probably costs them $20 to make each Wii these days, and there still hasn't been a price drop.

Yet they don't choose to spend this money on improving online content or speeding up development and hiring/buying new 2nd party talent.

For them to keep playing it safe with their games to 'appeal to the casual gamers' means I've lost interest.

They could pull off 720p with the Wii I'm sure. They could also do a pretty good job at online, but they keep playing the 'casual gamers' card. Which is such an excuse to be lazy.

Point is Nintendo no longer rules E3. Not having Miyamoto there kind of proves this IMO, if he isnt running out on stage keen to playtest a teaser of Mario Galaxy 2, they arent putting enough effort into their games.

And agreed with Sovieto, L4D... is a brand new franchise, and its actually successful, I dont see a problem with it. Its online is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Nintendo's attempts at new franchises are pretty poor TBH.
"oh hai guyz, herez pikmanz!...you walk around and complete level-based puzzles by throwing flowers at ****!"

Point is.

It probably costs them $20 to make each Wii these days, and there still hasn't been a price drop.

Yet they don't choose to spend this money on improving online content or speeding up development and hiring/buying new 2nd party talent.

For them to keep playing it safe with their games to 'appeal to the casual gamers' means I've lost interest.

They could pull off 720p with the Wii I'm sure. They could also do a pretty good job at online, but they keep playing the 'casual gamers' card. Which is such an excuse to be lazy.

Point is Nintendo no longer rules E3. Not having Miyamoto there kind of proves this IMO, if he isnt running out on stage keen to playtest a teaser of Mario Galaxy 2, they arent putting enough effort into their games.

And agreed with Sovieto, L4D... is a brand new franchise, and its actually successful, I dont see a problem with it. Its online is awesome, awesome, awesome.

"oh hai guyz, herez pikmanz!...you walk around and complete level-based puzzles by throwing flowers at ****!"

Fair enough, i disagree. Have fun with your 360 or PS3, what ever one you have.

Point is.

Who's the #1 selling video game company in terms of hardware this gen?

Nintendo (Wii, DS, Wii Fit, Wii Play)

Who's the #1 selling video game company in terms of software this gen?

Nintendo (Mario Kart 15M, Wii Sports 45M, Brawl 8M, Mario Galaxy 8M)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

What's the formula that Nintendo sticks by?

Makes games that can be played by everyone. Nintendo developed/published the best selling fighting game, party game, platformer, racing, role-playing, sports, puzzle, and simulation. That's 8 out of the 13 gaming genres.

Why change the formula when it's the best formula?

So you could please the Nintendo haters.

Who knows what they're doing? You or Nintendo?

I think I'll go w/ Nintendo on this one.

What does all this mean?

You can lose faith or hate on Nintendo all you want but Nintendo knows what they're doing. You may think that they don't rule E3 anymore but they still and will rule the industry as long as they keep doing what they're doing which is making fun games for everyone.

Last edited:
Yeah the formula is VERY successful as theyre tapping into an audience of non-gamers, which is bigger, much bigger than hardcore gamers. I have much respect for what they did, but now they need to appeal to the actual gamers, the ones that own Wiis which are collecting dust in a cupboard.

I consider myself more of a hardcore gamer than a non-gamer though, so their forumla doesn't suit my gaming needs. Hence I sold my Wii and bought a PS3 (and upgraded my PC).

I had FUN with my Wii, but it didnt offer the experience I wanted.

BTW, extreme sales doesnt equal good gameplay. Take all the shovelware titles on Wii, little kids LOVE that stuff and parents don't know ANYthing about games so they buy them....gamers hate it, yet it still sells.

See my point is, everyone is going to see Nintendo's E3 in a different light. For me personally, it was a failure.

BTW, WiiSports hardly counts. Its a pack of minigames shipped with the console. Its like saying Solitaire on Windows is the highest selling game of eternity as every single PC has it.

Yeah the formula is VERY successful as theyre tapping into an audience of non-gamers, which is bigger, much bigger than hardcore gamers. I have much respect for what they did, but now they need to appeal to the actual gamers, the ones that own Wiis which are collecting dust in a cupboard.

I consider myself more of a hardcore gamer than a non-gamer though, so their forumla doesn't suit my gaming needs. Hence I sold my Wii and bought a PS3 (and upgraded my PC).

I had FUN with my Wii, but it didnt offer the experience I wanted.

BTW, extreme sales doesnt equal good gameplay. Take all the shovelware titles on Wii, little kids LOVE that stuff and parents don't know ANYthing about games so they buy them....gamers hate it, yet it still sells.

See my point is, everyone is going to see Nintendo's E3 in a different light. For me personally, it was a failure.

BTW, WiiSports hardly counts. Its a pack of minigames shipped with the console. Its like saying Solitaire on Windows is the highest selling game of eternity as every single PC has it.

WiiSports was only packed in in some regions around the world. For example, Japanese people had to purchase it because it wasn't packed in in Japan. Wii Sports Resort will also top the sales charts regardless of what Sony/MS do with their motion control prototypes because consumers care about what's out right now, not in a few years.

Games like Mario Kart, Mario, Brawl, Wii Sports, etc. are Nintendo's top sellers. Are those shovelware to you? The fact that shovelware also sells on the Wii proves that if you develop a game for the Wii then chances are that it will sell. It may not sell a lot immediately but it will sell eventually. That's why all types of games are being developed for the Wii. From shovelware games for kids to party games for everyone such as Wii Sports Resort, Boom Blox, Mario Kart, etc. to Nintendo classics for Nintendo fanboys such as Punch Out, Brawl, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to hardcore titles such as Red Steel, Grinder, Conduit, NMH2, Madworld, Call of Duty, etc. It's a system for everyone who likes different types of games.

Last edited:
WiiSports was only packed in in some regions around the world. For example, Japanese people had to purchase it because it wasn't packed in in Japan. Wii Sports Resort will also top the sales charts regardless of what Sony/MS do with their motion control prototypes because consumers care about what's out right now, not in a few years.

Games like Mario Kart, Mario, Brawl, Wii Sports, etc. are Nintendo's top sellers. Are those shovelware to you? The fact that shovelware also sells on the Wii proves that if you develop a game for the Wii then chances are that it will sell. It may not sell a lot immediately but it will sell eventually. And games like MadWorld that are 'hardcore' games build exclusively for the Wii don't sell. That's why shovelware games are being developed for the Wii. From shovelware games for kids to party games for everyone such as Wii Sports Resort, Boom Blox, Mario Kart, etc. to Nintendo classics for Nintendo fanboys such as Punch Out, Brawl, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to hardcore titles such as Red Steel, Grinder, Conduit, NMH2, Madworld, Call of Duty, etc. It's a system for everyone who likes different types of games.

Fixed.. :rolleyes:

Madworld didn't sell a lot SO FAR but IT SOLD ENOUGH according to SEGA. Some people just don't like the black and white graphics and the length is too short so it's actually doing pretty well under the circumstances.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3356

Hardcore games can make some pretty good sales on the Wii. Red Steel, Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, Brawl, Metroid Prime, Star Wars: FU, HOTD: 2&3, COD:WAW, etc. Even No More Heroes sold well enough for them to create a second version. The Conduit is going to sell well also guaranteed.

Are you trying to say Pikmin was bad? great game, completely unique.

Left 4 Dead is relatively new, but since it did good, now they bank on left 4 dead 2. And from personal experience, I believe it is good to leave a few years in between before releasing sequels. Look at what happened to the original Megaman series, went down the drain as fast as it became popular.

And to me it really doesn't matter that Nintendo is kicking a** and taking names, because in the end they're still becoming passive in comparison to what they were. Back in the day the NES ruled because most of its games were completely innovative, and different from the working formula of space shooters. That's what makes Nintendo what they are, the fact they are supposed to have brilliant geniuses who come up with new stuff that doesn't rely on focus groups or fads to be good.
And now, here's an E3 where they banked completely on stuff they've always had, they're going for safety instead of having balls and doing something new.
Sure, there are good games out and on the horizon, but as a person who knows games and has played them almost all his life, I want the novelty back, I want games that will make me go "holly f***, this is fun." In the past two years, only Brawl and World of Goo have managed this for me, and Brawl only because I was fond of melee and because it is such a museum of video game nostalgia. The rest of the games feel so repetitive, and that's because companies think all hardcore want FPS, and suddenly all good games have to be bloody FPS.

Personally, I'm waiting for this generation's Miyamoto to remind people in this business what they're supposed to do.

Back